Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
so i should role back t PR1.3 and put nothing else on the computer with a phone and a camera built in and put nothing else on board and it should work? lol. god id be even further back from todays tablets than ever. the N900 is good no great but it has a lot of pitfalls.ive said this before and ill say it again. my phone has been the same from day 1 before cssu and overclocking and the rest. it just came to ahead when im trying to get general snaps of my friends wedding day, the last thing i expected to happen at that moment was for the n900 to look so stupid againt the iphones and htc's but the fact is it did and yes i was pissed!. so computer or not it has a cam on it so im gonna use it am i not??. like i said ill prob keep it as a play thing but i will move on up todate with some thing eles.
Its questionable now if your device was actually properly functioning from day one prior to overclocking. You do realise the endless amounts of warnings informing users to _not_ overclock their device at any rate regardless if their device is capable of being overclocked or not. Contrary to all that you decided to overclock just because the device is not working to the way you expected it, and then you tried to take happy snaps when you found out you had issues with camera `app' which pissed you right off.

Nobody said you can't take photos or make phone calls just because the device is equipped with it. Ironically nobody is going to think that its the device's fault when you've been tinkering things that normally carries its own labels and warnings. CSSU is not stable and overclocking is generally bad for the device. You ignored all those warnings just to think you're ahead of the game. You went to wedding party without initially testing the device after you have done all the modifications on the device to your satisfaction. You rightly assumed the device will `just work fine' until you found out camera `app' doesn't work. Now tell me, who's fault is it when you are going to explain to an officer for instance that you've ran through a red light with a modified car after knowing full well that there is a chance you'll get fined? `No sir, its not my fault its my car's fault you see... I've done some mods and now the car just doesn't work like its supposed to.'

Last edited by tuxsavvy; 2011-09-19 at 12:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Ipswich, Uk
Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
I'd bet you had a browser running for a long time, probably with loads of windows open, right?

I've seen the lag which you describe, and it is always caused by thrashing (swapping itself senseless). next time you get that kind of lag run "free" in an xterm and you'll see you're likely around 200mb into swap.
The browser is a hog, kill it when you aren't actively using it and your experience will dramatically improve.
Sorry mate.. No I wasnt andI dont use any apps/ internet when the phone is not in use.. its as dorment as any other.

So far the one person on this site that has said some thing I really can I dentify will is Cooldubai... (i restart N900 once before I go for some nice occasion where I need to use N900 as a normal phone) I used to do that too... but for most of the time Id let it run and of course know the thing is so tempremental I should have for seen this coming. But you know what like I said before I have to many maor things in my life to think about and restarting my phone before I snap a quick picture is not one of them... time to bail!!.

Loz.

Audiophile real hi end hifi lover: Revolver Rebel turntable Ortofon CMBPRO stylus, Arcam FMJ MS250 Media server, Krell KRC-2 Analogue pre amp, DENON UDRA-70 sub amp, Harmon Kardon EQ8 eq.
ECS EA1 mono block amps x2, Tannoy M3, Tannoy ST50 super tweeters.
Tannoy 625 Alfie Sub, Revo iblik Wifi reflashed now with DAB. Pure Sound

Dont steal, the govenment hates the compitition.

www.vacrite.co.uk

Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
Its questionable now if your device was actually properly functioning from day one prior to overclocking. You do realise the endless amounts of warnings informing users to _not_ overclock their device at any rate regardless if their device is capable of being overclocked or not. Contrary to all that you decided to overclock just because the device is not working to the way you expected it, and then you tried to take happy snaps when you found out you had issues with camera `app' which pissed you right off.

Nobody said you can't take photos or make phone calls just because the device is equipped with it. Ironically nobody is going to think that its the device's fault when you've been tinkering things that normally carries its own labels and warnings. CSSU is not stable and overclocking is generally bad for the device. You ignored all those warnings just to think you're ahead of the game. You went to wedding party without initially testing the device after you have done all the modifications on the device to your satisfaction. You rightly assumed the device will `just work fine' until you found out camera `app' doesn't work. Now tell me, who's fault is it when you are going to explain to an officer for instance that you've ran through a red light with a modified car after knowing full well that there is a chance you'll get fined? `No sir, its not my fault its my car's fault you see... I've done some mods and now the car just doesn't work like its supposed to.'
Do you know what am I surrounded by idiots or what? Read the thread from the start! I said back in the post this was happening from day one... before the phone was tinkered with as you put it. When the thing was new it came with PR1.2 and nothing worked properly then!. So like in previous post what was I to do send it back to Nokia? I wrote this thread to air my views not to be prodded with a big stick for joining a forum and site that gives me the info to upgrade my N900 and use the camera feature the way I see fit.

Loz.

Audiophile real hi end hifi lover: Revolver Rebel turntable Ortofon CMBPRO stylus, Arcam FMJ MS250 Media server, Krell KRC-2 Analogue pre amp, DENON UDRA-70 sub amp, Harmon Kardon EQ8 eq.

www.vacrite.co.uk

I have had my SGS2 for a couple of week and may N900 has sat in the corner looking sad ever since. The SGS" is light years ahead of the Nokia which from day one was simply let doen by lack of support from Nokia. the community did a great job in getting nearly 2 years service out of the phone for me

It's great now that when the phones rings I don't miss a call as I have hit the wrong button or it's frozen.

Everytning works as it should such as the BBC iplayer etc without having to tweak something to get it working.

