Active Topics

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
So true. N9 is not revolutionary. Perhaps somewhat evolutionary, but will not compete with anything out there. Not revolutionary enough. If it had a batter that lasts 5 days, may be it would have had a better chance
It doesn't matter how revolutionary it is but how you market it. I mean most people consider a device with no bluetooth, no videocall, no multitasking, that needs iTunes for everything as a revolution in the smartphone history or even as the first smartphone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
The way that Nokia is presenting this device, along with the recent comments from Marko Ahtisaari, make it pretty clear that the N9 is being presented as an 'iPhone killer' (that is, when Nokia are bothering to present it to the public at all). I will tell you right now that the N9 has no chance against the iPhone, not because I don't believe it to be a better device, but because Nokia will not be able to persuade Joe Public that it's a better device.

Nokia: "The N9 has a cool and easy to use touch UI."

Joe Public: "So does my iPhone."

Nokia: "But the N9 has an easy to use application store."

Joe Public: "So does my iPhone, and it has more content. Besides, my previous experiences with the Ovi Store suggest that it sucks when compared to the App Store. Why should I expect this to be any different?"
I completely agree with you. I think the only way Nokia can persuade the mass-market to try and get an N9 instead of an iPhone is to make it financially attractive (= low-price).

But I don't think Nokia is aiming for that anymore with MeeGo/N9.
They want to target mobile phone enthusiasts that are willing to experiment and try something new. This group is a lot smaller, but is willing to buy high-priced phones. But you will need to persuade them that the N9 is at least as good as other high-end phones in the stuff they already do on their phones. (And "just as good" doesn't sound as sexy as "is the very best")
I think that is what Nokia is trying to accomplish with the "iPhone killer presentation"

i do agree with regards to the apps, n9<<<<iphone

but if i look around, 50% of most smartphone users DONT require ANY app outside facebook, whatsapp, and email..... yes, I am speaking of women... N9 has enough eye candy and enough basics to impress them....

The Following User Says Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Cassio View Post
... in the meanwhile Nokia conversations is hitting new lows...

OMFG... I absolutely hate that site now...
The folk pooping out it's content, WTF's wrong with them, are they on smack!?
I mean have something like this once in a while, but they do this kind of "airy fairy" stuff constantly.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-16 at 12:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
In the maemo summit 2009 nobody mentioned stuff like QML, and some design images for maemo 6 appeared much more Qt-rewrite-of-maemo5 style OS.
Hence the why not release the N950 end of 2010.

From that summit on there was plenty of time for a nice overhaul of Maemo 5.

An enhanced Maemo 5 meets lovely hardware upgrade with godgiven iPhone like touch screen and especially 1GB of RAM to unleech all the multasking sweetness + of course upgrade path to next iteration of the Maemo Harmattan OS later.

They were really on top of it in 2010 with such a beautiful home made OS.

But no... they were so busy forging world domination plans with intel, then later MS.

So called strategic partnerships with giant inert companies that need a towing vehicle to catch the next mobile ecowave and will dump their mobile project division in a heartbeat, HP style whenever the results don't come quick enough or Gartner give a doubtful report.

Ok nice iPhone from Nokia package we have there. Where to get it?

iPhone is loosing its cool factor quickly over here now that the older generations are running around with it. Yet Nokia is postponing N9 till iPhone5's paper specs make it irrational to choose for the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I completely agree with you. I think the only way Nokia can persuade the mass-market to try and get an N9 instead of an iPhone is to make it financially attractive (= low-price).

But I don't think Nokia is aiming for that anymore with MeeGo/N9.
They want to target mobile phone enthusiasts that are willing to experiment and try something new. This group is a lot smaller, but is willing to buy high-priced phones. But you will need to persuade them that the N9 is at least as good as other high-end phones in the stuff they already do on their phones. (And "just as good" doesn't sound as sexy as "is the very best")
I think that is what Nokia is trying to accomplish with the "iPhone killer presentation"
Keep in mind that THIS is also what the N9 has to contend with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xo3hFEWScA
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
So true. N9 is not revolutionary. Perhaps somewhat evolutionary, but will not compete with anything out there. Not revolutionary enough. If it had a batter that lasts 5 days, may be it would have had a better chance
There are very few devices that introduced "revolutionary" new things. Also it is very difficult to call something "revolutionary" if it hasn't revolutionized anything yet. You may see new and original features, that you think might be revolutionary. But I prefer to think of the first device/software that truly brings it to a mass market as the "revolutionary" one. By that definition I think the first iPhone was because of the touch interface, and I also think the Nokia N95 was because of the GPS integration and HSDPA speeds. Also I consider the Apple app store, Google Androids cloud integration and the Nokia free voice navigation as truly revolutionary.

The multitasking, swipe features, stand-by use of the amoled screen and NFC makes the N9 very unique in my opinion.

Maybe not very original, since the multitasking is very Maemo 5 like, the swipe gestures are a bit WebOS like, and the amoled screen use and NFC are very Symbian like, but the N9 is the first with this combination.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Unfortunately YOUR battery never seems to run out of juice!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eMiL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
There are very few devices that introduced "revolutionary" new things. Also it is very difficult to call something "revolutionary" if it hasn't revolutionized anything yet. You may see new and original features, that you think might be revolutionary. But I prefer to think of the first device/software that truly brings it to a mass market as the "revolutionary" one. By that definition I think the first iPhone was because of the touch interface, and I also think the Nokia N95 was because of the GPS integration and HSDPA speeds. Also I consider the Apple app store, Google Androids cloud integration and the Nokia free voice navigation as truly revolutionary.

The multitasking, swipe features, stand-by use of the amoled screen and NFC makes the N9 very unique in my opinion.

Maybe not very original, since the multitasking is very Maemo 5 like, the swipe gestures are a bit WebOS like, and the amoled screen use and NFC are very Symbian like, but the N9 is the first with this combination.
Actually, Apple's iPhone had already had GPS in it months before the N95 was released at the end of the year, and LG was already doing HSDPA the year before both of those. Again, nothing revolutionary from Nokia on either of those. Free voice navigation had already been there a LONG time before Nokia had it--famously Google Navigation already had it before Nokia did and was part of what forced Nokia's hand to make their free, eventually.

What Nokia DID do that was oddly ahead-of-the-curve was put out the new form factor of Internet Tablets running Linux. But, they didn't leverage that very well and now everybody else has a bigger and better tablet, these days.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Cassio View Post
... in the meanwhile Nokia conversations is hitting new lows...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????