Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Sigh... yes... but you're citing Alien Dalvik...
I dunno, haven't had time to look closely at it, maybe check-out that thread, have you bothered yet?
Or do you just want believe it's not going to happen, & so would rather not even look into it?

Seriously Dan, what's with you, you're relentlessly negative, I mean relentlessly, without fail.
Skepticism's cool, I'm all for that, but you really do go beyond that, regularly...
If I find something that's not yet a given, I'm always careful to add a qualifier, isn't that good enough?
Not meant as a personal attack, just don't get colour of your posts sometimes, they're relentlessly cynical.
he is just pissed cause he lives in US and Nokia will not release it fully in US so he cant buy it and I KNOW HE WANT ONE.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
the phones must not be released until we reach 12345 messages in this thread.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Because that is all they talk about in this forum. They used to have a big circle-thank session every day in the meh android thread, and now they have found their segue to turn the n9 thread into yet another android discussion.

That's just my interpretation of what he meant by it, I could be wrong.
And you're part of it now. You're welcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
WRT to AD, pretty sure end-user is feasible, I recall reading as such, can't recall where now.
But as you say even if it is, there's still the potential legal issues... sigh.
cnet interview Myriad about Alien Dalvik on the N9:

So Alien Dalvik is a solution to the N9's app needs, in theory, but it won't be something you can install yourself, if you end up with an N9 in your pocket. Instead, Nokia or your network would have to slap Alien Dalvik on the phone.

"Because it goes really deep into the root of the OS, it cannot be a downloadable application. It would have to be ported prior to the phone being shipped. It would have to be a decision of the mobile phone manufacturer or the network."
Interesting point raised about the networks though I doubt they'll have much say in the matter.

That's a good point, hadn't considered that, might raise that in the thread if you haven't already.
I haven't, as I have no idea if it's even feasible.

But assuming OpenMobile (and Myriad) are taking the stock Android 2.x source, which I'm also assuming is freely available to Joe Public, then applying their own patches and special sauce, then it should be possible to automate the downloading, patching and packaging so that it becomes an end user activity. OpenMobile/Myriad provide a free Windows/Mac/Linux executable that creates the required N9 "package", then the user "loads" the package on to the N9 device via the OpenMobile/Myriad app that has been purchased from the N9 app store.

Surely google would just pay a once-off settlement (or some sort of licensing might be arranged), & not bother w/a total re-write?
It'd be risky on their part, the market's moving so fast, or maybe they've already started, who knows.
That's another option, although I'd hate to see the cost of the fine or licence passed on to end-users of Android source code (which would play into the arms of Microsoft), although if it's a "fair" cost and not something like $15 a throw then it could easily be absorbed by most vendors (including OpenMobile and Myriad).

At the end of the day, Google are not looking to make money directly from Android, they use it to drive searches and advertising revenue their way so it's in their interests to have it on more devices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Alright, if y'all don't immediately start holding hands and singing Kumbaya, I'm gonna start to dish out today's breakfast special...

Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-09-23 at 00:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Reffyyyy View Post
You were probably on their ignore lists long before this thread appeared. The only reason I haven't put you on my ignore list (you'd be the first) is because you occasionally make a valid point and because your discussions are entertaining while in lectures.

Your ability to anger so many people with little effort is unmatched by few on this forum.

Do i care? not with this lot no they are a bunch of babies.

I will be very relieved when this N9 hits the streets.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Alright, if y'all don't immediately start holding hands and singing Kumbaya, I'm gonna start to dish out today's breakfast special...

Your DISGUSTING this morning, what did you have for breakfast

Every cook tastes there food first and NOW we know why you spout shite

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-09-23 at 01:14.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
For our fellow south africans:
http://ringaz.nokia.co.za/mobile-dev...-south-africa/

“This is just the beginning. The details that make the Nokia N9 unique – the industrial design, the all-screen user experience and the expressive Qt framework for developers – will evolve in future Nokia products,” concluded Ahtisaari.

Might as well mean Symbian but still good news.
At the current exchange rate, the N9 is going for $ 716.56 in SA...I dont know if this is the 16GB version.
My Favourite posts!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=539
http://forums.precentral.net/2674180-post149.html
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=500
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63720

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
I would like to have N9. But I still have to hear a man or a woman who slept with this baby for 24 hours and still loved it.

not sure if ppl have put this up yet but...

here is what we are receiving in our emails frm nokia (australia)

http://www.nokia.com.au/newsletterau...y-nokia-201109

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toki For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????