Active Topics

Before you take time to insult/flame me, i did search, browse, read and talked to people in the real world(tm) before asking here. :-)

i am a proud owner of a N900 and very interested in acquiring an N9, but with its hefty price tag i cant have both. So the question is this: Would it be worth selling my N900 and get an N9?

I know they have their differences, advantages and disadvantages, but from a more human point of view, on your personal opinion, selling the N900 for a N9 is an improvement or i would be lacking the N900's special skills? :-) I cant be without my N900 if the N9 is lacking in things the N900 has.

On my part, i do:

- SSH
- terminal
- wifi
- internet
- social networks
- photos (with sharing, editing, etc)
- dropboxing
- lots of sharing, interconnecting with services
- tinker the N900 to kingdom come and all the way back
- programming - i am a developer

Would i be at home with the N9 on all these things?

They are now selling it on my country(portugal) for 650 euros(16gb) and 730 euros(!)(64gb)

Feel free to digress. :-)

Last edited by manifesto42; 2011-10-20 at 16:10.

No. It is very impressive device in many ways, but currently it is not suitable for:

- SSH. It works alright but no hw-keyboard and small terminal screen estate make it less favorable compared to N900.

- No copypaste of any kind or selectable text in terminal

- Wifi seems ok, but not all enterprise Wifi solutions (Eduroam for instance)

- Internet is good, fast and smooth even if the browser lacks features (text selection only in text fields, and doesn't always work right, eg. doesn't let you paste)

- Not as many protocols supported as in N900

- Currently no Dropbox client. Haven't tried any dirty tricks with Fremantle one on Harmattan though.

- General sharing options seem to be ok

- N9 seems to be very tinkerable, but you have to relearn environment. Currently it is more closed by default.

- Lack of HW-keyboard with current copypaste options and small terminal window when the SW-keyboard is on make N900 much better choice.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
+1 for previous comment.

My website

GitHub

Thank you for your comments. So the N9 isnt a worthy replacement for the N900. The handset is beautifully designed, but when its innards arent up to it... :-)

Quite honestly, if the N900 had a revamp on cpu, ram and screen (ok, one or other things), i wouldnt consider trading it for anything else out there at this moment. No matter what people say about lack of apps, etc. Which is quite a big statement on what this little thing can accomplish.

Anyway, if anyone else has any other remarks, i would appreciate all the feedback.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
n900 can't be replaced by anything today. N9(and most other phones) can be replaced by so.mthing else.

N900 is unique, the last of its kind.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by manifesto42 View Post
Quite honestly, if the N900 had a revamp on cpu, ram and screen (ok, one or other things), i wouldnt consider trading it for anything else out there at this moment.
Just double the goddamn RAM to 512MB and forget the swap. That alone would make the N900 healthy for another year or two.
BTW can't one just solder a bigger RAM on an N900 mainboard? I mean the linux kernel would not mind a different amount of RAM to work with, I imagine it would just work "out-of-the-box"...

Last edited by zdanee; 2011-10-20 at 18:50.

now that would be a nice hack. either we would fry the n900 or make all the other cel phone flavours owners terribly jealous. hm, but they never understood our n900 anyway.

sticking to my wonderful n900 for now. thank you for all the feedback.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
Just double the goddamn RAM to 512MB and forget the swap. That alone would make the N900 healthy for another year or two.
BTW can't one just solder a bigger RAM on an N900 mainboard? I mean the linux kernel would not mind a different amount of RAM to work with, I imagine it would just work "out-of-the-box"...
the problem is -so I've read- that the RAM is integrated on the goddamn SOC.
To replace this SOC with anything compatible that has more RAM would require ball soldering skills. Difficult.

In time I will probably get desperate enough to ask some Chinese company for a volume price quotation to treat N900 motherboards .

I expect a couple of weeks using the N9 will stimulate this.

Reading about copy past on N9 sets the mood.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Yeah, copy and paste on the N900 cannot be beaten. Especially when you consider that N900 has MicroB with virtual mouse, clipman, CTRL+C keyboard shortcuts and super quick multi-tasking. Nothing compares.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Yeah, copy and paste on the N900 cannot be beaten. Especially when you consider that N900 has MicroB with virtual mouse, clipman, CTRL+C keyboard shortcuts and super quick multi-tasking. Nothing compares.
Konttori mentioned in his blog's comments that system wide copypaste comes in Harmattan in PR1.2, so at least that will be eventually fixed. Also separate mode for cursor keys in virtual keyboard with copypaste was shown in the pictures somewhere.
Currently arrows are not repeated and editing on command line is painful.

For terminal use small screen real estate problem is going to stay. One can of course make the fonts smaller, but I barely can see them when I have the amount of lines on screen I'm comfortable with.