Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I don't think Meltemi immediately relates to 'melt me' nor would it conjure up images of 'melting cpu cores', since neither of those are common concerns of a mobile device nowadays anyhow.

It sounds kind of exotic and may trigger queries to find out more about its origin/context as it has numerous times in the threads here.

Certainly better than MeeGo or Tizen names....

Let's just hope Meltemi doesn't evolve and gets rebranded as Poo OS by Nokia's marketing geniuses.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I don't think Meltemi immediately relates to 'melt me' nor would it conjure up images of 'melting cpu cores', since neither of those are common concerns of a mobile device nowadays anyhow.

It sounds kind of exotic and may trigger queries to find out more about its origin/context as it has numerous times in the threads here.

Let's just hope Meltemi doesn't evolve and gets rebranded as Poo OS by Nokia's marketing geniuses.

Dilmom: Why don't you call your product the Gruntmaster 6000?
Dilbert
: What kind of product do you see when you imagine a Gruntmaster 6000?
Dilmom
: Well it's a stripped-down version of the Gruntmaster 9000 of course. But it's software-upgradeable.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
But that's all part of planned obsolescence. It's what makes the world goes 'round these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5DCwN28y8o
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

True, but you set the bar so low that the comparison hardly matters.

You shouldn't write stuff like this.

I can hear 'Oohh's coming from the former T-shirt designers in Nokia's London office. Perfect self-irony in a hipster kind of way. They'll start working on it once their book "Nokia leader in social marketing 2.0: How to ruin value effortlessly" is finished

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
How many emploies do nokia have and what are they all doing when Microsoft build the OS? Services and meltemi?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
How many emploies do nokia have and what are they all doing when Microsoft build the OS? Services and meltemi?
Q: How many Microsoft software engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None.. that's a Nokia hardware problem. :P

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
You shouldn't write stuff like this.

I can hear 'Oohh's coming from the former T-shirt designers in Nokia's London office. Perfect self-irony in a hipster kind of way. They'll start working on it once their book "Nokia leader in social marketing 2.0: How to ruin value effortlessly" is finished
It wouldn't be too far fetched to imagine them thinking that it would be cute to name their new OS, Espoo... and then revel in how clever they are at naming it after Nokia's home city--despite how it sounds to everyone outside of Finland. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-10-03 at 10:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You've clearly never read or watched Dilbert and therefore have no idea just how critical a project name really is for the customer to be impressed and interested.
Dogbert: As you probably know, all the good product names have been trademarked by companies who are competent.
Wally: Competent? How are we going to compete with that?
That's all fine and nice and I know these references and can give you much better relevant one -- http://youtu.be/w9evWShXtDY?t=4m51s where the ship is called "Pobeda" ("Victory") and becomes "beda" ("disaster").

Yet, you clearly miss the point of internal names and what is known publicly. (And no, a leak is not a public advertisement, much less a marketed product name).

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Next Nokia OS will be named after me

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Next Nokia OS will be named after me
Pissed OS? Or P.O.S for short.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Whenever I see the name I keep hearing the shrieks of the Wicked Witch of the West in Wizard of Oz -- "I'm melting!"

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/Movi...witchmelt.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
deb & mitm, deb obsoleted, deb rox, dumbphones, linux, linuxmelting, meltemi, rpm sux