Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
If bugs are corrected in the current testing version, without any new features being added, will the sub-version number be altered?
I don't know since I'm no CSSU developer.But some version number has to be altered to ship updates.

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
How does one preserve main version and allow increments in sub-version?
In Debian one modifies the version number of a package by editing the control file. Whatever tool is used in Maemo for package building eventually it will do the same.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by visN900 View Post
guys my version is 21.2011.38-1maemo1.. there is not "T" or "S".. what version am i using.. sorry if its already answered
Check which repository ("community-*") is given in HAM.

Congrats to all on the release of the stable CSSU. It took a ton of hard work - development, packaging, community coordination, coordination with Nokia, etc. Kudos!

Looking at http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/FeaturesStable , I'm a bit baffled. These are all neat GUI tweaks, sure. But for those who don't really care about, say, vertical apps - does the current version of the CSSU bring any benefits over stock maemo?

The Following User Says Thank You to jacktanner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 125 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post
Looking at http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/FeaturesStable , I'm a bit baffled. These are all neat GUI tweaks, sure. But for those who don't really care about, say, vertical apps - does the current version of the CSSU bring any benefits over stock maemo?
It fixes a 100% cpu hildon-desktop bug
a x-term bug where enter didn't behave
a bug where a desktop shortcut would open 2 browser windows
a bug in apt where apt would choke on packages in a non user/* seciton
bugs in PDF Reader:
PDF Reader doesn't support internal document hyperlinks
PDF Reader page up should go to Bottom of Previous Page (instead of Top)
PDF Reader doesn't use optimal screen width in fit width mode

and the list goes on

The features page on the wiki is about stuff you can configure to your liking, but is in no way a complete list of features of the cssu.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to merlin1991 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by merlin1991 View Post
a x-term bug where enter didn't behave
I guess you refer to this libvte4 bug: [1]
Unfortunately that fix seems to bring another bug because of other applications expecting the erratic libvte4 behavior: [2]
So it seems like even when using the stable CSSU one should weigh the pros and cons that come with the changes.

Therefore:
Originally Posted by merlin1991 View Post
The features page on the wiki is about stuff you can configure to your liking, but is in no way a complete list of features of the cssu.
Does such a complete list exist?

[1] https://bugs.maemo.org/6009
[2] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79563&page=2 (posts #13 & #16 by szopin)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
It should be possible to "drift" from testing to stable just like one would do in Debian. To do that one would have to change the repository from testing to stable which should be done as soon as possible (given that the current testing works fine for you right now).
You forgot the subtle true differences from T to S, e.g MP. Also nota bene there's e.g camera-ui from stock in S right now, you'll not get rid of the nicocam in T and esp not get back stock cam, when switching repo. See changelog.
bottom line: no, it won't really work as it should.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
I was just about to post a thread along the lines of 'CSSU -stable enough for day to day use?' and found this thread whne searching to see where to post.... looks like i'll be installing tomorrow then!

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
You forgot the subtle true differences from T to S, e.g MP. Also nota bene there's e.g camera-ui from stock in S right now, you'll not get rid of the nicocam in T and esp not get back stock cam, when switching repo. See changelog.
bottom line: no, it won't really work as it should.

/j
I guess my post was not clear enough. Of course I'm aware that the current stable CSSU won't replace any testing packages.
But assuming that there will be a stable CSSU v2 (or v3 or v4...) some day that includes all packages that are now in testing, switching from testing to stable now should give you a system with stable CSSU when v2 is released.
By that time testing will have received lots of updates so switching to stable has to be done before these updates are made in testing.

If that doesn't work it would imply that there are packages in testing that will never reach stable. Is that the case?

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I guess my post was not clear enough. Of course I'm aware that the current stable CSSU won't replace any testing packages.
But assuming that there will be a stable CSSU v2 (or v3 or v4...) some day that includes all packages that are now in testing, switching from testing to stable now should give you a system with stable CSSU when v2 is released.
By that time testing will have received lots of updates so switching to stable has to be done before these updates are made in testing.

If that doesn't work it would imply that there are packages in testing that will never reach stable. Is that the case?
No that is not the case, but as you wrote in your earlier post
Originally Posted by sulu
If you chose that way you should know exactly what you're doing. As a rule of thumb: If you don't know what I'm talking about in ths post, don't do it!
What you suggested will work just fine, but you have to know what you're doing. That's why Joe average should reflash and install stable then to have a "clean" system state where if he needs help people can make assumptions about the packges installed from cssu.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merlin1991 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by rodald View Post
Hi everyone im just trying to install it but when i try to update it gives me the error TO UPDATE YOUR DEVICE TO THIS VERSION OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM YOU MUST USE NOKIA PC SUITE ON YOUR PC. CONNECT THE DEVICE TO YOUR PC VIA A USB CABLE AND LAUNCH THE APPLICATION.
I'm facing this problem but there is no PC suite for linux to my knowledge. What can I do? Is there any way to work-around this?

Thanks.