Active Topics

Poll: Which phone makes more sense to buy?
Poll Options
Which phone makes more sense to buy?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I miss my N900. This thread is making me nostalgic :-(
let me check amazon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
My bad, I thought the user was asking about listening to music on YouTube.
Which I guess would still need the dedicated player? Dunno...
Yes. There is no way to play YouTube content within the browser (no Flash), so it launches in an external player (it may be a Flash player, similar to that on Symbian. The UI differs slightly from the normal stock video player). This player can only be launched from the mobile version of the YouTube website. If you use the desktop version, you will only see the message to install Adobe Flash.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Cheers.
Isn't a lot of YouTube content also in html5?

Trying to install a custom kernel and booting Harmattan causes a SCARY prompt with big letters that tells you you are voiding your device warranty's permanently.
Lovely.

And, somehow "brilliant" idea by Nokians - if any component in N9 turn out to be like famous "USB port broken issue", they won't need to replace anything and listen about how user want phone repaired, not other model as replacement. They will just check (unclearable, without bricking device permanently) records of flashing kernel, and answer "warranty void!".

Of course, "everyone" with N9 will use kernel without "shitegis", so, basically, everyone, who paid insanely ridiculous amount of bucks for this toy, will get it without any warranty.

Just brilliant.

And yes, I'm probably biased, cause even reading about such a nonsense make me somehow sick. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad people are getting closer to jailbreak it, but, honestly, I don't see point. It's like taking generic Android phone, and rebuilding everything from scratch for years (probably), just to get something working "closely" to what N900 offers now (closely, but never at the same level!).

Yea, it's free world. Anyone can go and throw out 500+ bucks, then invest zillions hours of work, just to get it into usable state (instead of contributing something useful, for example, into post-maemo/post-meego community efforts, like Mer) - voiding their warranty in the process. Also, supporting company responsible for all of this, with Your - mentioned earlier - bucks. Yea. Go ahead.

But still, IMO, it's ridiculous pathetic nonsense. It's free world, so everyone can go and buy N9, but at the same time, I'm free to have not-so-good opinion about wisdom of such person, to say at least. Somehow, it's even worse than people going and buying Iphone dumbphones - they at least doesn't have a clue. Seeing people with considerable knowledge and intelligence (!= wisdom), going into such a swamp, is much more sad.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-10-24 at 00:00.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
And, somehow "brilliant" idea by Nokians - if any component in N9 turn out to be like famous "USB port broken issue", they won't need to replace anything and listen about how user want phone repaired, not other model as replacement. They will just check (unclearable, without bricking device permanently) records of flashing kernel, and answer "warranty void!".
AFAIK, it hasn't yet been determined if there's a write-once hw flag.
If there is there'll be no going back w/o a service center knowing that warranty was voided.
But if there isn't, go back to stock image, & they'll be none-the-wiser.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-24 at 00:09.

Cheers.
Isn't a lot of YouTube content also in html5?
It seems that the N9 browser is not supported by the YouTube HTML5 beta trial. I enabled it, then viewed a video, but I still get the same message about requiring Adobe Flash.

My website

GitHub

Bummer, wonder what that's all about?

AFAIK, it hasn't yet been determined if there's a write-once hw flag.
If there is there'll be no going back w/o a service center knowing that warranty was voided.
They've put it into N900, where kernel flashing did not void the warranty. You really believe, that they omitted such a thing in N9, where it *does* void warranty?... Wishful thinking, thats it.

Nokia executives may be idiots, but they engineers aren't, usually.

/Estel

// Edit @ above

Say hello to webkit2 based, but at the same time, closed source browser. Yea, I know N900 also have closed-source stock browser 0 but I see no reasons why they did it again.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Bummer, wonder what that's all about?
I imagine that the browser is capable of displaying the content, but as it's a new browser, the user agent will not have been added to the list.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
You are quoting me, so I'm going to bite...

Well, we've discussed this a bit and I now think they are doing this for stupid overclocking, which they've previously also officially mentioned that voided the warranty. Though, as a Nokian said on Twitter, so far they do not know of any N900 that was refused to be serviced because of having been overclocking, suggesting in a way that this will still be the case for the N9.

In my home country at least, a generic "your warranty is voided because you fiddled with the kernel" wouldn't stand legally. At most, you would have to assert in a court that your fiddling didn't cause whatever problem you're having. A broken USB port doesn't need much arguing.

Dunno how it will be in some outher countries. Since the N9 is not selling in many countries either way most people probably already start with a void or hard to claim warranty. That is already more of a problem currently IMHO.

And yes, I'm probably biased, cause even reading about such a nonsense make me somehow sick. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad people are getting closer to jailbreak it, but, honestly, I don't see point. It's like taking generic Android phone, and rebuilding everything from scratch for years (probably), just to get something working "closely" to what N900 offers now (closely, but never at the same level!).
Not "jailbreak". My entire crusade is about finding a sanctioned way to freely use the phone -- not about finding a way to "jailbreak" it and getting into a cat and mouse game. If after this crusade we still have to resort to "jailbreaks" I think I'll be getting an iPhone.

Exactly because I also think it would be a waste to dump hours into a system that would offer no benefits. My hope is that this is still not the case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: