Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Madrid
Hi everybody =) I searched and found nothing about this... so here I go. There is a weird problem with SMS in the n900. I'm spanish, and Spain uses a lot of accents. Well, when I type for example "Camion"
the character counter decreases until 154...but if write it correct: "Camión" the character counter decreases to 64...

How can I solve this issue? :S Thanks a lot!

It's normal. As I understand it, Operators limit Your max character number, when encoding supporting accented characters (basically, all special ones) is used - so, You pay more, when You use special characters (because SMS is send as many small messages, merged into one upon receiving). I don't know if it is still true for all operators, but - at least - it was not so long ago.

The workaround is to check how much your operator tax You for using MMS - most of the times, 1 SMS = 1MMS (up to 100 kb), so it's sane to use *only* MMS, even for text-only messages. Also, keep in mind, that 100kb is a LOT, and You would probably got problems with writing so long message, that could hit this limit.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Interesting. I just tried this in conversations and could confirm it. However I normally write texts using web2sms and the service BiteSMS (cheaper and flat rate to worldwide numbers). Using the web2sms interface I noticed that from cami to camión I went from 156 to 154 chars. Haven't checked that sending a 157 character message full of accents will actually only use one sms credit though.

The Following User Says Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bavaria, Germany
Well, unicode sms support 70 characters. "camió" are 5 characters. So you should have 65 left. The conversations application seems to use unicode when you start using accents.

Web2SMS instead is unable to send unicode messages. You should not be able to write chinese or russian characters there. Accents are supported by the normal gsm charset but they need two bytes instead of one for a normal character.

The Following User Says Thank You to gri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Liege, Belgium
I have the same problem, but not with accents ´ ` but with characters like ô ç â , when I use it to write in french and I take the write assistant option. I had Nokia from years ago (N80, N82, even asha 303 recently) and the're an option to change which type of characters to use, if "complete" or "reduced" or some thing like that, and choosing "reduced" fixed it the problem, but in N900 I didn't find this option (if exist)

The Following User Says Thank You to desaparecido For This Useful Post: