Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Debian became problematic with my sound card. I wiped the drive again and installled openSUSE 11.4 clean and alone. It went in with no problem and I found the source of the problem with it = Me. After the basic install it gives a message that I needed to eject the DVD and reboot. It rebooted on its own without the DVD being removed and it entered a secondary install which required the DVD. That was why I had a problem on my first two install attempts. It's in now and working just fine.
Added Ubuntu 10.10 in dual boot and no problems.

I'm going to try Kororaa 14, PC-BSD and Gentoo 2011 later this week.

I wish there was a way to copy the entire contents of a partition so I could easily re-install it as a whole rather than having to install from scratch.
"dd" in linux might be able to help you do just that but it has a nickname of "data destroyer" for a reason, be careful with it.

Thanks Cue. I'd click "Thanks" but I'm no longer given that option here (guess I used it one to may times).

PC-BSD does not seem to view (or display) partitions in the same way that the debian based systems do. I set a new partition "SDA5" using Ubuntu 10.10 to prepare for PC-BSD install. Started the bsd install and was shown 4 partitions (one being swap) and #1 was the only one with the size I had made the brand new SDA5 (although in the begining all of the partitions were 20480MB). Because that one showed the full size I assume it is the brand new SDA5 I had created minutes before. Hope I'm correct.
The learning curve for multiboot Linux systems is much steeper than for Windows (eg Win7 pro 64 with Vista Ult 64 and XP Pro 32 all on one drive goes in like butter and offers all 3 options at start up with no problem). I read up on BASH for GRUB before trying to add this third OS and can only hope it boots with openSUSE, Ubuntu and PC-BSD with all showing as options at start up so that I don't have to edit GRUB. I'm not sure under which partition the GRUB file I'd need to edit would be at this point (the lastest OS partition or the first OS partition which is closest to the drive spindle where you'd expect and MBR to be). I think editing all I can find (if more than 1 exists) would ensure the result I'm looking for:
On start up openSUSE 11.4, Ubuntu 10.10 and PC-BSD 2011 all available.

Last edited by monkeyman; 2011-09-18 at 16:44. Reason: changed 20240MB to 20480MB

Thanks Cue. I'd click "Thanks" but I'm no longer given that option here (guess I used it one to may times).

PC-BSD does not seem to view (or display) partitions in the same way that the debian based systems do. I set a new partition "SDA5" using Ubuntu 10.10 to prepare for PC-BSD install. Started the bsd install and was shown 4 partitions (one being swap) and #1 was the only one with the size I had made the brand new SDA5 (although in the begining all of the partitions were 20240MB). Because that one showed the full size I assume it is the brand new SDA5 I had created minutes before. Hope I'm correct.
The learning curve for multiboot Linux systems is much steeper than for Windows (eg Win7 pro 64 with Vista Ult 64 and XP Pro 32 all on one drive goes in like butter and offers all 3 options at start up with no problem). I read up on BASH for GRUB before trying to add this third OS and can only hope it boots with openSUSE, Ubuntu and PC-BSD with all showing as options at start up so that I don't have to edit GRUB. I'm not sure under which partition the GRUB file I'd need to edit would be at this point (the lastest OS partition or the first OS partition which is closest to the drive spindle where you'd expect and MBR to be). I think editing all I can find (if more than 1 exists) would ensure the result I'm looking for:
On start up openSUSE 11.4, Ubuntu 10.10 and PC-BSD 2011 all available.
It's because the thread has been moved to off-topic, there is no Thanks button in off-topic and posts don't count to your total post count.
Your courtesy is very much appreciated nonetheless, glad I could help.

The last distro you install usually takes over the MBR unless you tell it otherwise. That means the last distro you install should have the IPL that you want to use (in this case I'm guessing you want GRUB2 stage 1 in your MBR). If it's not the last distro you install, you can always use "grub-install" from any distro. This will be the distro where your config file is and the second stage of GRUB.

From there you can chainload other distros which have their own boot sector.

http://www.brunolinux.com/05-Configu...boot_grub.html

Kororaa gave me error after error all related to KDE (as soon as it booted the errors would start and it would not load or look for updates). A shame because it's very nice to look at.
PC-BSD went in but never booted (stuck on "run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 300 seconds for xpt_config"). Tried it with both of its bootloader options and with GRUB in dual boot with Ubuntu. Never worked. It's a shame because it is supposed to be the easiest to install and use of all the distros.
I made it to the very last step of installing Gentoo and it could not find Python 4.7 in the mirror or tar.bz2. Almost get it in and working and dead at the very last step. There's 3 hours I'll never get back....
Mandriva would not update and finding your way around the GUI is rough (KDE seems to be better elsewhere) and it really slowed my system down.

