Poll: Would you be willing to donate to Maemo?
Poll Options
Would you be willing to donate to Maemo?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Hootenholler View Post
The question was asked and people answered... Call it Naysaying if you like... why should I pay for it again?
Many people want Maemo to be further progressed and you have to realise one thing only... it belongs to Nokia !.... yes NOKIA and without there approval NOTHING will move forward... sorry to tell you this but is fact.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Forest of Dean, England.
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
For an open source 'project', I think this thread is doing it s-backward.

It's turning into an investment round to fund the core development and there are even people who are already jockeying for a job in this new venture.

I can forgive your narrow vision, but not the ownership of an iPhone 4...wtf?!

Its not about a new venture, its about enabling existing and new users to enjoy Maemo, on the N900 and newer faster devices and thus securing an extended future for the OS.

Most of all, its a thread, a poll, not a binding contract, just something little to get a feeling of what might be possible. All of a sudden we are calling in the consultants and the lawyers!

That said, if this thread is anything to go by, we are, frankly, well and trully fncked, so I guess my Poll in its own way is a success in at least showing that the end is already in sight.

PICTURES TAKEN WITH MY N900

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
This is Maemo.org and the right place for development of Maemo, if it can not happen on here then it will not happen anywhere else.

I have tried in vain to get something moving and as serious as i am there are just far too many naysayers and people who just want to make probems on this forum, nothing happens or moves forward.

Someone needs to have a serious talk with Reggie about this

1: Totally agree

2: Again, totally agree. Makes a person wonder why they come on a form dedicated to the OS known as Maemo. Very negative and exhausting

3: Whos Reggie?

The Following User Says Thank You to thebtman For This Useful Post:
Personally i think Nokia should get involved and donate funds to a dedicated team of developers who would continue to support Maemo on a full time or part time basis (because most people will migrate to another platform) BUT would also get guarantees on quarterly fund injections over a 12 month period which would get reviewed on the 11 month of the contract to check on demand.

edit

This is a long shot.

2ND EDIT

I said yes to donate but i meant to tick maybe.

** i am dedicated to the N900 because it does everything i need in a phone/tablet so much so that i have agreed with vodafone to reduce my contract from #35 per month to #15 per month for 4 months then i will look at the market and maybe continue for another 4 months on the reduced fee.

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

Last edited by Bazza; 2011-09-11 at 02:58.

Originally Posted by thebtman View Post
1: Totally agree

2: Again, totally agree. Makes a person wonder why they come on a form dedicated to the OS known as Maemo. Very negative and exhausting

3: Whos Reggie?
I have never come across such people we got on here.... really, because all you will get is an argument against everything as you have seen from a few on here.

Reggie is the Aministrator of this site and he can make or break anything and everything.

IF a SIZEABLE fund can be got together or the clear vision of then put together a plan and talk to Nokia direct because after all this time i think the closed components have a much better chance of being opened up but can only be done by Nokia.

Without the full source of the OS of Maemo nobody will even attempt to further progress Maemo and this is the real problem.

The hardware problem of the device is easy to put right but you still have the RAM to get over as it is only 256mb, ok you can make swap and all will be a little faster but the other problem is having a newer more up to date device to write to, not just the N900, the N9 is an obvious choice but that is for Meego and no one knows just how development will go on that score yet.

My personal opinion after doing mountains of research and trying to gain ground on Maemo development is telling me to forget it and allow it to die and i do not say them words without personal experiance both on here and my own research.

I admire your approach and the enthusiasm but as you will see on your thread that nothing will become of it and you will be like me in the end and give up.

The only real way forward is the old fashioned way and that is to derive every single data sheet on every part of the N900, the hardware flow chart and then start from the beggining and do it all over again, this will need a dedicated team with proper management and the much needed funds to do so.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
I would donate 10$ the guys working on maemo right now are doing a great job with absolutely no support and while knowing nokia pissed on the os. So yeah I would donate without thinking twice.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I have never come across such people we got on here.... really, because all you will get is an argument against everything as you have seen from a few on here.

