Active Topics

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
From what I've heard 34-1 is the final N9 firmware. The N950 "beta2" is 34-2 which is newer than 34-1. In practice it's the same firmware with some applications and plugins stripped away. Why they did that, I have no idea. Perhaps some legal reasons.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
ROTFL android also dead end of 2012
Off topic, but Android honestly is facing some problem and we just might see them peak on not distant future.

WP seems to be gaining from this, but most of all Apple seems to be unstoppable. Who would have thought 3 years ago that single plus 500 euros smartphone could ever have such a hold on smartphones.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Beta2 for N950 came out some time before that though.
Not correct. The 19th was the date on which it first became available.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I think all he means by "on par" is just that, roughly on par.
There's still an internal, more "bleeding-edge" build...
Which we'll see not long after widespread availability of the N9.
It'll probably be pushed to N950 & SDK then too....
'On par' is of course open to interpretation. I take it to mean 'equal to', 'level with' or 'same as'.

It makes sense for both devices to have the same firmware, otherwise how can you test reliably before submitting applications to the Nokia Store. I wouldn't be too happy with Nokia if I submitted an application that worked perfectly on my N950, only to find that it didn't work as expected on the N9.

The Beta2 firmware is pretty stable, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the 'beta' label. If mece is correct, the 'beta' label is simply a result of the removal of a few trivial components.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
Is it worse than Gargale, Fremantle, Harmattan etc. (which are equivalents)?

Most likely the marketing name will be something we know already (Maemo, Meego, S40).

Previous references to Meltemi seem to indicate either S40, or tablet-targetted, but definitely Qt, and supposedly an organisation that can make use of people who were working on Meego.

http://www.meegotabletcentral.com/meego-tablet-updates
http://www.meegoexperts.com/tag/meltemi/
http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/06/2...ia-s40-phones/

(/me can't remember the codename of the Meego-based project that would follow Harmattan ... what was it?).
IIRC the Maemo release after Harmattan was called Ilmatar.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Not correct. The 19th was the date on which it first became available.
I just double-checked, it seems it was the 19th....
Seemed way longer ago than that, then again so much has been happening.

It makes sense for both devices to have the same firmware, otherwise how can you test reliably before submitting applications to the Nokia Store. I wouldn't be too happy with Nokia if I submitted an application that worked perfectly on my N950, only to find that it didn't work as expected on the N9.
I just remember all the hoo-ha about Nokia not releasing builds to N950 devs, that were equivalent to the latest internal, & what issues that may/may-not cause.
And some devs were arguing -rather effectively- that it wasn't necessarily relevant, I can't recall their exact reasons why now.

But I concede once one gets to the point of actually releasing apps to the store, it matters much more...
So I guess they must've finalised their internal build, & begun shipping, just before pushing out that similar build to the N950.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-09-29 at 11:45.

Originally Posted by mece View Post
From what I've heard 34-1 is the final N9 firmware. The N950 "beta2" is 34-2 which is newer than 34-1. In practice it's the same firmware with some applications and plugins stripped away. Why they did that, I have no idea. Perhaps some legal reasons.
Interesting thanks, can you recall where you read this?

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Someone in this thread at Engadget, claims that they've just received theirs in the mail.
Handle: Bo Nichlas Westerby

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
The free app store for Harmattan (apps.formeego.org) is confirmed to continue as planned.
http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?p=32458&postcount=4
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
IIRC the Maemo release after Harmattan was called Ilmatar.
Wasn't Ilmatar the codename for the MeeGo proper successor of Harmattan?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????