Active Topics

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Pune, India
I know no device is truly open source but I am looking for a replacement for my precious N900 (My N900 needs a bit of rest).

Is there any phone in the market which is linux based (no android please) and comes close to being a N900? I need full browser, terminal, good social networking support, mails.

Another N900 from aftermarket. Other than that, it's short answer - "no". and it doesn't seem that You'll see one soon. Unless You'we willing to start Open Pandora-like project, and create it from scratch

BTW, there were a hundreds of similar thread here. Could you just use existing one, instead of creating new?...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by debjitbis08 View Post
I know no device is truly open source but I am looking for a replacement for my precious N900 (My N900 needs a bit of rest).

Is there any phone in the market which is linux based (no android please) and comes close to being a N900? I need full browser, terminal, good social networking support, mails.
You can try Palm/HP Pre phones. Also dead platform thou...

Best bet would be to get the latest Nexus device.
After a short period there will be ssh port of Ubuntu and MeeGo on it.
After that I'm thinking using bits from Android, meego, any drivers and try to build a somewhat functioning Mer rom. If u/anyone get it to a workable standard it will get traction and get polished

so, is the latest nexus device going to be an android? and should be capable of dual-boot?
Do you know the name of the device please?

I can feel a can of toldyouso opening up soon if this is true. Another one for the people that mock those with a reasonable suggestion, this time it was saying it won't be possible to dual boot eamo or meego onto a device that starts out android.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
so, is the latest nexus device going to be an android? and should be capable of dual-boot?
Do you know the name of the device please?

I can feel a can of toldyouso opening up soon if this is true. Another one for the people that mock those with a reasonable suggestion, this time it was saying it won't be possible to dual boot eamo or meego onto a device that starts out android.
Here you go: http://www.google.com/nexus/
Yes, all Nexus are Android, in fact they are the stock Android demo platforms. All device is capable of dualboot, question is will there be anyone implementing it Seriously thou yes, in time it probably will. Name of the device is Galaxy Nexus. Do you live under a rock BTW?

The Following User Says Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Nexus no keyboard etc etc etc... i'd rather get the fujisu symbian/win7 phone and put debian

Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
Here you go: http://www.google.com/nexus/
Yes, all Nexus are Android, in fact they are the stock Android demo platforms. All device is capable of dualboot, question is will there be anyone implementing it Seriously thou yes, in time it probably will. Name of the device is Galaxy Nexus. Do you live under a rock BTW?
thanks. It happens to be very comfy under this rock.

It was more to get in writing that someone else believes as I do, that you could boot maemo on a new device that came with android on it, The only thing left now is to choose a device. (e.g Something dual core witha hw keboard) and have the community get behind the porting TO that chosen phone.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stuttgart, Germany
If you have not problem getting your hands dirty and can live with a GTA02 case, buy and old GTA02 and get the hardware from GTA04.org (orders are taken for the next batch soon).

But be warned, that is not end user ready and all is still work in progress....but it progressed nicely over the past months.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
I'm not content with Android. I had the Galaxy S2 and I have already dumped it.

I have my N900 and I got an iPhone 4s - I needed a REALIABLE phone which did not have every program force close all the time.
I have times where Droid will FC "phone app" every 5 seconds.. Piece of shat.