Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
USB host-mode (aka USB-OTG certified) is still a WIP...
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4610&page=2
Actually there's no "work" at the moment, as we're still waiting on Nokia to help the community
Man I like the look of the white one, I'm tempted to wait, god knows I've waited for yrs anyway.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-28 at 08:57.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by solatic View Post
He's being ridiculous. The polycarbonate is very strong and preferable to a metal body. Try to imagine a sippy cup that you give a baby - display glass aside, you could throw the N9 on the floor and you wouldn't know it after you pick it up.

The included silicone case is quite good as well. I've been passing my phone around and most people don't know that there is a case on it.
-indeed I was surprised after removing the ugly silicon that a likewise ugly layer showed: is that it?

-a beautiful design does not demand to be hidden in an ugly silicon protector does it?

-my original Nokia leather carying case CP-553 is not compatible with the silicon cover. This is a silent hint that Nokia allows us to use it without the silicon cover and likes us to show of the beauty of naked polycarbonate and chrome.

-polycarbonate: fine, black polycarbonate better, coated black polycarbonate: worthy of a 700 Euro phone.

-the undampened noise when your fingernails touch the non coated PC sounds very cheap

-the touch does not feel luxury in my perception, and worse slippery

-Nokia phones need to be able to hit the floor hard in any direction

-no doubt the polycarbonate can hit the floor hard without deformation

-the screen however can't , read MNNM's post http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79192&page=2

On top of that the screen is curved so the screen will easily touch the ground. It will also touch the table when you put it down.

No problem a it is gorillaTM glass, right?

I have some reports to make about the screen quality.
But since the green under angle color cast does not seem to occur for anybody, only a few, I will not disturb any ones honeymoon days and go to the appropriate thread.

I wish everybody the pleasure of enjoying his / her candybar Amoled device but I don't think I am the only one that is a little bit disappointed that there is no alternative hardware version for people who Maemo on 1GB or RAM.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Hey guys,
I saw Cancom UK back in the thread a little while back but when I search on the thread it is not there now. Is it a scam?

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&s...cancom+richard

They just told me they have a white N9 64GB in stock. I'm surprised because I didn't think it would be in stock for another few weeks.

Too good to be true? I would love the community's feedback before I pulled the trigger.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Hey guys,
I saw Cancom UK back in the thread a little while back but when I search on the thread it is not there now. Is it a scam?

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&s...cancom+richard

They just told me they have a white N9 64GB in stock. I'm surprised because I didn't think it would be in stock for another few weeks.

Too good to be true? I would love the community's feedback before I pulled the trigger.
Well, the white N9 was announced on the 26th of October (although it was strongly rumoured beforehand). There were one or two floating around at Nokia World, but it's certainly not available in any retail channels yet. Nokia only said 'Q4' for availability - when was the last time Nokia announced a product and it was on sale at a third-party retailer the next day? Especially one which could distract from the Mango lovefest going on right now...

So yeah, I can't see how anyone offering a white N9 for sale right now (late October) would be able to deliver on that promise [and certainly anyone who does have one right now could not legally sell it]. That to me means scam or - if you're feeling charitable - an honest mistake. Anyone think different?

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-10-28 at 13:18.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I won't be surprised if the white version's not available (in the nations the N9's being sold) till 2012.
It's in keeping with Nokia's plans to keep the limelight on their WP's.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I won't be surprised if the white version's not available (in the nations the N9's being sold) till 2012.
I thought they said it would be available as a 64G model in Q4?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by solatic View Post
The included silicone case is quite good as well. I've been passing my phone around and most people don't know that there is a case on it.
This brings up another question: Are replacement silicone cases available in case these get dirty, scuffed or damaged? ...third party at least, maybe?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Well, the white N9 was announced on the 26th of October (although it was strongly rumoured beforehand). There were one or two floating around at Nokia World, but it's certainly not available in any retail channels yet. Nokia only said 'Q4' for availability - when was the last time Nokia announced a product and it was on sale at a third-party retailer the next day? Especially one which could distract from the Mango lovefest going on right now...

So yeah, I can't see how anyone offering a white N9 for sale right now (late October) would be able to deliver on that promise [and certainly anyone who does have one right now could not legally sell it]. That to me means scam or - if you're feeling charitable - an honest mistake. Anyone think different?
Thanks Shallimus. I'm definitely approaching this cautiously. I now see the same contact details on other websites so it looks like a scam... The person's email address doesn't exactly match that of the UK site plus his grammar in his second email is off enough to tell me that he is not a native English speaker.

I guess I'd also like to hear from the forum moderators how / why the post got deleted. Google tells me I wasn't crazy although I can't for the life of me find the original post.

I was about to pull the trigger on the black when I found out about the white. We're in Q4 so hopefully it appears soon. It'll be interesting to see where this was made, Finland or China because of the special glossy coating.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Nokia Conversations said it would ship Q4 2011.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
This brings up another question: Are replacement silicone cases available in case these get dirty, scuffed or damaged? ...third party at least, maybe?
Yes, they are available currently in black, cyan & magenta.

for example:
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/produ...elimelle-musta

hmm found some official "artsy" ones too:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...5-for-nokia-n9

Last edited by mooglez; 2011-10-28 at 13:45.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mooglez For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????