Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Don't worry, they just filmed it in slow motion for propaganda sake.
Meanwhile the line has been adjusted to spew out the next billion of WP7 phones (with Nokia logo).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by oweng View Post
I'd be delighted if Nokia came out with smart phone to meet my needs, oh wait they did with the N900, but then they failed to support it.
What's that got to do with what I was talking about
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Gah you're doing it again!!!
You're pointing-out all the things he needs to remember to block!
Please don't do that, I don't trust the guy as far as I can throw him.
While I appreciate the intent, I just don't think it's a good idea.
And no I'm not taking this tin-foil hat off!
Code for:
Hmm, thanks for all the juicy reminders of how best to kill Maemo!
I'm well aware of what happened with the N900, & was also disappointed.
Anyways it was mainly in jest, but I still kinda don't trust the guy.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-26 at 08:26.

What's that got to do with what I was talking about
I wouldn't care what the OS was, who manufactured it, no political beliefs, if there was a phone that met my needs (which is why I am considering the Prime for video playback and browsing).

So, with regards to your comments, I have no problem with Nokia bringing out a 'whatever' flavour phone, if it met my needs.

Sounds harsh, but I wouldn't lose sleep about my N900 being superseded by faster hardware, and more features whilst the same applies to maemo / meego, that is of course if the replacement equals and betters.

If Nokia did bring out a 'killer' phone we'd all buy it in it's millions.

If a future Nokia / Windows phone evolved to meet the high standards set here many people would get one.

I know this is heresy for the open source community, but most people just want a good phone - I never chose the N900 because it was open, rather because of how it met my needs. Something MS / Nokia should bare in mind.

Last edited by oweng; 2011-10-26 at 08:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
the 800 has 16:10 aspect so there is more vertical space,thus the .2 differrence in screen size. But I' not sure WP even supports front facing cameras does it?
I can't find my post/s on that now, coulda sworn it was in this thread.
I did a bunch of digging way back...
Pretty sure it's there, but more as an afterthought.
Proper integration etc. won't occur until WP8.

I wouldn't care what the OS was, who manufactured it, no political beliefs, if there was a phone that met my needs (which is why I am considering the Prime for video playback and browsing).
So, with regards to your comments, I have no problem with Nokia bringing out a 'whatever' flavour phone, if it met my needs.<SNIP>
Still not seeing how the tangent you're going off on relates to what I was saying.
I was saying it's not a good idea to be emailing him about the stuff we desperately want added/addressed.
But it's a free world... mostly...
I too will be buying more than one phone/os in the coming months...

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-26 at 08:42.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Correct--I have honestly never heard of it. Is there any verifiable way to vouch for this entity as trustworthy? (a gov't certifiability like the Better Business Bureau of the US, even word-of-mouth and major media reports on their reliability would help... I'm not seeing any of either and there's nobody I know personally recognizes the site for word-of-mouth to be effective and trustworthy). Considering the non-recognition, wouldn't you agree that it's a valid point to raise? "Why should I trust this site's word?"

So, with that out of the way and with no positive (nor negative, for that matter) experience with the original retailer we're talking about in the first place, how can anyone here even recommend them before actually ordering and receiving an N9 from that retailer? It'd be another thing if we started to see them coming in and THEN someone recommended it as "the place" to get it.
Doesn't sound like you even looked at the site? It's not a retailer, it's an online aggregator of retailer data.
Dunno mate, just try to do some digging into it, you might be surprised, it might turn-out to be mildly useful.
Although Google's equivalents have probably long since become a better alternative for North Americans.
Us "osstrayuns" are still a forgotten entity by Google in that area...

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-26 at 09:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
I'm going to recall a little historical story related to my own career which I feel bares some similarities to what has been seen here.

I've worked for over a decade as a television editor in London.

When I started there were several choices of non-linear editing software, across various OSs.

Adobe (Premiere still exists), Discreet Logic ('Edit' was sold to Autodesk along with Smoke & Inferno FX / compositing packages), Media 100, Lightworks - to name but a few.

But the BIG player (Nokia of it's time) was AVID. Then out of no-where Apple released Final Cut Pro (FCP).

A bit like the opensource community, young trailblazing aspiring editors voted with their feet to grab (or crack) the £500 apple software solution over the £60k Avid systems. There was a reel feeling of "let's stick it to the man".

But as an already experienced user the problem was 2 fold. FCP wasn't as feature rich (particularly at file and media management) -and the new breed of editor had little to no experience or professional training. Long story short but now there's a whole generation of technically inept editors without any engineering experience who have no grasp of TV video standards. Many are creative and talented, but many more can't support themselves.

The second problem was that Avid responded at a time when computers were able to perform more features using the CPU rather than using dedicated hardware. This meant that new features and software only version were rushed out with greatly reduced development and testing. Basic essential features became buggy and some were removed completely.

Wouldn't it have been great if everything learned from the N900 had been applied to the N9?

The result of the FCP onslaught has been a decade of catch-up by Avid. Pricing and support plans had to radically come down in cost. Whilst easily crackable software only versions were released in the hope that it would broaden the user base with new (student) editors.

Ironically Avid now resembles FCP in terms of freedom of thrid party hardware. Both software packages have innovative new features. However the latest version of FCP has been heavily crticised for dumbing down and losing key features.

The moral of the story is that things ALWAYS change.
It's funny that Apple was embraced for being liberal, whilst for the seasoned user it has felt limiting in someways but innovative in others.

Avid, Nokia, MS, Apple, Google etc etc will all have to keep evolving to stay in the game.

As for me, I can't keep up with all the new tape-less HD video formats, with the burden of faster turn-around at a price cut. I've spent the last year changing careers, and start training as a commerical airline pilot in December.

If you can't beat them, join them!

Last edited by oweng; 2011-10-26 at 09:14.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
I was saying it's not a good idea to be emailing him about the stuff we desperately want added/addressed.
Sorry I thought it was obvious (sincerely and no offence meant).

I have no problem with taking these issues to the top regardless of conspiracy theories.

TMO is a very small world and we can debate things here for ever with little impact on what happens by decision makers.

I'm struggling to convince myself that over the coming months the things I'm looking for will get addressed.

Just my opinion, but a working adobe flash plugin (for the N9) exists but it doesn't look as if we'll receive it.

Video support looks likely to be hardware limited.

I'm sure others have their needs too.

Oh yeah, and the reason I'm still here *****ing and complaining is because I still can't get hold of a black 64GB N9 through a recognised online UK retailer. If I had I would be too busy admiring it to complain.

Last edited by oweng; 2011-10-26 at 09:16.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Damn... the Nokia Lumia 800 starts shipping today... during the announcement...

But the N9 had to be delayed for three more months? Damn f***ers...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
I have no problem with taking these issues to the top regardless of conspiracy theories.
TMO is a very small world and we can debate things here for ever with little impact on what happens by decision makers.

I'm struggling to convince myself that over the coming months the things I'm looking for will get addressed.
Just my opinion, but a working adobe flash plugin (for the N9) exists but it doesn't look as if we'll receive it.
I understand your point about taking issues to the top...
But I personally would err on the side of caution & take each issue to several less senior folk.

He's unlikely to even know about most of the things we're unhappy about.
But he certainly has the power to intervene in a negative way if they're brought to his attention.

I just don't think his track-record warrants any assumption that he'd intervene in a helpful way.
Call me a conspiracy theorist, maybe I am, but I also think it's a way to ameliorate risk.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-26 at 09:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????