Active Topics

The sample videos on the phone look awesome but I cant get videos I transfer to play smoothly at all. I've converted an AVI movie to MP4 (854x480, 29.97 fps). Output is jerky. It's surprising as Media is king these days, I would have though the Nokia Suite would convert itself or at least advise how to convert to achieve best results. As I have said, the sample videos looks amazing and I would like for my movies to end up like this also!

any suggestions welcome. I'm using Freemake Video converter as suggested above (which is v nice btw).

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I already mentioned it in this very thread how I do it I think.

1. I use xvid4psp 6 daily build from www.winnydows.com
2. Set it to MP4, set resolution to 854x480 maximum, AVC level to 3.1 (can save this as a new profile)
3. Set video to H264, then baseline profile in its settings.
4. I prefer constant bitrate. I use 2000 for high quality source. 1500 for lower quality source. (then can save this as a new video profile)
5. AAC-LC for audio. 192kbps stereo. (I like my audio fairly high quality or at least not too lossy)
- I don't really touch anything else. But you can experiment to your hearts content if you like to.

My encoded videos look perfect and plays butter smooth with default video player or OVP. =)

Edit: Updated with more info...

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-11-18 at 12:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post

2. Set it to MP4, set resolution to 854x480 maximum, AVC level to 3.1
3. Set video setting to baseline profile.
4. Constant bitrate. I use 2000 for high quality source. 1500 for lower quality source.
5. AAC-LC for audio. 192kbps stereo.

My encoded videos look perfect and plays butter smooth with default video player or OVP. =)
Thanks V much, I'll give this a bash when I get home this evening. Apologies if you had mentioned this before in the thread, I got pages deep and it just appeared to be a technobabble bun fight!!

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ NJ, USA
There are ways to improve decoding/encoding capabilities on TI OMAP 3. You might want to read this: http://www.ittiam.com/en/Embedded/IP...0P-Bundle.aspx

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by skribzy View Post
I got pages deep and it just appeared to be a technobabble bun fight!!
Ah, that would be because it is a technobabble bun fight! Everyone has their own favorite converter (mine's handbrake) and their own favorite settings. Pretty much, though, if you can get your video into the H.264 codec with a "baseline" profile and keep from going wild on the bitrate, any of the converters should work fine for you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post

2. Set it to MP4, set resolution to 854x480 maximum, AVC level to 3.1 (can save this as a new profile)
3. Set video to H264, then baseline profile in its settings.
4. I prefer constant bitrate. I use 2000 for high quality source. 1500 for lower quality source. (then can save this as a new video profile)
5. AAC-LC for audio. 192kbps stereo. (I like my audio fairly high quality or at least not too lossy)
- I don't really touch anything else. But you can experiment to your hearts content if you like to.

Edit: Updated with more info...
This worked like a charm thanks again.

GUYS GUYS you're missing the point, i'm pissed off cuz i can't easily watch any video without convert encoding, i hate that for two reasons:
A-it's annoying to re-encode each video.
B-it take too long to re-encode a video.

they should make PR1.2 at least plays 720p

Last edited by 7SAN9; 2011-11-19 at 20:11.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by 7SAN9 View Post
GUYS GUYS you're missing the point, i'm pissed off cuz i can't easily watch any video without convert encoding, i hate that for two reasons:
A-it's annoying to re-encode each video.
B-it take too long to re-encode a video.
I understand your pain, but I still gotta disagree. Here are my arguments:

A - You can easily watch any video that actually fits within the screen size of your n9.
B - Those phones which do play HD video have to resize the video in real time. No matter how much video hardware they have, this places a demand on power, memory, and computing ability that simply doesn't exist for a properly re-encoded video.
C - This also means that those phones actually are doing the equivalent of re-encoding the video, only without giving you any say in the quality of the result.

Back when I first started reencoding my videos, I thought it a hassle as well. Once I got a system going, though, it's really easy as pie...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ NJ, USA
Originally Posted by 7SAN9 View Post
Some while ago, I was able play video clips with 1080p resolution on my N8. Now on my N9 i couldn't play either 1080p or 720p, the 720p worked but with frame lag, even when testing Youtube html 5 trial www.youtube.com/html5 when i set the video 720p the lag is SUPER.

How come is the n8 better than n9 with playback? wasn't the n9 has much CPU power and better GPU!!!
There are ways to improve decoding capabilities of TI OMAP3630 in software for H.264 720p up to MP/HP. Check this out: http://www.ittiam.com/en/Embedded/IP-Portfolio/Video-Components/OMAP3-720P-Bundle.aspx

Another shocker for me....

The 720p videos taken using my N8 camera cannot be played back smoothly on my N9.

Seriously?

With all this limitations, the N9 is feeling...like a f%(*&*@& iphone!!! ARGGHHH!!

Disappointment with Nokia is an understatement.