Reggie is the Aministrator of this site and he can make or break anything and everything.

IF a SIZEABLE fund can be got together or the clear vision of then put together a plan and talk to Nokia direct because after all this time i think the closed components have a much better chance of being opened up but can only be done by Nokia.

Without the full source of the OS of Maemo nobody will even attempt to further progress Maemo and this is the real problem.

The hardware problem of the device is easy to put right but you still have the RAM to get over as it is only 256mb, ok you can make swap and all will be a little faster but the other problem is having a newer more up to date device to write to, not just the N900, the N9 is an obvious choice but that is for Meego and no one knows just how development will go on that score yet.

My personal opinion after doing mountains of research and trying to gain ground on Maemo development is telling me to forget it and allow it to die and i do not say them words without personal experiance both on here and my own research.

I admire your approach and the enthusiasm but as you will see on your thread that nothing will become of it and you will be like me in the end and give up.

The only real way forward is the old fashioned way and that is to derive every single data sheet on every part of the N900, the hardware flow chart and then start from the beggining and do it all over again, this will need a dedicated team with proper management and the much needed funds to do so.

Yep, bloody hard work isnt it!

I agree with everything you have said.

What these negative people dont realise is that people power is more powerful than anything. The riots were a prime example of how powerful the illusion of power really is.

Anything can be achieved if enough people come together and sadly it just aint happening here, which tbh is a surprise to me.

I'm totally baffled why anyone would refuse to give $10 (£6.50).

Originally Posted by thebtman View Post
Yep, bloody hard work isnt it!

I agree with everything you have said.

What these negative people dont realise is that people power is more powerful than anything. The riots were a prime example of how powerful the illusion of power really is.

Anything can be achieved if enough people come together and sadly it just aint happening here, which tbh is a surprise to me.

I'm totally baffled why anyone would refuse to give $10 (£6.50).
The problems are confusion and not having enough positivety, Meego is causing the most of it as people wait for the CE team to finally put together a flashable image for the device.

If Meego never exsisted and we only had Maemo i am sure it would be a lot more straight forward as in only the one direction to go.

All you can do is sit tight and just wait as many are doing.

The N900 is never going to be even paralelled i doubt so it is a very unique device and as long as it stays alive has many possiblities but one problem that is not easy to get over is emmc detachment that will occur if it is dropped after it has lived for a year or so, have to be very carefull with the device now as it is becoming very brittle inside, another reason for its future doubts.

I am throwing negativity here as well but i AM a realist and as much as i truly love the device the key lies with Nokia so there is the direction you must approach at some point.

Looking at the results of the poll is obviously promising but remember we have Meego on the go and if and when they do succeed with a N900 OS, everyone will shift to that for sure.

So I think my vote should be "shifted", cause I would donate much more for keeping our infrastructure alive and happy, but *not* for actual development "goal", to "contract" programmers on it.

It's *not* what about FOSS is. Money is required, sure - for keeping infrastructure, "platform" for talented developers, testers, and users. To make possibilities. What you're proposing thebtman, is to switch for commercial approach, with just many small investors, instead of one/two big ones.

// Edit

to make things clear - donating for great people here and great projects like H-E-N, CSSU, power kernel or whatsnot - all is ok.

Paying some regular programmer, without any ties with Maemo, to do coding job for maemo - not. Such a person wil ldo her/his "work", then leave, without a chance for fixing bugs, enhancing functionality etc. Normal in closed source world, but in Open world, its called "Dead project" Even when we could have sources, someone willing to just earn money and make it as fast as possible, will leave code mess (for example, check how HAM works, and compare it to fapman...)
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-09-11 at 03:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
...under different name, probably, due to trademark issues...
MAGemo?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsolano For This Useful Post:

Tags
open-core trap, telethon time