Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by moofang View Post
N9 owner for a little less than a week now. Overarching impression: it's not perfect, but I think it's the closest damn thing to perfection I've ever held in my hand - and that includes the N900, which was my previous (and much beloved) phone. That does not of course mean that the N9 is better than the N900 in every aspect.

No other phone I've had a chance to play with comes close for me atm. Can't believe it is the last of its line.
Some reviews mention lagging and freezing issues. Did you notice that with your phone?

well i dont own one yet, but i did manage to have a play on one in a shop for about 30 mins.
its fast, no doubt about that. its very smooth, its bright. the unit itself is very slim and sleek. you want to own it just looking at it.

didnt like the browser for some reason... it was fast and html5. didnt feel right or give me enough options ? not sure. it worked well.

contact list is quirky. its more similar to android/ios than maemo which i really like.

didnt like the non landscape mode on most of the built in apps.

didnt like how it handled the app screen where it was the only place you could close a running app, and only after a hold down to bring up the close gadgets on each app. this seems confusingly illogical as it should already be there on that screen like the n900 where you can close any app at any time.

adjusting settings.. there is plenty of those in there but its too iphone/android feeling now.

although i hate touch screen typing, it was very accurate and gave feedback which helped. promising, but i still want a keyboard.

want to know the battery life on it...

now all im waiting to do is for it to come down in price a little. importers and ebay are making a right joke of the price

Originally Posted by Keferen View Post
didnt like how it handled the app screen where it was the only place you could close a running app, and only after a hold down to bring up the close gadgets on each app. this seems confusingly illogical as it should already be there on that screen like the n900 where you can close any app at any time.
FYI, you can enable in settings, a swype from the top downwards, closes an app. No need to go into the task manager.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Some reviews mention lagging and freezing issues. Did you notice that with your phone?
I've not noticed lagging or freezing on my phone - other than with an early version of cuteTube.

I uninstalled that, replaced it with the paid version. It now runs as smooth as glass.

The battery life seems to be improving (I got the phone late Monday). On Thursday I ran through the entire day and ended with over 30% battery left. I was offline from my usual IM sites and had increased the interval for email checking (between 8 and 6) because I was at a developer phone camp (at Nokia in Sunnyvale, CA - but run by Microsoft).

It was fun having the N9 there - I had the best looking phone in the room. I had my HTC HD7 with me too - didn't want to annoy the presenters too much

The Following User Says Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
And how are the photo's compared to N900? I read that the iPhone 4s takes better photo's , which would be a shame.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
And how are the photo's compared to N900? I read that the iPhone 4s takes better photo's , which would be a shame.
There's about 7-8 long reviews of N9, ever one of those have gallery of N9 pictures.

N9 seems to take great daylight photos, but struggle in low light surrounding compared to some other good camera phones.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
There's about 7-8 long reviews of N9, ever one of those have gallery of N9 pictures.

N9 seems to take great daylight photos, but struggle in low light surrounding compared to some other good camera phones.
yeah I know these reviews. But I wanted to see side-by-side photo review of n900 vs N9.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Regarding lag, it exists but it's far from intolerable imo. Things are usually _very_ fluid but if you have enough things syncing in the background at a time the animations may lose their usual buttery smoothness. Basically the phone isn't completely lag-free so if you're coming in from a top-of-the-line high-spec previous phone this might be an issue for you. If you're coming from something like the N900 or some other dated and/or midrange phone though, you'll feel like you're flying

About freezing I've already encountered it twice but under what I consider reasonable circumstances: once right after I installed and ran an app from my ISP, and another once when I was messing around with apps and developer mode stuff. I like picking my things apart, but "normal" operations, in my experience so far, have been perfectly fine and flawless.

Originally Posted by moofang View Post
Regarding lag, it exists but it's far from intolerable imo. Things are usually _very_ fluid but if you have enough things syncing in the background at a time the animations may lose their usual buttery smoothness. Basically the phone isn't completely lag-free so if you're coming in from a top-of-the-line high-spec previous phone this might be an issue for you. If you're coming from something like the N900 or some other dated and/or midrange phone though, you'll feel like you're flying

About freezing I've already encountered it twice but under what I consider reasonable circumstances: once right after I installed and ran an app from my ISP, and another once when I was messing around with apps and developer mode stuff. I like picking my things apart, but "normal" operations, in my experience so far, have been perfectly fine and flawless.
So how many applications can you run before you start seeing slow down. Is it ok to keep say calendar, browser, email , messaging, text edit app open all the time?

Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
So how many applications can you run before you start seeing slow down. Is it ok to keep say calendar, browser, email , messaging, text edit app open all the time?
In my experience its not the number of open applications that matters, unless you're running high-CPU games and such. It has more to do with background syncing. Since the N9 has pretty good battery life, I have 3 mail accounts + twitter + facebook + gcal syncing all through the day. I suspect that when I schedule everything hourly they all happily start syncing at the same time instead of staggering it, so while that is happening in the background I'd see lagging animations, and when it's done I'd be back to smoothness - with the same number of apps running.

I usually only keep 3 apps open through the day (calendar, checklist, music player), but I've had short periods with 6-7 apps open with everything running comfortably.

The Following User Says Thank You to moofang For This Useful Post:

Tags
bigbadpoo!, billeatspoo, billsuxcox