Active Topics

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by weird0 View Post
We need a "CarrierIQ checker" app like Android

I'm still afraid to buy this phone on contract from a carrier.
Good news for you: the N9 is not sold on contract from any US carrier

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
I find it interesting that a security professional would think that the type of phone you use would protect you from prying eyes. Moreover recommend a standard phone and not something like sectera. A phone is only as strong as the network it is on and gsm has been hacked and encryption tables published. I believe phones like sectera use only a 3g connection for voice which takes care of the gsm problem.

Granted it would take a small fortune to acquire the necessary equipment to be able to do it, when your talking medical and patent information worth possibly hundreds of millions of dollars, it's really not that much.

The wireless access points are also a vulnerable point, for instance if you use a blackberry, considered for some time to be the standard for business security, they use their own access servers regardless of the carrier their on. Their encryption was so strong that the uae and saudi government looked to ban them because they couldn't hack their network,

Backdoors ever since the implementation of CALEA in the US and programs like carnivore, echelon and narusinsight nothing is off limits.

Bottom line ...if it is something that is that important that no one else can see or hear dont use a cell phone.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by longcat View Post
users like candies, they don't care about carrieriq, when carrieriq fails miserably, someone else will be there already, ie. google
People used to not care about what was in their food, but enough people spazzed out about it that regulations were passed to deal with certifying the quality and contents of food in many places in the world, and now we can consume food with a significantly lower risk of our food containing lead or horrible diseases.

If CarrierIQ does get pwned in the upcoming months/years (legalities tend to be drawn out), when the dust settles there'll be either new regulations on carriers and device manufacturers, or enough residual public sentiment against privacy violations that people will remain that after another couple such violations, we'll see some serious action in that direction.

Mike Fila: Thank you for the informative links.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
People used to not care about what was in their food, but enough people spazzed out about it that regulations were passed to deal with certifying the quality and contents of food in many places in the world, and now we can consume food with a significantly lower risk of our food containing lead or horrible diseases.

Mike Fila: Thank you for the informative links.
99% of people still don't care/know about their food, the drugs they're using for various diseases, about software they run, and any other fancy topic, yet the minority calls itself the '99%' and fight for it's rights.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
If CarrierIQ does get pwned in the upcoming months/years (legalities tend to be drawn out), when the dust settles there'll be either new regulations on carriers and device manufacturers, or enough residual public sentiment against privacy violations that people will remain that after another couple such violations, we'll see some serious action in that direction.
Yes, CarrierIQ will get pwned, but Facebook's Like button cookies will not, Google's 'Real name' campaign is something that people consider cool, and actually pay for being stalked, data-mined, behavioral-ad-campaigned, they f*cking run ad's on their phones, and 'don't mind'.

Regulations are bad if they're pushed this way - "The more corrupt the state, the more laws", says Roman Tacitus, and this is the issue here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to longcat For This Useful Post:
Can we focus people?
This is how Android app finds Carrier IQ.
One is checking installed java packages, but other simply finds
Code:
/dev/sdio_tty_ciq.*
files.
Add to that socket check:
Code:
/dev/socket/iqbrd
and dmesg search of strings:
Code:
"iq.logging",
"iq.service",
"iq.cadet",
"iq.bridge",
"SDIO_CIQ",
"ttyCIQ",
"iqagent"
search for system binaries:
Code:
"iqmsd",
"libiq_.*",
"iqbridged"
running processes ( checked by ps ):
Code:
"iqmsd",
"iqbridged",
"iqd"
There is some more logs checks, I do not know differences between Android and Maemo/Meego systems to verify more.

But simple script should be trivial.

Any takers?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeadLess For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Why a script? do you have those processes running? do you have those devices under /dev?

The answer is no. So why a script?

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Why a script?
So others easily can check.
There are some n9* users that terminal remains a mystery to them, or do not have enough time to check in all those places.

Besides, if we contain all checks in one place (per platform at least) it will be easy to add more checks later.

If CIQ will be sued into oblivion, there will be others. Propably allready are.
We need a way to keep an eye on them.

What was that apt command to show all fs differences from original installed .deb?

Originally Posted by HeadLess View Post
So others easily can check.
There are some n9* users that terminal remains a mystery to them, or do not have enough time to check in all those places.

Besides, if we contain all checks in one place (per platform at least) it will be easy to add more checks later.

If CIQ will be sued into oblivion, there will be others. Propably allready are.
We need a way to keep an eye on them.

What was that apt command to show all fs differences from original installed .deb?
I'd still like to see that in a more broader range.
I'd like to have a list of all libraries, programs and alike installed
on a fresh N900. The list shall contain the reason, why that stuff
is on _my_ phone and a md5 checksum to check changes.
I know that there is a list for N9 but this list lacks the checksum
and the description, why that program is on the N9.
If such a list is available and perhaps in a form that
md5sum can read, you may also make automated
checks of the sort
"What has changed on my N900/N9?"

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
I'd like to have a list of all libraries, programs and alike installed
on a fresh N900. The list shall contain the reason, why that stuff
is on _my_ phone and a md5 checksum to check changes.
I have a brand-new, unbranded replacement N900 in my closet that I only booted once to confirm it's working. It has never seen any network connection or other interaction with the outside world since it left the factory (assuming that the seal on the box was genuine).
So I could provide a list of all installed files including the md5sums. But I'm clearly too lazy to search for and put up an explanation for every file on the resulting list. Therefore I'd propose to put the list into a wiki article so that everybody can contribute to it.

One thing that would have to be considered is that this N900 is the German variant, so it will most likely have some extra localization files and I wouldn't even want to exclude that some of the proprietary applications actually differ between different countries, be it due to a poor non-modularized implementation or country-specific laws.

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
do you have those processes running? do you have those devices under /dev?

The answer is no.
Well, if we're going to be paranoid about it, how would you know?

Any self-respecting rootkit would hide itself, and that's even before considering aegis. You could inspect the firmware image on an independent computer running trusted software, but even if you don't find traces of the rootkit there who's to say that it doesn't get downloaded behind your back the first time you go online? In fact who's to say that the code that spies on you has to run on the application processor at all?