Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by abustany View Post
Now you just need to find someone to make it, or make it yourself
That would be ideal first...
Else as a final resort, submit feature-request to the bug-tracker.

If you get enough people subscribed to the request & voting on it.
And if you structure your request in a clear & persuasive manner.
Then it may be prioritized by Nokia for one of the future releases.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-02 at 16:35.

Gtalk still says "incorrect password" 2 out of every 3 connection attempts. It seemed better fora while after I had upgraded to pr1.1, but it's back to being dumb again.

The Following User Says Thank You to legoman666 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by abustany View Post
No worry, that was not too long If you have a local contact with the same name as your Facebook contact, then they should get merged... Else, you can open the "merge" panel in contacts app from the menu, and click the "Refresh" button in the toolbar on the bottom. As far as I know, you cannot chat with contacts that are not in your contact list (but then I'm not a Facebook user ).

The way facebook contacts are handled on N9 is a bit complex... Because Facebook data can't be in the shared DB for license reasons, they are in a separate, protected DB. However, the "chat" part of the facebook contacts comes through XMPP, and therefore is public. The contacts application does the matching in memory.
Hm, so it merges by name. But not everyone has the exact same name in facebook and in real life, especially non-latin people who use inexact transliterations for their names on facebook. It would be very nice if it could merge the contacts by e-mail address too. As a workaround, I can create a seperate contact with the name of the person I want to chat with, the way he has it on fb.
Thank you very much for the clarification

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Helsinki
Hmmm actually I might have been confused, so here is the automerging bible, which should be roughly up to date:

1. In general auto merging is triggered when users created a new account or re-enabled an existing account
(e.g. Gtalk, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, MfE). The only exception is when syncing contacts from a another
device via bluetooth. This does not involve with any account, but it will trigger auto merging too. Auto merging
is generally a one time operation for any account (one reason we can't periodically run auto merging is that it
may re-merge contacts that we have manually unmerged). One exception is accounts with matching-only
option, which will be explained in section 5.
2. Auto merging will try to match any newly imported contacts with *existing* contacts in the phonebook. The
matching is preferably based on email and IM address (e.g. contact A's email or IM address fully matches
contact B's email or IM address). If none of these fields get matched, then we try to match contacts by name
(case insensitive exact match, and also supporting "X Y" and "Y X"). Please notice that we are NOT matching
contacts by phone number.
3. We are not auto merging service contacts from the same service (e.g. two Facebook contacts share the
same name), as they are more likely representing different people rather than different accounts of the same
person.
4. When importing contacts from MfE or another device, we only merge them with existing service contacts
(meaning contacts with an online account, including all IM and social accounts - Gtalk, Skype, Facebook,
Twitter, and in future MSN, Yahoo, etc), but we NEVER merge them with existing local contacts (contacts
without an online account, so MfE and Ovi sync contacts are also regarded as local). The reason is that if auto
merging was incorrect (e.g. two people happened to have the same name), it is really easy to just split the
service account from the merged contact (contact card -> action menu -> unmerge). However, on the other
hand, two local contacts are generally meshed to one single contact, so there is no easy way to split the
incorrect part of local contact.
5. Facebook and Twitter have a special feature: importing only contacts that match the existing contacts in the
phonebook. That means if a Facebook or Twitter contact can't match any existing contact, they are dropped
from the phonebook. However, users may configure Facebook, Twitter, MfE, other service accounts in any
order. Even though a Facebook/Twitter contact does not match any existing contact, it may match an
incoming Gtalk or MfE contact in future. Therefore, instead of dropping these unmatched Facebook/Twitter
contacts immediately, we cache them and see if they can get merged with incoming contacts within a short
period of time. We will eventually clean up the cache (so eventually drop them from the phonebook). In
addition, when new contacts are imported to the phonebook, we refetch contacts from matching only account if
they are absent from the temporary cache. This will ensure if users first configure Facebook/Twitter account
then configure a new Gtalk/SKype/etc account later (e.g. after several hours or even days), all their matched
Facebook and Twitter contacts will get eventually merged and imported.
When auto merging WON'T happen:
6. You have already imported your service contacts (e.g. Gtalk, Facebook, Twitter), and you manually create
some new contacts. Even if these new contacts match existing service contacts, auto merging won't happen.

I'm not sure if the "refresh" button in the merge panel addresses case 6... All the automerging stuff is done in UI and I'm a backend guy

Last edited by abustany; 2011-12-05 at 08:12. Reason: completing the info

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
i have an issue where in my messaging folder no contact has his/her Facebook display picture showing. Only those with twitter pics are showing. The facebook pics are showing in the contacts app but not in messaging?

Originally Posted by legoman666 View Post
Gtalk still says "incorrect password" 2 out of every 3 connection attempts. It seemed better fora while after I had upgraded to pr1.1, but it's back to being dumb again.
From my experience, it looks like Google has this weird way of avoiding several devices connecting to the same account at the same time, I guess for security purposes (I have around 6 mobile devices, 2 notebooks and 2 desktops connecting to the same account). What I did was to turn-on 2-step verification and the problem went away -- http://www.google.com/support/accoun...&topic=1056284

Once you do this, you need to generate a unique password for each of your mobile device that connects to your account. Since the accounts have unique passwords, it looks like Google disregard the security check and allows multiple devices connect at the same time.

Last edited by Reggie; 2011-12-05 at 14:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by legoman666 View Post

There is a fix coming in 1.2, read the thread in this bug
http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=109
There are several other reported bugs that sound similar.
So I hope the devs will consolidate them all soon, before it gets out of hand!
Not easy work, as sometimes it's tricky to tell whether it really is/isn't a separate issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
From my experience, it looks like Google has this weird way of avoiding several devices connecting to the same account at the same time, I guess for security purposes (I have around 6 mobile devices, 2 notebooks and 2 desktops connecting to the same account). What I did was to turn-on 2-step verification and the problem went away -- http://www.google.com/support/accoun...&topic=1056284

Once you do this, you need to generate a unique password for each of your mobile device that connects to your account. Since the accounts have unique passwords, it looks like Google disregard the security check and allows multiple devices connect at the same time.
Interesting....
Or legoman666's problem could just be this!?

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-06 at 18:18.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
There is a fix coming in 1.2, read the thread in this bug
http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=109
There are several other reported bugs that sound similar.
So I hope the devs will consolidate them all soon, before it gets out of hand!
Not easy work, as sometimes it's tricky to tell whether it really is/isn't a separate issue.
Excellent. I hope it gets released soon, as I am more or less unreachable by gchat until this is fixed.

^read/subscribe to the bug for details of availability.