Active Topics

Poll: Web browsing experience with OS2008
Poll Options
Web browsing experience with OS2008

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
If you have been using OS2007 and OS2008beta, overall, how was your web browsing experience with OS2008beta?

Last edited by akd; 2007-12-16 at 20:57.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Michigan, USA
I currently use a combination of modified host file and adblocker (having temporarily uninstalled greasemonkey to install adblocker, and I can't seem to reinstall the latest greasemonkey).

I also modifed the D-Pad configuration file to page up/down using a click on the up/down cursor. Finally I modified the minimum font sizes within the MicroB configuration.

With all the above modifications I'm very happy with the browsing experience on OS2008 beta. I had used Opera almost exclusively when I ran OS2007, but I now don't miss it too much - especially as complex pages display more like the desktop environment.

Things I'd know how to do are:

1. How to toggle the address/location/toolbar from a D-Pad (left/right) press (Similar to the Ctrl+L from the keyboard). One suggestion would be to call up the address bar when the menu button is pressed.

2. If there is any way to remove the screen scroll bars (like opera on OS2007).

opera is looking better and better

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
No Opera for OS2008 at sight, I'm correct?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by akd View Post
No Opera for OS2008 at sight, I'm correct?
Correct. Opera is not available in OS2008.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Earlier this month I found on my N800 (OS2007: 4.2007.38-2) installation application an upgrade for Microb-browser; now 0.0.8-4 (not sure if version has changed). As a result the MicrOb is even slower (I know: OS 20008...), and does not respond easily to finger scrolling or hyperlink initiating. Too many sites are not displayed correctly, stopping or even unusable, i.e. Reuters (no text warapping with zoom. Opera a runs these sites smoothly, but performs for example slow on You tube. Never the less I normally use Opera, because it fits my needs mostly. This all maybe of course temporary until OS2008 is full-grown.

As I am quite happy with my N800 -I will certainly try the OS 2008. However I am getting somewhat concerned that Opera is not available in OS2008 and that -maybe- I cannot switch back to OS2007 with Opera. Las tweek I issued a FEEDBACK to the Nokia Support Site stressing them to keep OS 2007 available. I think this may be important.

The Following User Says Thank You to AbelMN For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by AbelMN View Post
Las tweek I issued a FEEDBACK to the Nokia Support Site stressing them to keep OS 2007 available. I think this may be important.
OS2007 won't blink into unexistance upon the release of OS2008 final. However, it's not going to receive any bug fixes or updates either. For example, see comment #9 in bug 1822.