So back to Ubuntu 10.10, openSUSE 11.4 and Fedora 15 in tri-boot.
I really would like to try Gentoo and even more so PC-BSD. Going to have to figure out how to repair the missing Python 4.7 in the Gentoo install and whatever it is which is wrong with PC-BSD.
Really wish PC-BSD had gone in...

Kororaa gave me error after error all related to KDE (as soon as it booted the errors would start and it would not load or look for updates). A shame because it's very nice to look at.
PC-BSD went in but never booted (stuck on "run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 300 seconds for xpt_config"). Tried it with both of its bootloader options and with GRUB in dual boot with Ubuntu. Never worked. It's a shame because it is supposed to be the easiest to install and use of all the distros.
I made it to the very last step of installing Gentoo and it could not find Python 4.7 in the mirror or tar.bz2. Almost get it in and working and dead at the very last step. There's 3 hours I'll never get back....
Mandriva would not update and finding your way around the GUI is rough (KDE seems to be better elsewhere) and it really slowed my system down.

So back to Ubuntu 10.10, openSUSE 11.4 and Fedora 15 in tri-boot.
I really would like to try Gentoo and even more so PC-BSD. Going to have to figure out how to repair the missing Python 4.7 in the Gentoo install and whatever it is which is wrong with PC-BSD.
Really wish PC-BSD had gone in...
It's unfortunate that you had problems with all three, can I ask what Motherboard you have?

The problem with Gentoo may have been the result of my choosing a tarball "Release" (install file) and a tarball mirror (Kernel build step) of different age without realizing it. I may have chosen a Kernel which required Python 4.7 but the install file only contained 4.6. Gentoo didn't show any hardware issues (yet).
As for Kororaa it had a good eth driver (I could use Firefox) but for everything it needed to do with a mirror/Kororaa server (for updates, etc) could not connect or "find" the server (it may be that Kororaa is dead and the update servers are gone).
PC-BSD is a concern and my motherboard shows one of two ways, either HP or as Quanta 3610 Motherboard (so a Quanta with HP branding). I googled for others having the same problem and the owners of a few Asus notebook models were as well. Who knows if Asus uses Quanta MB's but it would be doubtful as asus is the maker of some of the best MB's out there.

So to your question - My motherboard is an HP branded Quanta 3610.
My BIOS is an Insyde (also HP branded).

Found the sources of the issues with PC-BSD. My firewire port and controller, my WiFi card and my processor all have no drivers in freeBSD. Cannot use PC-BSD. That's a big let down because it looks like a great OS (and I know far more Unix than Linux so control would be easier).
Kororaa was problematic because I was using an older version (14) with an older Linux Kernel which lacked full support for my hardware and the update service was being altered by the lead to work with YUM (porting Ubuntu's Jockey to YUM and the connection with the udate servers). Kororaa 15 may work for me once he's done.
Gentoo may still come through but I'm not all that agreeable to the idea of spending 4 hours only to find an error (likely one made by me) has resulted in my needing to start from scratch (another 4 hours) when that error could put my other installs at risk (Fedora 15 KDE 64-bit, openSUSE 11.4 KDE & Gnome 64-bit and Ubuntu 10.10 Gnome/KDE 64-bit).

Is there any way to change a bootable partition from Primary without losing all of the data on that partition? I have Mageia 1 64-bit (with all desktop options), Fedora 15 (with all desktop options) and Pinguy 11.04 64-bit (only Pinguy's base desktop) with a swap drive large enough to handle the full 8GB or RAM for all three. Problem is I set all four of these as Primary partitions and cannot partition and format the remander of the HD for NTFS file storage (music, photos, movies, docs). I need that NTFS partition to access the data it will contain with all three distros.
How do I convert a primary partition without killing the data it contains?

Thanks,
David

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ West Hills California
No simple way. You need to back up the data on the partition, delete it, create a new partition with the desired filesystem type. When you change the partition type designator, the operating system expects to see the correct filesystem. So without reformatting the partition to NTFS, (by deleting and creating a new partition) there is no simple way to change a partition type.

Buy another hard disk.

Just wanted to say Thanks to monkeyman for starting this thread and to the many others who've chipped in useful information. For many N900 users, Maemo5 was/is the first taste of a Unix/Linux OS (Macs not included). My (quite old now) hareware is ailing under the weight of years of windos updates so I think it's time to take the Linux plunge for real. Hearing the trials and tribulations of all these distros has been fascinating and invaluable. Alas, no Thanks button for Off Topic threads!

I don't store that much video content on my computer so is 150Gb sufficient for most purposes? It can't be necessary to install all 8 DVDs of Debian 6, for example? Isn't it just like maemo where, once the core OS is installed, one can install what's desired via a package manager?