Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
May I ask who answered You (don't count me ) "look at how other do it"?

BTW, electroaudio, in meantime, could You please check how "others" are doing it? I.E examine some small package with custom content - it can be even simple menu/shortcut icon (must be placed in correct place, .desktop file mu be also placed/created automatically).
Sethkha and i have searced a lot , and we have had a lot of correspondence about it. but we have not managed to find anything that works yet.

Ps. for the thread about "see how others"... it is in the developer forum, just search for autobuilder

Of course, I also can check it myself, but ....
The fact is: most things in life are easy if you know how to do it.
I didn't search who gave me that answer, because that's totally irrelevant.
You wrote that too, therefore you took this arguments as your argument, why shouldn't I count you in then?
Now finding yourself on the other side. Would you still answer somebody that way? Would you say you where just to lazy to give us and the community some of your time, although you promised that?

I think you've misunderstood me totally - when I suggested "check how other do it", I did it from point of someone who don't know neither, and suggest possible way of finding, i.e. which I would try first being in Your place.

The answer You've got, is from someone who already know how to do it, but doesn't care to help. Even, when You've asked very precisely about what You're trying to achieve. IMO, that's (response from knowledgeable one) not in the spirit of FOSS.

I'm actually "giving" my time to find solution for this, and I just like it. Even given the fact, that finding answer for this - one could say - relatively basic things is becoming absurdly hard. That's why I wanted to know where You get such an answer - to go there and make some things clear Anyway, electroaudio answered me, so I'll try that. Also, please don't cut quotations from my messages in a way, that suggest something different, from what I've said It's pure sophism. Full sentence was:

Of course, I also can check it myself, but first I need to accustom myself with packaging interface in "real" life, so it would be probably faster from your side, cause You've already "did it".
Irrelevant for the case, but worth mentioning - aren't You, sethkha, a "little" over-reactive?

BTW, it's pity a little that you guys tried other package methods "documenting" it only on PM conversation between You both - if that would be done here, maybe someone would be able to set this puzzles...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-09-10 at 17:30.

... relatively basic things is becoming absurdly hard...

]...sophism...
This has nothing to do with sophism. I didn't want to prove anything with the quote. Why do you think it suggests something different?

[I would do it] but ...
[I would do it] but [reason]

It's clear that your sentence isn't over where I cut it. The "but" implies there is a reason. Everyone interested in that reason can see it two posts above.

Irrelevant for the case, but worth mentioning - aren't You, sethkha, a "little" over-reactive?
No, why do you think so? And why do you think it's worth mentioning? I only can think of it as an argumentum ad hominem.

... PM conversation between ...
Yes I thought about that. And I can't remember what it was in special,but some of it was already mentioned in the thread and my answers to his messages were "no, I still think it must be put in a controlfile. I am still waiting for you. If you tell me or electroaudio to do it, it looks like you don't want to do it anymore.

As i have clearly stated, I asked electroaudio to check this, cause he got some experience with autobuilder, and I only just got upload privileges - so I need to get accustomed to it = need more time. I don't like to quote myself, what I'm writing now is almost exact copy of what I've written then...

---

Back on topic - what I thinking about, is to unpack some "respected" - one that we know is doing this right - deb package (via dpkg, but *not* install - just unpack), and examine it scripts/control files.

I don't exactly get why you guys were not able to figure it out that way, but it's likely before I've not seen Your conversation on PM. If You've tried it and it failed, I would like to know *why* it failed, before trying the same things myself - possibly a waste of time, if someone else already checked it (you both).

I hope now my motivation etc is clear enough
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I don't exactly get why you guys were not able to figure it out that way,
i tried it, but packages dont contain the information needed to create them, so it was a dead end...
And my work with the autobuilder is quite simple. sethkha performs a couple of commands that makes a couple of files and i just uploads those files to the autobuilder.

OK, I understand that and I agree it's dead end (it should be forwarded to thread with "check how others do it" - it's good argument, and we are meritocratic society, after all).

Ho ever, could You please tell me if you've examined postinst scripts? It seems to me that setting up .desktop files, icons (at least for desktop shortcuts...) etc. should be done there. Am I wrong?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

could You please tell me if you've examined postinst scripts? It seems to me that setting up .desktop files, icons (at least for desktop shortcuts...) etc. should be done there. Am I wrong?
Usually that is part of the data.tar package inside the .deb and all that contains is folders with the contents that should be added, with a complete path from root...
-But the postinst script was a dead end too, the problem is to make the data.tar package in the autobuilder so it includes the icons (with its final path) right now we are examining makefile.ah which we guess is a step in the right direction, but it is probably a web of functions that must work together...

Ok, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I'm getting to work on this...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Love the concept - however it is simply not working...