Active Topics

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
I think battery life is very dependent on the user and activity and setup etc.
For example, on my n900 i can get 2days battery with no battery patch or cssu or anything. just disable wifi, put to 2.5g and i still make calls and txt and browse the web frequently. when i messed about with different alpha/beta applications installed and and have it in 3g constant with the same usage it needs charging at night. i think the best thing to do when you have battery drain is to trial and error what you have done, enabled, added, changed etc. every time i've had battery issues it's generally turned out to be related to me and how i'm using it etc and with a little tweaking i'm sorted. Alot of services running like twitter, email. facebook etc constantly checking, with geo tracking etc will vampire that battery. i'd start with the event feed and see whats constantly pinging for updates etc. check the application settings for your accounts etc. try with them off, some off someone etc. lets us know what you find if you pin down your battery drain as other people may be in the same boat as you.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/11/...-video-player/

New video player with tons of features the stock doesnt have. Also; open. So go nuts!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Also PR1.2 is available OTA in China! Insane!

Happy owner of N9, the last Nokia smartphone.

The Following User Says Thank You to babraq For This Useful Post:
really? Is that the same PR 1.2 that we are getting, or do they perchance have their own FW releases, IE their PR 1.2 might be what we get as 1.1?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
For example, on my n900 i can get 2days battery with no battery patch or cssu or anything. just disable wifi, put to 2.5g and i still make calls and txt and browse the web frequently. when i messed about with different alpha/beta applications installed and and have it in 3g constant with the same usage it needs charging at night. i think the best thing to do when you have battery drain is to trial and error what you have done, enabled, added, changed etc. every time i've had battery issues it's generally turned out to be related to me and how i'm using it etc and with a little tweaking i'm sorted. Alot of services running like twitter, email. facebook etc constantly checking, with geo tracking etc will vampire that battery. i'd start with the event feed and see whats constantly pinging for updates etc. check the application settings for your accounts etc. try with them off, some off someone etc. lets us know what you find if you pin down your battery drain as other people may be in the same boat as you.
To be quite frank, I turned everything possible on. You buy a new device you want to see what it can do. You dont buy a ferrari to do 30mph on a 70mph road. First 3 days I let the battery drain quickly but I didnt mind as i was enjoying what I saw. Then i started to realise I had charged it twice in once day to find it was 30% before bed time. That is not good.

I am slowly turning off functionalities - although left the haptic feedback on as i'm lost without it (it really is quite good).

Anyway today i've had a much better result from the nightly charge. It's been 12 hours so far (charged for 10 mins during the day as I was using it in mass storage) and I have 42% left. I've spent 20 mins on a phone call, a few text messages, music for 30 mins, no web browsing, no videos. Wifi has been on the whole day (working from home) - so this makes me think 3G might be a culprit here. Anyway to switch to 2G?

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ San Francisco
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Anyway to switch to 2G?
Settings > Mobile network > Network mode > GSM

If you have it on dual it probably sucks even more battery trying to locate either signal. but I usually keep mine on GSM only for background related material. Only when I actively surf do i switch to 3g.

The Following User Says Thank You to charbar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ San Fran
Email does indeed take up alot of battery life. I have 3 email accounts set up and I have dropped them to 1hr schedule and it really helped. The battery can be very good I have to admit, it def depends on usage.

If I have email sync off, its amazing almost like it uses no battery.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
One thing for sure that was killing my battery life when I was just in the Philippines was the crappy 2.5g connection from Suntel I was getting in all of the areas outside of Manilla.
The reason you ask?
Because when the webpage takes 8 minutes to load it is nothing but a white screen displaying and you all know what a white screen does on a amoled.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
One thing for sure that was killing my battery life when I was just in the Philippines was the crappy 2.5g connection from Suntel I was getting in all of the areas outside of Manilla.
The reason you ask?
Because when the webpage takes 8 minutes to load it is nothing but a white screen displaying and you all know what a white screen does on a amoled.
There you say it.

Who was the genius that decided a white screen needed to be the standard loading screen in a web browser?
Some heritage out of the monochrome era sabotaging our phones (and eyes)?

Well you could just swipe away until its done loading. Im not sure if that would waste more battery tho .

The Following User Says Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????