Active Topics

Poll: Would you be willing to donate to Maemo?
Poll Options
Would you be willing to donate to Maemo?

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
onethreealpha, daneel, if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. If you feel this strongly against abill (and I don't blame you), then please use the ignore feature and stop being part of the problem.
----

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
All i ever see is talk talk talk talk, then..... talk talk talk talk......then ....... even more talk talk talk talk.
Abill, this is TALK.maemo.org. If you're not satisfied, i recoomend you take your business elsewhere, say action.maemo.org. It's high time you made a valuable contribution to the community.
---

Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
How?
Will we create a bank account?
Accountable for managing the account?

Whitewolf,
This would not be a great issue. Meego Coding competition is a good example of how transparently donations can be managed.
----

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
wondering how many real devs are actually reading this or is it just a wish fulfillment fanfest
Frappacino, this is more of a gathering of non-devs, trying to help maemo forward using the only tools we have, our time and money. It is our hope that our efforts will lead/encourage/motivate developers to improve and increase development on maemo.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
The troublemakers on this thread have either voted no or maybe or have not voted at all how ironic !.

I think we all know the situation now.

Is no wonder this forum is nothing but a real shambles.

Now that we have 150+ posts on the subject and quite a bit of good ideas, we need to start finalising what exactly we want to do. SO in that respect, I am going to try to summarize the main ideas put forward so far.

a. Use donation as payment to developers to port maemo to higher spec device, possibly Samsung Galaxy S II (by thebtman)

b. Merge with Debian (proposed by ivyking)

c. Use funds as "bounty" to get some of the closed source maemo apps like Media Player/calender rewritten (by myself and ysss, I am his follower, afterall :P)

d. Help Meego on N900 effort

e. Encourage developers to backport Meego apps.

f. Myriad Alien Dalvik? (to be rejected or not?)

g. Donate to CSSU team. (Rejected. They are not accepting donations)

h. Reverse-Engineer all closed source components/get source from stskeeps (by abill. Rejected on legal and practical grounds)

i. Use funds to keep the infrastructure alive (Rejected. not needed for atleast one more year as discussed before)

-----

Please remind me if I have forgotten/misunderstood any of the ideas. I will modify this post as required.

Now, we need a action plan for these ideas, from the person who proposed or anybody else. Basically a short post saying:
a. what is the proposal
b. How are the funds going to be used? (Proper numbers, not vague ideas of I will pay all the money to so-and-so, etc. So do some research)
c. how much money do you expect to raise, etc

Especially for Debian merge, how will funds be utilized? What is the exact proceedure?

Finally, we may either reach a consensus here( highly doubtful) or we can open a new thread/poll with all the required details and let the community vote on it.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

Last edited by ejasmudar; 2011-09-12 at 13:35.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Ok guys I just wanna start with an interesting quotation:

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think funding for infrastructure continuity can be put on a backburner, since Nokia has pledged its support for maemo til the end of 2012. A backup plan in the unlikely case of Nokia terminating its support earlier than 'end of 2012' wouldn't be such a bad idea, but it's something that can be setup within short notice and coordinated through other channels anyway (irc, mailing list).

Imo in this case, we should just be straightforward and say, "Hey, we're a group of N900 lovers who wish to see yet a few more years of this platform to grow by getting A, B, C components opened; whether by license/code release from the current original owner or whether they're a completely rewritten/clean reverse-engineered plug-in replacement. We've collected a donation of XXX amount and we would be glad to offer this as bounty for fulfilment of said goals. Cheers. "
I'd like to go with the idea of using an independent and transparent platform for funding.
I suggest kickstarter.com for raising funds once we got the mercenaries willing to reverse engineer the **ck outta maemo.

The main point here is this, how we should proceed to select people with talent and willing to do this? Should we aim at selected dev's or outsource a dev's company?
I think, (seeing the positive reaction to this post) money wouldn't be a problem, but to getting talented dev's in maemo's way is.

I donated to a food program for the horn of africa catastrophe. If y'all have $10 you want to donate, please hold these two causes up against one another. Then donate where you feel it will make the most difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I donated to a food program for the horn of africa catastrophe. If y'all have $10 you want to donate, please hold these two causes up against one another. Then donate where you feel it will make the most difference.
The two aren't really mutually exclusive, is it? Feel free to provide a link here to the NGO to whom you donated.

Ok, my ACTION PLAN
a. what is the proposal
Provide a bounty for getting certain parts of Maemo (like Calender, Media Player, Browser) rewritten (or ported from Meego) as open source replacements. This should be in such a state so that it can be a part of CSSU. This can help in lengthening the life of our N900s

b. How are the funds going to be used?
There are two ways we can go with this.
a. We can either collect the complete funds together and divide it equally (or according to merit) and offer bounties for each individual project. For eg: Complete rewrite of calender, say $500, etc etc

b. Or each donor could specify whether he is donating for a specific project or to the general fund. This way, the projects that intrest most people will get a higher bounty and hence more chance to be solved quickly.

Something like this in principle

c. how much money do you expect to raise, etc. ie, target.
Something like $3000 would be fine for starters.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

Last edited by ejasmudar; 2011-09-12 at 13:57.

Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
The two aren't really mutually exclusive, is it? Feel free to provide a link here to the NGO to whom you donated.

Ok, my ACTION PLAN
a. what is the proposal
Provide a bounty for getting certain parts of Maemo (like Calender, Media Player, Browser) rewritten (or ported from Meego) as open source replacements. This should be in such a state so that it can be a part of CSSU.

a. We can either collect the complete funds together and divide it equally (or according to merit) and offer bounties for each individual project. For eg: Complete rewrite of calender, say $500, etc etc

b. Or each donor could specify whether he is donating for a specific project or to the general fund. This way, the projects that intrest most people will get a higher bounty and hence more chance to be solved quickly.

Which devices?

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
I would donate if there was something active going to happen, and not "maybe in the next few years". Having lack of money, I would go to around ~$50.

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Which devices?
only n900. But this work can potentially help others who wish to port to other devices, as there will be less closed components left.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post

Ok, my ACTION PLAN
a. what is the proposal
Provide a bounty for getting certain parts of Maemo (like Calender, Media Player, Browser) rewritten (or ported from Meego) as open source replacements. This should be in such a state so that it can be a part of CSSU.

Thats a good idea, raising funds for each project on its own.
To further expend this idea, we will have to assign each component his own maintainer. This maintainer will have to raise funds, find dev who would go for the bounty, establish a timeline and milestones and report back to the community.
I also suggest one of those 'open' donation pages so we know how much we have on each project.

In order to make this process as transparent as possible,I suggest having an IRC channel for each project and any project-related talk should go through it. Naturally a project tmo page will also have to be.

As a side-topic, I noticed some movement on Kubuntu, I wonder what is their ultimate goal and if we could combine Hildon as a front-end.

The Following User Says Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:

Tags
open-core trap, telethon time