Posts: 95 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Miami & London
Sorry that I did not mention rebooting in the original post, but that was the first thing I tried and it was mentioned later in the discussion...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...0&postcount=10

I truly don't think I overlooked a straightforward solution.

I am now having this problem. Not sure how it came about but that is why I am reading through this list. Wonder what some suit would do with this unit if this problem happened. It's good for us we can find a work-around.

The comment about the p.15 statement in the user manual makes the use of an embedded sd card even more stupid of a choice than just the nature of not being able to rfemove it.

Seems to me after reading a number of related threads that this problem could be rfelated to the use of virtual memory on the internal sd.

See bug 1204 in bugzilla...

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
I had a similar problem: I cannot create a virtual memory on my n810 (which I hope would improve speed in certain operations) and I cannot perform certain operations through the file manager. Files are readable through their applications though. Hope it's not damaged...

Antonio

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ France
The same things has just arrived to my N810 after os update.
I reformat the card and all gones fine.
Thanks for this subject!

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by tikismoke View Post
The same things has just arrived to my N810 after os update.
I reformat the card and all gones fine.
Thanks for this subject!
Nice, I'd like to try the same. Did you reinstall the map files? I am worried that I would just loose them. Or can I re-fetch them?
Thanks,
Antonio

My internal card locked up as well. It wouldn't let me connect to my computer. So, I cleared all the large video files from the internal card and now it works like a charm. A file must have been corrupted at some point. After all, it was nearly full anyhow.

Fixed the problem w/out using xterm, thank god.

I had the same problem yesterday after upgrading the OS a few days ago. Logged onto this website and found all the info you folks provided.

Symptoms:

All files locked on internal card
Unable to disable swap file
Unable to format

Took it home and plugged it into the XP machine - got a G: and H: drive - G: was internal. Must have unmounted the drive on the N810somewhere in the process because I was able to delete the swap file, run chkdsk, and reformat.

Copied all Map files over to the HD before the format, and restored them (most of them anyway, deleted a few language files, EULA, etc.).

Restarted - swap file was already disabled - left it that way.

Maybe they fixed this issue in the new OS upgrade?

Happy Again!

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted by statwrangler View Post
Can anyone confirm that the information on the Maemo wiki for Mac OSX appies to the N810? Or where else should I look for information about udating the N810 OS using Mac OSX?

Thanks

I got flasher-2.0.macosx and did the following to enable root mode

turn off N810
connect it to Mac via USB
In Terminal.app run "flasher-2.0.macosx --enable-root-mode"
Terminal then shows that it is waiting for a device.
Press and hold the Swap button on N810 and turn on the power.
Watch as it starts up and Terminal springs to life enabling root mode.

Unfortunately I've forgotten which exact command I ran to fix the problem Sparkling had. I wasn't able to unmount mmc2 but it happily ran a bun ch of numbers up the screen as it checked the disk then when I restarted running "mount" told me the /dev/mmcblk0 was "rw" and all seems to be good. I've since moved the maemo-mapper repositories to an external card incase that was the cause.

The Following User Says Thank You to IntrepidAnitpodean2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sparkling View Post
cat /proc/swaps reports Used "0" which I take to mean the swapfile is not in use.

I discovered this problem after updating the operating system, but I suspect it may have occurred when I downloaded an additional GPS map, because the filename of the additional map is corrupted while the original maps look fine. In principle I wouldn't mind downloading all the maps again, but the process is slow and if it is flawed I might have no usable maps.

I can still read and copy files from the internal disk, which means I could backup the maps before reformatting. However, I would need to obtain a 2GB Mini SSD because I cannot access the Internal card via USB.
------ My problem sequence and symptoms were precisely the same as above: OS2008 upgrade when ok, but I purchased Wayfinder subscription and tried to download the Western US maps when once installed showed a garbled name (lots of question marks) and then everything when to heck - the IMC became R/O and the map application would flash a startup page and then terminate. I'm quite stuck at the moment but haven't finished reading all the posts here.