Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
hey, did anything relevant happened since page 600? I you could write me a small summary of the important news I would be immensely grateful!
You might want to check out the AEGIS speculation topic here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=76635

and more technically relevant here (since this is from the developers who got n950):
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4575

EDIT: I forgot about pricing speculations/reports.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-09-23 at 14:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
hey, did anything relevant happened since page 600? I you could write me a small summary of the important news I would be immensely grateful!
Since page 600? Hmm, let's see:
  • abill_uk cannot decide whether the N9 is amazing or if you'd be a fool to buy this terrible device
  • abill_uk "will deal with" gerbick
  • abill_uk thinks jalyst is blind
  • abill_uk thinks jalyst is God
  • danramos is "negative"; several people have commented on this exciting development
  • abill_uk appealed to Reggie to perform some housekeeping by banning anyone who mocks or threatens others
  • Lots of discussion (especially from danramos and gerbick) about Android. Some people care for this discussion, others do not.
  • Occasional speculation about when the N9 might be released (or is it released already? No-one knows the inside scoop except abill_uk)
  • In a move which is probably unrelated to any of the preceding points, many people have discovered the Ignore function

Oh... sorry, I missed the part where you said relevant. In that case:
  • N9 still not released.

Edit: forgot to mention important development whereby jalyst was revealed by abill_uk to be God

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-09-28 at 19:27.

The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
There are NO N9's in any of the outlets yet.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Fair points but I have checked them out (or I had already BEEN checking them out all along--they're hardly new, right?). Here's the thing... it's all been a lot of talk (which I've had to learn, often seems to be the case in the Nokia platforms) but ultimately, there's been nothing delivered. There's always been this PROMISE with Nokia and Maemo and now MeeGo.. but it keeps falling short. The trend is that there's always this great promise (openness, support, etc. and in this case, there's this carrot dangling about compatibility with Android apps) but in the end, you just end up chasing that carrot until you realize there's no point.

I simply would like to know if there's an answer to that question: Is there going to be SOMETHING there, or will this end up being yet another promising feature/application/hope unfulfilled? At the grand cost of appearing cynical, it's not an unfair question. Isn't it? I'm pretty sure even the most ardent of N9 supporters will want to know the answer, even if they're repressing that instinct just to appear optimistic. As I've said elsewhere--I gave up on giving Nokia my optimism and benefit of the doubt ages ago after our ITT and TMO history, poor support and dashed hopes. I will believe things when I see them, as far as Nokia and Maemo/MeeGo are concerned.

Whether you want to label it cynical or not, the question remains: Does anybody have any solid info on when SOMEONE will come out with an Android compatibility layer instead of rumoring or promising that there will be such a feature available sooner or later or never? If there won't be one, what's the point of hashing it out all over again, unless they make clear that there's an operation to release it?
I'm not trying to say "IT'S HERE", just passing on the info. once I get it.
If you're desperate to make sure it's 100% legit & you've some time to kill, look into it closely & let us know.
I don't have the time lately, but would love for someone to ascertain a clear-cut 'yes/no'.
Instead of the long, drawn out, ambiguity we've had from Myriad...
Wouldn't even care if their rough time-frame was 6mth from launch, so long as it was a def. yes.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-23 at 16:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think someone's gonna explode soon.

Waitforit.....
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
N9 is not targeting governments and corporations.
They are targeting people obsessed with having shiny new iPhone that can be paraded in front of family, friends, co-workers...
And these people are to be enticed by low up-front costs (e.g. 'Look, my new iPhone 4 only costs $100'), and the operator's subsidy of the device has to be recovered by usage and apps and content the user buys.

In this case, the user is not (yet) the owner, the operator is.

The IT departments need secure storage for certificates and corresponding private keys. AEGIS combined with NFC (for external contact-less smart cards), might be a very attractive solution for the IT. It would allow them to enable secure mobile services such as S/MIME, secure voice communication, client based TLS authentication, VPN, filesystem encryption...
Exactly. It would be really nice if aegis could for example allow a device to operate in two different modes, possibly protected by different passwords/pins/hardware tokens, so I could have personal content (social networking accounts, personal email account, photos, videos etc.) on my device, and work content (work email account, calendar, credentials e.g. VPN, documents, presentations etc.), and they would be kept separate. So for example if it is my own device, and I change jobs, the company could wipe the company content, but not my personal content.

Instead Nokia considers NFC as mean to perform some trivial things like device pairing.

At the moment it looks like blackberries and androids are the only able to provide such features.
Yes, this is the depressing part. Security *can* be a beneficial feature to the owner (and the user too, e.g. the company may decide to fund better devices, and the users benefit from them) to have a comprehensive security system (including one that prevents the physically present user from certain actions).

However, there must be a means for the device owner to bypass/disable the security (and, ideally, restore it or access to the protected content as well).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think someone's gonna explode soon.

Waitforit.....
Who ? do tell.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Athens Greece
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjaC0oHorEI first Unboxing in greece houhouhou

The Following User Says Thank You to zapotek For This Useful Post:
Well it sure as hell will not be me to explode because i do not particulaly want this N9 but for sure i will know the day before it gets actually shipped out and from where it gets shipped out AND to where it gets shipped too.

But rememeber i am stupid so "god" says.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
There won't be any final info until it is too late. That's the problem.
Nah, I don't reckon. Maybe...
But in all honesty it's still a bit too early to say that.

They can always tighten the security framework in a future update. There are plenty of examples of other corporations doing this.
That's where I think you're being too negative.
Every response they've given so far, suggests this is unlikely to happen.
Of course they can't guarantee that, but it sounds like they'll do their level best.
If we want to believe that senior management has their fingers in every strata of management.
Then we will imagine the worst... But otherwise I'm not sure it'll be an issue.

It's a question of trust. They don't trust me, so why should I trust them?
I can understand your frustration...
Esp. since we were sold (or maybe we assumed too much) something that'd be different to iOS/Android for such a long time.
Alas reality needs to kick-in at some point.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-23 at 15:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????