Active Topics

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I did it a few weeks ago, and it cost only 1 Euro. It takes about 5 minutes. All you need to do is enter some personal/contact details, then make the 1 Euro payment using a credit/debit card. The cost is only greater if you wish to publish content (i.e. ringtones etc) rather than applications.
Thanks, some submissions are simply overwhelming and I guess my chances to win such a N9 is very low compared to the other projects, but I ordered now finally my first visa credit card - just in case.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Sorry I'm late-- there was a LOT of catching up to do here.

So at this point is anything still needed of me specifically?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
It seems that nemein will not do the voting process. check the irc-log of the meeting.

we want to set up the voting process on our own server, but the devs are also just humans with regular lifes...

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-09-14 at 07:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Thanks zehjotkah, I hope you enjoy the big Intel event.

I will add some additional details:

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
So at this point is anything still needed of me specifically?
The last Info I got via PM from Bergie was this:

Originally Posted by bergie
Originally Posted by Helmuth
We are stucking at at moment and I'm writing you because I've seen you worked 2008 with the election system.
Please have the Council send a request on this to support [nospam] nemein [dot] com
At IRC a council asked some days before X-Fade if he could prepare the voting: Logfile

But he said he won't do it because he would need a whole workday to set it up. What he haven't known at this moment is that we already prepared the most parts ourselves:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
We already prepared a lot of stuff for the Coding Competition election at our competition thread.
We got the users.csv file with all eMail Adresses, we got a draft for the instructions.txt (needs a review and we have to adapt some parts for each vote - or have to insert placeholder for text blocks if something like this exists) and we prepared all 9 *.sql files. So the most work should be already done. So no need to work a whole day for x-fade on this topic.

The problem is now the access, the needed knowledge and the security concerns. Als already said I'm very scared that it was that easy to get the users.csv without much discussion. I share in this point x-fades opinion. Nobody excepts the paid admins should have access to the servers.

If I understood Bergie correct the Council have now only to send a official request.

X-Fades concerns regarding the number of created EMails is correct. To reduce the load we could start each poll with 12 hours gap between. If I understood the *.SQL files correct we are able to setup this before. So nobody has to do this manually. 9 emails from maemo.org are a lot - but if we explain it in the first line of the instructions.txt I'm sure the users would be fine.

If we are unable to use the maemo.org infrastructure I guess we should try to setup our own server and take the user data we got from talk.maemo.org - personally I would prefer to elect a committee (Plan C) that selects the winners in a open discussion before we run again a catastrophically forum poll (Plan F ...or Z).
So Texrat, this was a fast update for you. We followed this instructions by Dave.

But without knowledge and without access to the server we are unable to proceed. The Admins from nemein won't do it voluntarily.
And because of the experience from 2010 we still wan't to avoid a forum poll.

As far as I know there was still no official council email to the nemein support.

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-09-14 at 09:12. Reason: some corrections made

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by helex View Post
Thanks, some submissions are simply overwhelming and I guess my chances to win such a N9 is very low compared to the other projects, but I ordered now finally my first visa credit card - just in case.
You can also use Visa Electron card to register as Nokia Ovi publisher. The registration is simple and I can assure you that it is real fun to watch how your app is being downloaded from people all over the world.

I have already published to Ovi my app location2sms for MeeGo Harmattan and some Symbian devices and for less than two months there are almost 4K downloads.

So please do not hesitate and share your apps with the mass market

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leon.anavi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leon.anavi View Post
You can also use Visa Electron card to register as Nokia Ovi publisher.
What is a Visa Electron card? I never heard this before. So I'm sure I don't own something like this, too.
But I finally received now my new Visa Card. It is still in his envelope but it's here in my living room. I have now simply to open it...

The registration is simple and I can assure you that it is real fun to watch how your app is being downloaded from people all over the world.
I have already published to Ovi my app location2sms for MeeGo Harmattan and some Symbian devices and for less than two months there are almost 4K downloads.
Thanks, I'm eager to figure this fun out myself as soon as possible. But first I have to fix several qml problems I have with my first application I wan't to publish to ovi. I hope this are only minor changes (I finally managed to publish 2 applications to intel AppUp for MeeGo tablets) but I'm still a qml beginner... As soon as the penny's dropped I will create a Harmattan compatible Icon and publish it at the ovi store!
Sadly the needed time is currently the problem. I hope this will change soon but I can't make promises.
If someone is able to donate me some time I would appreciate it.

So please do not hesitate and share your apps with the mass market
I already planed to publish it to the standard MeeGo repositories. And as far as I know there should be no visible difference for the mass market users.
So I will share it. Don't worry. I simply need some time to fix several bugs before I publish it. I guess there is no big difference if I put it to the ovi store instead of the repositories.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
A Visa Electron card is similar to a Visa Debit card (i.e. you can only access funds that are in your bank account), but quite a lot of retailers don't accept them.

