Notices

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Susdio View Post
Anyone else finding that running Canola 2 breaks the hardware zoom and full screen buttons on the web browser? (N800 and OS2008 official).
Not here. Of course, I'm still on the OS2008 "beta".

Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I realize that the whole bandwidth thing is frustrating, but really is it their fault that Nokia doesn't deem us tablet users important enough to devote more bandwidth to?
Yes, it is there fault entirely since Nokia is who they chose to work with in distributing this application. Remember when there was a separate repository for Canola that wasn't broken all the time?
I must be the only one that remembers that.
Everyone forget that Nokia is in Finland? You know, the same Finland that's touted as being the most connected country on the planet with some of the fastest internet speeds?
No excuse whatsoever for this utter failure. Nokia - and the Canola devs - just need to man up and admit they phucked up the distribution.
Or does everyone want to be like President Bush now and blame other things?

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
if i knew how i would gladly host repositories on my apache server...

After all this effort, I go under the Add Media feature and there is no networks share or UPNP shares. What a letdown for me. And I dont see that missing feature spelled out on the Canola2 website posting about 'current limitations'

Last edited by krbvroc1; 2007-12-21 at 05:35.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
Originally Posted by krbvroc1 View Post
After all this effort, I go under the Add Media feature and there is no networks share or UPNP shares. What a letdown for me. And I dont see that missing feature spelled out on the Canola2 website posting about 'current limitations'
lol man , you do know that you have to create your own upnp servers, go on wikipedia and study what upnp means....

lol it is like what you use windows media player to share media with ur xbox it's not like a podcast...
ps:research

Originally Posted by xPAKxMaster View Post
lol man , you do know that you have to create your own upnp servers, go on wikipedia and study what upnp means....

lol it is like what you use windows media player to share media with ur xbox it's not like a podcast...
ps:research
I'm not sure if you are kidding, didnt understand my question, or are just being rude/insulting, but I know what UPNP is. I've got 2 UPNP servers in my house. One with MP3's music and another with my podcasts. All of these show up under the built in Media Player. It appears that Canola2 has no way to specify a network share or a UPNP server as a source of files. I expected it to download the file listing from the UPNP server, cache it, and make it available in the player.

Last edited by krbvroc1; 2007-12-21 at 05:51.

Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I realize that the whole bandwidth thing is frustrating, but really is it their fault that Nokia doesn't deem us tablet users important enough to devote more bandwidth to?

(Off topic: I still think it's ridiculous that there's so many DIFFERENT repositories. We need one repository with EVERY file in it, mirrored across multiple servers, does anyone know why this is the only Linux that doesn't do that?)

The program is worth the issues with downloading though, as far as I'm concerned. It's definitely the best media player I've used so far. I hope that in the future, in addition to adding the tagged album art and wma support, that a FM radio plugin is developed, that'd only improve the software.
Why is there no one centralized repository? Because the closest thing to an official one that exists that I'm aware of is maemo.org's, and look how that turned out.

I hope that someone can create a good universal repository, or that maemo.org can actually get it's network problems fixed, but as of now there's nothing. And yeah, I understand the pain with it all; I counted my repositories earlier today and I've got 21! That's not right.

You know what? Phuck it. Canola2 isn't worth the hassle.

Anyone who gets this uptight over a media player ought to take a holiday.

Look - it was clear that Nokia's handling (their fault or Akamai - doesn't matter) of the OS2008 release was a screwup. That was fair warning that installing ANY application - Canola just being one of many - which relied upon that infrastructure was going to be a hassle.

There is nothing wrong with a development group focusing on what they do - development - while entrusting distribution (or packaging or printing or ...) to others.

Not to mention that this is a *beta* release...

Time to "man up" and start being polite, folks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wetcoast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by krbvroc1 View Post
I am new to the n800 thing (got mine tuesday), and haven't gotten samba set up on my device yet so i can't try this... But has anyone been able to mount a samba share to a directory that Canola scans and have there media show up?

I would imagine that it should just work.....

Originally Posted by conro View Post
I am new to the n800 thing (got mine tuesday), and haven't gotten samba set up on my device yet so i can't try this... But has anyone been able to mount a samba share to a directory that Canola scans and have there media show up?

I would imagine that it should just work.....
I did this with Canola 1 and NFS, so I imagine it should also work with Samba. If I had Canola 2 I'd test it, but I don't yet, so can't.

Closed Thread