Notices

Sorry if this sounds a little bit arrogant here.

Is there an easy sort of walk through for this to save me reading over 55 pages of how to pop this on mine please?

Thanks

Craig

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Indeed there is, as mentioned by Blaizzen a few times, you should follow the instructions on the Wiki page.

Blaizzen may be able to comment on whether there is anything important missing from the Wiki.

The Following User Says Thank You to travla For This Useful Post:
EDIT I figured that i didnt have any vocies...

Daft question where do i find those?

Last edited by CraigRobbo; 2011-11-04 at 00:03.

You can get voices and maps here.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by travla View Post
Indeed there is, as mentioned by Blaizzen a few times, you should follow the instructions on the Wiki page.

Blaizzen may be able to comment on whether there is anything important missing from the Wiki.
There shouldn't be anything major missing from it other than the python and html5 methods (as I cannot fully remember them at the moment). I will try to update it with more information, but if anyone has any specific problems getting it to work, let me know

The Following User Says Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
You can get voices and maps here.

Thanks for that, so i have put the files in the relevant folder(i think)

How do i actually utilise the files, i have tried planning a route but there are no voices, is there somthing in particular i have to do?

I only applied the mods that Blaizzen did last night for the first time (been putting it off for some time). Anyway, the Wiki was reasonably simple to follow, although there were no instruction on how to use Ovi Maps with voice guidance.

To get it to work after substituting index.html, installing maps and voice files, in addition to OMVoiceServer, I planned a route, hit the red dot to lock on to my current position, and started driving. First go never worked, as I never had OMVoiceServer running (not sure if you have to either), so I exited Ovi Maps, started OMVoiceServer, and tried again. This time I got about half of the voice instructions spoken, provided I stayed on the route.

Once I deviated from the route, I recalculated by tapping the circular arrows and it gave me the route that I was on. However, the voice guidance seemed to stop after a couple of recalculations.

Hats off to Blaizzen, fantastic job finishing Nokia's work. I'll try and get some more testing in and a bit more searching within this thread. I hope to make some minor additions to the Wiki that you wrote at some stage.

Edit:
So I forgot to ask, does OMVoiceServer need to be started manually before Ovi Maps is launched, or is it meant to be started in the background when Ovi Maps is launched?

Last edited by travla; 2011-11-05 at 02:36. Reason: Extra Q

I only applied the mods that Blaizzen did last night for the first time (been putting it off for some time). Anyway, the Wiki was reasonably simple to follow, although there were no instruction on how to use Ovi Maps with voice guidance.

To get it to work after substituting index.html, installing maps and voice files, in addition to OMVoiceServer, I planned a route, hit the red dot to lock on to my current position, and started driving. First go never worked, as I never had OMVoiceServer running (not sure if you have to either), so I exited Ovi Maps, started OMVoiceServer, and tried again. This time I got about half of the voice instructions spoken, provided I stayed on the route.

Once I deviated from the route, I recalculated by tapping the circular arrows and it gave me the route that I was on. However, the voice guidance seemed to stop after a couple of recalculations.

Hats off to Blaizzen, fantastic job finishing Nokia's work. I'll try and get some more testing in and a bit more searching within this thread. I hope to make some minor additions to the Wiki that you wrote at some stage.

Edit:
So I forgot to ask, does OMVoiceServer need to be started manually before Ovi Maps is launched, or is it meant to be started in the background when Ovi Maps is launched?
Whoops, yea you need the server running for voice navigation. You can actually open the server at any time for voice navigation (ctrl + backspace to get back to dash), ovi maps will continue to send commands regardless if the server is running or not. Route re-calculation after you deviate from the route isn't implemented, and I'm not sure how to implement it, so sadly you'll just need to press recalculate every time

the theory behind the recalculation is pretty straight forward, the implementation is dependant on what variables you've got exposed to play with.

Easiest is if there's a flag in the guidance part to determine if you've gone off route, and if off route more than x seconds, recalculate. However I doubt it would be that easy in practice.

Did you ever get distance to maneuver working correctly? If so you calculate a projected next position on the route and see if the actual position is greater than a set threshold away from it.

Incase anyone is interested, turns out Ovi Maps on the N9 is qml with a few plugins for extra functions. I've been trying to get it working on my N900, but i keep hitting walls with missing libraries and others (some N9 libraries worked when I copied them over, others said it was the wrong version or file length). Alot of the plugins are available online it seems at http://gitorious.org/ so there might be a chance it can eventually work on the N900, but I'm not too hopeful

If anyone is good at qml, it would be awesome if you could get it to work

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post: