Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
what continuity? "reference UI" doesn't ring any bells to you?
What N9 use is not a reference UI, I think.

You can have widgets on Harmattan, you will just have to install third party application for it, when someone makes it.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
wow **** widgets. try using the ui before judging it.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I agree that the UI on the N9 is inferior to Symbian or the N900; not having live widgets is a massive drawback and makes it feel "S40"ish.

Still, we knew it all along, I bought it even though I knew it, I still use the C7 as my main phone and enjoy having a new toy that understands shell scripts. So what?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
The N9 is quite a different experience as it has no "desktop", but the "views" -system where you see certain content in certain views. Perhaps the most dominant one is the apps-list, which received some criticism earlier in this thread. I also feel this is a move towards a style that I thought was deemed obsolete by Marko Ahtisaari, but they decided to go that way with MeeGo and now with the choice of Windows Phone 7.

The experience on the N9 is very good, and the "3 views" style UI technically works brilliantly. However, I feel that this is a move towards a dumb-phone like feel, which is reinforced in the stock apps of the device: Facebook and Twitter apps open a drastically simplified app of what we're used to and all the pages in the browser open up as mobile websites (if someone knows how to tweak this, let me know!). So the experience is very iPhone-like indeed, in the sense that you feel you're thrown back to 2009. But using the N9 is also an aesthetically pleasant experience, where the feel, sound and graphics add to a very pristine and classy experience.

The N9 exceeds in everything it sets out to accomplish and even beats some of the competition in their own game, so you can't really say its a bad device. But if you are looking for something along the lines of the N900, the N9 isn't the device for you. If you decide to go for the N9 anyway, many familiar Maemo apps are available in the Nokia Store, such as: Filebox, Twimgo and gPodder.

Personally I'm going to my operator, getting a normal SIM and putting it back to the N900 again.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
The N9 is quite a different experience as it has no "desktop", but the "views" -system where you see certain content in certain views. Perhaps the most dominant one is the apps-list, which received some criticism earlier in this thread. I also feel this is a move towards a style that I thought was deemed obsolete by Marko Ahtisaari, but they decided to go that way with MeeGo and now with the choice of Windows Phone 7.

The experience on the N9 is very good, and the "3 views" style UI technically works brilliantly. However, I feel that this is a move towards a dumb-phone like feel, which is reinforced in the stock apps of the device: Facebook and Twitter apps open a drastically simplified app of what we're used to and all the pages in the browser open up as mobile websites (if someone knows how to tweak this, let me know!). So the experience is very iPhone-like indeed, in the sense that you feel you're thrown back to 2009. But using the N9 is also an aesthetically pleasant experience, where the feel, sound and graphics add to a very pristine and classy experience.

The N9 exceeds in everything it sets out to accomplish and even beats some of the competition in their own game, so you can't really say its a bad device. But if you are looking for something along the lines of the N900, the N9 isn't the device for you. If you decide to go for the N9 anyway, many familiar Maemo apps are available in the Nokia Store, such as: Filebox, Twimgo and gPodder.

Personally I'm going to my operator, getting a normal SIM and putting it back to the N900 again.
Thanks for the reply.

You are right, there is no desktop on N9.

I think maybe I will be just like you : Using N9 for a while and cannot get used to it, then switch back to N900 again.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
i dont really miss widgets, i only use 1 screen on n900.

i only miss hw kb

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Maybe easier to get an microsim adapter (2€) and use the same sim, then when you eventually change to a new device, it's likely to have a microsim anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arpa For This Useful Post: