Notices

Hi.

I was following some threads about some apps i use and saw some were updated to devel repo. Since i am not sure from what repo (testing or devel) i originally installed them, i was a bit afraid of updating some of them. Some apps i dont mind getting from the devel repo because the devs are trustworthy (with all my respect to the other devs - devs i respect but just dont know so well), but others i prefer to stick with getting them from the testing repo before taking the leap.

Is there a way to list from where all my apps on my N900 were installed from? Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manifesto42 For This Useful Post:
just a quick follow up to hopefully help someone find some sort of solution to this issue:

In my ignorance i have been trying to find some command that lists the original repo from where the application was installed. I can get information about the packages installed using:

apt-cache show [app name]

this lists all sort of information about the package,but nothing related to its origin repository. :-P

Been reading about dpkg also but the results seem similar.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
A package can be found in many repos, but it will always show and install the latest version. For example you can have power kernel v42, 46 and 48, depending what repos you enabled. If you only have extras, it will list v42, in extras-testing you will find v46, however if you have extras-devel, it will list v48. If you disable extras-devel, but have extras and extras-testing, it will list v46, even thou v42 is also present in extras. You can also specifically install a desired version by the apt-get install command, writing the full name and version of the package (like kernel-power=[version]).

zdanee: i understand how the repos work and how i can control what i can install automatically, etc.

What i mean is how i can know, if there is a way, from which repo a particular package was installed.

Imagine this scenario:

- i have AM(application manager) with only the extras and extras-testing repos enabled;
- i have FAM (faster application manager) with extras, extras-testing and extras-devel repos enabled;
- for a certain app, i decide that i will only install versions from testing, so i install version 0.8 from that repo, using AM;
- 2 months later, i see on the forums the dev has version 0.9.1 of that app i like so much, but its in extras-dev;
- since i dont remember if the version i have installed was from testing or dev, it would be nice to know if i can just go ahead and update, or wait for it to go to the testing repo (if ever).

I may be nitpicking a bit too much, but since i am so used to be in control of so much with my N900, i thought i could also find out this information. :-)

Last edited by manifesto42; 2011-10-02 at 18:29.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
In this case you could look up what version AM has. For the repos enabled in AM, you can
Code:
grep [packagename] /var/lib/apt/lists/* | grep "Filename:"

welcome to the deb world
in openSUSE / YaST you can search for a package, click on it (whether installed or not) & click on the version tab & see which version comes from which repository (& which is installed).
or select an older version to either install or downgrade.

o well, some ppl like it complicated >:¬)

zdanee: ah, still wouldnt solve my problem. I already can easily find out which version in on which repo. Like i said, i want to know which repo my installed app was downloaded from. :-) Would be nice to be able to list all installed apps with something in front of each name saying "Repository you got it from: extras/testing/devel"

misterc: hehe, have my n900 since 2009 and its been a wonderful experience in both mobile and linux land. well, but n900 doesnt have those interfaces. :-)

Thank you all for the feedback. Though i still havent found how to do it, i havent given up on it.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
Originally Posted by manifesto42 View Post
Thank you all for the feedback. Though i still havent found how to do it, i havent given up on it.
I did some searching
First on my N900 i went to look for the version of BlessN900
I found 0.49
But by FAM and Remove applications i saw 0.49-4 at Basic info
Went then to the repositories page and then the real search begins...
But that's for you my friend, good luck
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by manifesto42 View Post
Hi.

I was following some threads about some apps i use and saw some were updated to devel repo. Since i am not sure from what repo (testing or devel) i originally installed them, i was a bit afraid of updating some of them. Some apps i dont mind getting from the devel repo because the devs are trustworthy (with all my respect to the other devs - devs i respect but just dont know so well), but others i prefer to stick with getting them from the testing repo before taking the leap.

Is there a way to list from where all my apps on my N900 were installed from? Thanks.
I've written a perl/python script to do this - you can get it from here. It indicates which repository the installed version is currently in rather than where it was originally installed from though (as there's no way to get that info).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Thats very close to what i intended, Rob1n, thank you. :-)

I thought there might be some information about the repo from which the package was installed. From what i could also gather, that information isnt kept anywhere.

I understand your script only lists the present, on what repo we can find the installed version. But since the versions dont vary that much, and if we check with some frequency, it will work just fine.

Again, thank you. :-)