Mutli tasking is not as good as the N900 and I miss the FM transmitter but they are small items compared to the overall benefits, people even ask me what phone I am using now!

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
i'm waiting on the galaxy s3

i'm still keeping the N900 for backup though

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Smyrna, Atlanta / Bangalore, India
Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
I don't know how many times do I have to say this, N900 is _not_ a phone. You don't call a computer with a phone handle attached to the side of it and would actually ring when someone is calling you a phone would you?

Many people misunderstood the point of N900 being an internet tablet with phone functionality as being a smartphone. When N900 is marketed as a smartphone people go all crazy and naive without studying its history. Then they expect N900 to function as a smartphone with very high expectations but to only realise their own stupidity that N900 lacks loads of fundamental features that are normally found on a smartphone.

Its ludicruous really, people let marketing get in their way of thinking, then they assume too much in which they get shot down like a moth trying to get to darkside of a light bulb only to find itself being burnt.

I agree with many posts on this thread, you simply have too many things installed which broke your setup. As for assuming that N900 would `just work' like many other android, iOS, etc devices, that is just showing your blatant ignorance. Have you ever seen a rooted android or jailbroken iOS running beta applications where things would actually break to make you pissed off? Have you ever seen where cyanogen mods for android on certain unsupported devices just bricks android? How about installing iphonelinux and realising that you have lots of broken setups here and there? These are all the normal things to expect with any smartphone when you go messing with things that you shouldn't have been messing with. The case gets a little more worse when a person's incompetency of acknowledging N900's shortfalls is married with installing things that were known to have an effect on the device such as power-kernel, such as programs from extras-testing or extras-devel, such as overclocking, etc. Yet ironically people just don't realise it until its too late.

On a final note, N900 is a geek's toy. The history of Nokia Nxxx devices has never been marketed for widespread usage, it was only intended for a very niche market and the same could be said about N900 except for the fact that Nokia got too desperate for the wrong reasons.
absolutely right..and very well said..I have been an n900 user for past 1.5 years and have faced situations where it does not do the basic of things right..like the phone app not coming up during a call..and so on... thats bound to happen with all the messing up i did with it for so long...all the beta apps and tweaks..

and just to understand my n900 better I reflashed it and kept it unmodded for a month and boy what a well behaved phone it was..i installed no apps from testing and devl and did no tweaks whatsoever..

..camera used to fire up instantaneously..no lags during incoming call..15 days of uptime and no lags...

the truth is when used as a normal phone it very well behaves as a normal phone..its only when you do all the messing up does it act up..

But for all it gives me..i am really happy to load it up and live with it... its the best device i have had in my pocket for a long time by a long shot

The Following User Says Thank You to bipinbn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bipinbn View Post
absolutely right..and very well said..I have been an n900 user for past 1.5 years and have faced situations where it does not do the basic of things right..like the phone app not coming up during a call..and so on... thats bound to happen with all the messing up i did with it for so long...all the beta apps and tweaks..

and just to understand my n900 better I reflashed it and kept it unmodded for a month and boy what a well behaved phone it was..i installed no apps from testing and devl and did no tweaks whatsoever..

..camera used to fire up instantaneously..no lags during incoming call..15 days of uptime and no lags...

the truth is when used as a normal phone it very well behaves as a normal phone..its only when you do all the messing up does it act up..

But for all it gives me..i am really happy to load it up and live with it... its the best device i have had in my pocket for a long time by a long shot
See in some respects I agree with your statement apart from when I got the phone new it still messed up.! I only wanted a N900 because I wanted a phone that had the qwerty key board and the fact it was Nokia a brand Ive had since I was in my early 20's well thats what made me go for it. It is a work of art but I can just about manage all the restarts and stuff that I have to do to nurse it, infact again today my Mrs comes in and says didnt you get my email? I said no and checked my phone whitch was connected to wifi but no mail! so I restarted it and 23 emails came through in cludding business ones from 9.15 this morning. THAT ANIT COOL!!. So weather its the tweeks or not im getting to that point of yes its a geek phone and not for those that require consistancey.

Loz.

www.vacrite.co.uk

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
My last response was after following this thread, so my references to lag were actually as much in response to the direction the thread had turned as with irritations I've experienced personally.

After a quick glance back to the OP, I'm reminded that you actually had lockups and such.
I've experienced these as well when using the camera, which is why I configured mine to go back to stock voltage and speed when the camera door opens (see my other thread for details).

The short version is: The DSP cannot handle (even mild) overclocking and undervolting nearly as well as the CPU does.
On my (rev 2204) device, using the DSP (camera or watching videos) is certain to cause crashes or lockups while overclocked even mildly. On the other side of the coin, at stock levels (even with power kernel 47) I have not had one probem with the camera.

Try a FULL reflash to PR1.3 and I'll bet your camera works much more reliably.

I've had similar experiences, but never to the point where I'd have to restart the phone. Usually, if the camera cover doesn't activate the photo program, a depress of the shutter button might work, if not then go into the apps menu... and yes, by that time people lose their smiles :P

Alternatively, bring your Canon/Nikon SLR, put it on a tripod, stand at a distance and remote fire the camera with the n900 to show off Who cares if the camera doesn't work, you can control other cameras! muhahahahahahahahaha *cough* *cough* *cough* *splutter* *dies...*

Fred

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
you dont have a idea what is on my phone/computer!. i work with computers on a daily basis for a living for the past 25 years.

Loz.
You have all that experience and you go to a wedding where photos are obviously critical and you have no idea your camera isn't working well? Amazing.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: