Active Topics

Originally Posted by bbin View Post
Please stop this bs. HSPA+ is certainly not 4G. It is 3G technology. Even LTE is actually more of a 3G tech.

Here is a quote for you from Wikipedia:

And yes so you can theoretically get around 8 Mbit/s but that kind of speeds really are uncommon even here in Espoo with good HSPA+ coverage.

Useless network upgrade if you ask me.
That I know, nothing is 4G at the moment but the ITU changed their definition to include HSPA+ after WiMax was wrongly pushed as 4G by sprint and LTE by Verizon.
What is the wikipedia quote for?
For crying out loud. I'm not saying that you will get anywhere near theoretical or that it is common to get high speeds but comparing HSPA+ and HSPA in an area where HSPA+ is available HSPA+ is faster than HSPA in real world tests, lower latency, it saves battery, and offers a far more persistent connection. It certainly is not useless. It may not meet the old ITU definition of 4G but it certainly is not useless.

http://www.tested.com/news/tested-t-...ional-3g/1190/

None of the phones reach their max theoretical speed but you are kidding yourself if you deny that HSPA+ did not offer better speeds.

Last edited by Cue; 2011-10-05 at 18:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
a dropbox client for N9 would be good...i use that frequently on my ipad.

So you have an iphone4 as well. Do you really think the N9 is a better phone than the iphone? i mean, aside from apps...do you think N9 will be as simple as the iphone? and lets ignore the fact that iOS is closed and Meego is open.

lastly, the one thing i like about my android is my gmail client syncs my calendar on my gmail as well so i know exactly what i need to do, schedule wise. Do you think the N9 will be able to do that? Sync Calendar as well?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I know that all our Android devices over here at our house (Droid, Galaxy Tab, Nook Color) got upgraded recently to Adobe Flash 11.0.1.152. What is the latest version that the N900 CSSU received? What version does the N9 come with--or do you need to get it seperately? MeeGo? What version will be made available on Tizzon?
Also BB and even iOS is getting it this time... sigh...
Maemo has a track record with flash, so hopefully they're just finalising licensing.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
There are some html mockups available now for the free appstore:
http://meego.devcenter.hu/

Starting to shape up pretty good.
It sure as hell is! Very nice.

Originally Posted by asianmoomoo View Post
a dropbox client for N9 would be good...i use that frequently on my ipad.

So you have an iphone4 as well. Do you really think the N9 is a better phone than the iphone? i mean, aside from apps...do you think N9 will be as simple as the iphone? and lets ignore the fact that iOS is closed and Meego is open.

lastly, the one thing i like about my android is my gmail client syncs my calendar on my gmail as well so i know exactly what i need to do, schedule wise. Do you think the N9 will be able to do that? Sync Calendar as well?
Yeah I enjoy dropbox more on my ipad because of the screen size but if someone is able to make one on the N9 i wouldn't be opposed to it.

Well i had an iPhone 4 prior to even owning an n8 and I thoroughly enjoyed the N8 for its hardware. It really didn't grow on me though until beta Belle released in which case the speed vastly improved and I had no random reboots or glitches. When my 4 was stolen and I bought an N8 I didn't miss the iphone at all. I'm only back into it because someone on tmobile wanted an N8 really badly and couldn't deal with the lack of 3g from the iphone so I ended up trading. But same thing with the N8, I used it mainly for its built in functionality and relied less on apps. Didn't really miss the apps (which I had my ipad for if I really needed them anyway).

I think 4 vs n9 really comes down to personal preference. I use more apps on my ipad than I do on my iphone and I still don't think I'm heavily invested in the iOS infrastructure like others are. I think the N9 has better functionality out of the box and I just can't get over how good Maemo/Meego multitasking is. I can see how heavy apps users wouldn't be able to leave their iphones and it makes sense, but putting that aside I think the N9 shines hardware-wise. iOS5 definitely brings some small improvements to the basic functions of the iphone and I think that's far more important than having to open up an app for it. Is it enough? I don't think so. I think if Apple released an iphone 5 that was a bigger device (even 3.8" screen) and maybe even with 4G there would be a far different reaction to it. The 4S may still be a better comparison for the N9 than just the 4 since it's more relevant.

Yeah I use google sync (contacts and calendar) on iOS through mail for exchange. Mail for exchange with google worked on the n900 and I'm sure it will work on the N9. So if it can work on iOS, I doubt we'll have issues on the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWindEXE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
@cue, @bbin and @everyone else banging on about HSPA+
you both miss the point. the comparison is subjective. so what he marked the N9 as better, you can argue that it doesn't have HSPA+ or that it has pentaband etc. but the real difference is how good the antenna is. if your signals crap you can't do **** with it anyway. because of the materials used the n9 has a better signal then all/most phones available, this has been mentioned here on this tread with quotes from testers etc. now lets end the argument now or make a new thread and argue there. you'd swear it was important someone's view was updated to your own.

Personally it's not that easy to break down which is the better phone. it's about the user requirements and the phones ability to meet them.

no offence meant but ya need to take it to another thread or just stop.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Has anybody seen reviews of the final Nokia N9 device?
I don't mean user reviews, but pro-style reviews from tech sites.
I haven't yet, so I was just wondering if Nokia even send out review devices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
@cue, @bbin and @everyone else banging on about HSPA+
you both miss the point. the comparison is subjective. so what he marked the N9 as better, you can argue that it doesn't have HSPA+ or that it has pentaband etc. but the real difference is how good the antenna is. if your signals crap you can't do **** with it anyway. because of the materials used the n9 has a better signal then all/most phones available, this has been mentioned here on this tread with quotes from testers etc. now lets end the argument now or make a new thread and argue there. you'd swear it was important someone's view was updated to your own.

Personally it's not that easy to break down which is the better phone. it's about the user requirements and the phones ability to meet them.

no offence meant but ya need to take it to another thread or just stop.
Well, I was the first to say that particular cellular spec comparison is pointless but instead I was met with information about how pentaband was important and complete disinformation about the benefits of HSPA+. All I've been doing is trying to debunk that disinformation.

I'd actually like to see that comparison of signal strength, where can I find it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
A question for those with N9s:

QR codes - does it read them all by itself, or is there an application for it? I use mBarcode on my N900 and it does the job, but I was wondering about N9 functionality.

WP7 Mango Bing does a good job - clean and fast (don't hate me, I bought an HTC HD7 because I need to make my own mind up about WP7 and it picked up Mango on the 2nd day).

Still waiting for my N9.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
BTW, can someone please tell me if there is a way to get Korean input working on the N9? Without this, it cannot serve as my main daily phone. (which was the case with N900 as well until sometime later with the appearance of mscim)
Didn't qgil confirm all the language pack are included, which would include languages for input.
It was in a meego thread, someone was designing a Mandarin input app...

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????