As for submitting to the Ovi Store, I think there are only a few requirements that you need to have in mind:

1. Must have an 'About' screen with application name, version and developer info.

2. Must be 'single-instance' (i.e. you can not allow more than one instance of the application to be launched). This is met automatically with the latest version of the Qt SDK.

3. Settings should be saved when the application is minimized. I don't think this is a strict requirement, but it's easy to do.

You can use Javispedro's icon generator to create the Harmattan icon.

What are the QML problems that you're facing?

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
I have some questions about the OVI store and would like to hear what other people's experieinces of it are - is it possible for someone to create a new thread or point me to a recent one please?

My specific questions are:
a) do developers trust it after the hacking of the Nokia dev site?
b) what's it like putting an free GPL app on there - is it more agrevation than benefit vs Extras repo?
c) What do Nokia / others expect from you in terms of support?

Thanks and apologies for not working out how to do this myself - I'm on train much of today and 3G / N900 combo not great!

Originally Posted by yaln View Post
I have some questions about the OVI store and would like to hear what other people's experieinces of it are - is it possible for someone to create a new thread or point me to a recent one please?

My specific questions are:
a) do developers trust it after the hacking of the Nokia dev site?
b) what's it like putting an free GPL app on there - is it more agrevation than benefit vs Extras repo?
c) What do Nokia / others expect from you in terms of support?

Thanks and apologies for not working out how to do this myself - I'm on train much of today and 3G / N900 combo not great!
a) The hack was affecting the Nokia bulletin board and some other services, but as far as I know, the login for the Ovi Publish site is a different one and is most likely unaffected. But you should always be vary about what information you give away on any online service, regardless of their security history.
b) That is no problem. In fact, my Journey Planner app is still in Extras testing waiting for votes half a year after pushing. Publishing to Ovi took about a week or two. I also have a paid GPL licensed game, Nanoparticles, that has been published fine. You have to adhere to the QA criteria, of course, so I would encourage you to read through the Ovi Store Guidelines first. That way you won't have to upload the app again if anything's missing.
c) I think you need to reply within a week's notice. For my apps, however, there have been at most 2-3 inquiries during the past six months. And for the most part I find it nice to hear from people using my apps. My apps haven't seen that many downloads yet, so the amount of support requests will probably differ if you have extremely popular apps.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post:
Thanks marxian. It is perhaps a little bit off-topic, but I guess it's okay because of the low traffic at this thread.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
What are the QML problems that you're facing?
I already made a QML layout for MeeGo tablet:

The problem at this version:
  • The screen rotation works only in the Qt Simulator - not at the device.
  • As soon as I tap the text field the onscreen keyboard appears and covers the text field - I guess I made somehow a mistake in the way I placed the elements - normally it should autoarrage the layout if I understood it correctly - or had I to query somehow if the keyboard is visible?

The N9 specific problem: Normally I develop on the go using the simulator and test it several hours later at home on a real device. I know, not the usual way to develop but in the most cases it works for me and I'm able to use this time somehow meaningful instead of counting the trees outside the window. But I don't carry my N950 with me at such buisness trips and handling with more than 1 device at a train is in general not very comfortable. So I try to avoid this as often as possible.
Using the Harmattan QML Components would fix the screen rotation problem I have because those are doing it itself but sadly those are not working in the simulator (or I haven't understood how to use them) - so I thought it would be the best to continue to use my Tablet version and modify it for Harmattan and fix the problem I have.

I used this example using java script: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/stable/decla...ientation.html
But I don't like it and perhaps I will try to rewrite the *.js parts using C++ and implement it this way. (I wan't to use only a single variable - "portrait==true" - I would love such a expamle using Qt/C++)

At the moment the screen orientation works so far. But in the portrait mode it looks totally disarranged (I wan't to keep the menu on the right in Landscape mode and on the bottom in the portrait mode to have enought vertical space for the list) - the menu is on the correct place, but the buttons don't rotate at the moment (haven't worked on the transitions so far) and the list keeps the width it had in the moment I started the application. Simply a dirty mess.
And after all this ugly tinkering my settings button stopped working.

The code is currently to ugly to show it anyone and I wan't to clean it, export some modules in seperate files and create a better structure to understand why something happens. So I have in my opinion to work a lot on my QML skills and it is only a matter of time and passion to get this f****ing s*** working.

The passion is present but sadly the lack of time is currently a big problem because I'm currently not traveling at work and several private issues requires currently a lot more time than expected.

But I already made the first step for the ovi store. The VISA card arrived, still in the envelope, but it is here.
But this is currently not that much important... perhaps tomorrow, time for bed now.

Last edited by helex; 2011-09-19 at 22:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:

Tags
coding, community, competition, contest, development, intel, meego, meetmeego, nokia