Active Topics

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I'd take a screen shot to show you what apps are running in android system info but there is no native way to do that as far as I know. I have to get an app for that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Again they had promised support long as Symbian (means 2015). Why should we not trust that if you trust that Symbian will be supported!? Again N900 IS NOT N9! Way different device. Actually it some of the reasons N900 are pissed on N9 cause its to much not N900.

They also give alot of hints how too port apps from IOS and Android to Qt on the devsite. But I guess people here is too lazy read that and instead sitting on TMO and whining. I dont point you in this case but there is several people here repeating same over and over again. (And then I come and repeating myself.....

But more info will come in end of october. I would not be chocked if they actually is porting QtQuick to WPx. (not fully Qt but QtDeclarative(QML))
Well I'm not a developper, and I have always been grateful for the assistance I have received here for my N900. I suspect that I am a little bit more geeky and tech aware than the average smart phone user (but not developpers). What appears to have happened here (TMO) since last year is that enthusiasm has been replaced by cynicism (myself included).

I know this attitude doesn't help but the concensus seems to be that if you can't beat them, join them. That is, be open minded, consider other options.

For example, I would not suggest an N900 to most of my less clued up friends, for them the bright and beautiful is more important than remoting a PC via VNC. I find smb mapped networked shares useful whereas they think itunes is a miracle.

Horses for causes, the right tool for the job etc, but a hacker friendly "it's not a phone it's a computer" doesn't appeal to the masses. It's been mentioned, perhaps different marketting, more fart apps etc could have changed that.

It's frustrating but I'm guessing that all the apps I could ever need exist on Android, as does the browser capability. The N9 has issues, and yes it's too soon to say if they'll get fixed. Can I live without some of these? Probably, but life is too short.

I don't have a view on windows phone on nokia, I haven't seen one yet. I'll have to let others review it first and then make a decision, likewise the new Nexus Prime or iphone 5 if (when) it ever comes out.

For those using and reporting back about the N9 - thank you.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
there is a lot of unnecessary heat being generated. Questioning Nokia does not make us ’unpatriotic`.its a fricking corporation. Most people have been here with Nokia for well over a decade so no need to remind us how loyal anyone is. As for the N9, if we did not like it or we would not be around.

I've said it before but as soon as I have an n9 (big if) I am leaving Nokia like a bad habit. TMO is a different entity that I will visit and support indefinitely. It is very wise to look elsewhere when you cant get what you need in one place.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
It is very wise to look elsewhere when you cant get what you need in one place.
Couldn't put it better myself.
Has this thread drift totally away from n9 availability now?
Anyone has a link to some reviews so far? we need like a compilation of video reviews thread or something

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
Has this thread drift totally away from n9 availability now?
Yes. This is now the 'I can't get an effing N9, so help me choose something else' thread.

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
The posts of this thread is [click]

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
i understand the points you and Jaylst are making, and i do recognise them, but, i just don't accept that nokia is right to be charging absolute top-flight prices for something that has mid-range specs these days.

yes, i will buy one because i am stupid enough not to care, but i think it will unduly hurt the revenue potential as they will lose more from deterred customers than they will gain from higher margins.

and if they really do have to charge £500 for an N9 to achieve a sensible margin of profitability then they are doing something very wrong!

while UK prices are not yet known the 16GB version seems to be sitting around the £500 mark, with mobilefun.co.uk sticking a £520 price tag on it.

a htc sensation from the same people currently lists at £400:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/sim-free-...ion-p29011.htm

a htc titan from mobilefun lists at £480:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/sim-free-...tan-p31765.htm

if the 16GB model actually ends up with a price tag around £400 then that will be sensible, however, if it really does end up north of £500 then nokia really did need to ditch meego/harmattan because it would appear quite obvious that they cannot produce high-end smartphones at a competitive price using that platform!

that fact that you and I will buy it regardless of the price is not the point, the point is that something is deeply deeply wrong if nokia has to charge over the odds for hardware that is underwhelming.
The pricing of the N9 is often debated here, and I take the opportunity of this post to disagree about the general ranting about the price (nothing personal against you, Jedibeeftrix )...

To my opinion, the N9 is not ridiculously overpriced when we consider all of the hardware. I mean, including the industrial design.

I don't care to have a graphics chip that is a few months old, a processor that has a mere single core and runs at only 1GHz, as long as this combination still allows the SW to run smoothly, also when multitasking heavily. And in ths department, I think that we have a winner here.

But I do care that I will have a gorgeous piece of hardware that will not fall in pieces or look ugly after 6 months.

The polycarbonate unibody construction surrounding tightly the curved gorilla glass, that is the playground of an intuitive user interface, are for me solid arguments to buy the phone. Nearly as much as the choice of the operating system running underneath the surface. I'm even glad not to have a removable battery and no SD card slot, as this allows even less dust to enter the phone and reduces the risk of mechanical failure...

I'm not a Nokia devotee* (my first and only Nokia until now was the N900), but I just have a profound respect and admiration of what Marko Ahtisaari and his team are achieving.

I'm looking forward to see what's next...

edit: (*) no, I'm not a fan of the brand with a fruit either, and I don't trust green robots that much...

Last edited by 0x4e84; 2011-10-09 at 23:22.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 0x4e84 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver,Canada / Dubai,UAE
Just bought a Black Nokia n9 64gb from UAE for a price of $750 canadian , I have to ship it to Vancouver now !

It comes with two year warranty inside UAE ( external and internal )

I have asked for a group buy so I could hook up the TMO members ...

Let's see how it goes ...

Im excited

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SR90 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Originally Posted by SR90 View Post
Just bought a Black Nokia n9 64gb from UAE for a price of $750 canadian , I have to ship it to Vancouver now !

It comes with two year warranty inside UAE ( external and internal )

I have asked for a group buy so I could hook up the TMO members ...

Let's see how it goes ...

Im excited
Care to explain where you bought this ?

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????