Posts: 69 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ israel
I tried to uninstall this app but the green icon still in my app list,how to remove it.thanks

edit: problem solved

u wanna buy LE shoes?hit us on facebook AUTHENTIC UNLIMITED

Last edited by bwayne; 2011-12-18 at 09:28.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
You can't hide the shortcuts from within MeeFolders yet. I will add that feature later. The problem is that it requires root access.
Maybe it doesn't require root access at all, if the N9 follows the freedesktop.org standard well enough.
Look at the menu editor for GNOME. It can hide system wide icons for particular users. Maybe it works the same on the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
Hello, I'm coming from the iOS community but I'm happily about to learn about maemo/meego.

MeeFolder looks really good! I started to work on something like that - with moving .desktop files to folders in MyDocs while deleting them out of use/share/applications. This way they disappear from the main icon grid and I can make them show up in my app. But being new to QL and the hole maemo/meego harmattan thing, I'm having my problems to make it work as an application and also a hard time with root/aegis and so on...

Also lack of time makes it impossible to work on such a project right now. So I'm happy to see MeeFolder, although it doesn't unlisted apps (yet?) from the main-grid. MeeFolder could really become a "killer-app" Most people are looking for something like that.

I also was working on the appearance of the project like folder icons.

@Marxian: Let me know if you could use them. I made them in Photoshop and Illustrator after the rules of Nokia Icon illustrations and they can be modified in any way (form, colors etc). Every folder could also have it's own folder-icon (games, docs, etc). My example just uses the general 4-square-application icon (as found in settings/applications). So this way media apps could be stored in a purple/pink Media folder, Navigation apps in a green Nav-Folder etc… Hope you understand my logic behind

Here's an example:

Let me know if interested

Last edited by almamo; 2011-12-18 at 11:50.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to almamo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
You are always my idol
I like the Web catalogues, and waiting the open music player as you mentioned before

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by almamo View Post
Hello, I'm coming from the iOS community but I'm happily about to learn about maemo/meego.

MeeFolder looks really good! I started to work on something like that - with moving .desktop files to folders in MyDocs while deleting them out of use/share/applications. This way they disappear from the main icon grid and I can make them show up in my app. But being new to QL and the hole maemo/meego harmattan thing, I'm having my problems to make it work as an application and also a hard time with root/aegis and so on...

Also lack of time makes it impossible to work on such a project right now. So I'm happy to see MeeFolder, although it doesn't unlisted apps (yet?) from the main-grid. MeeFolder could really become a "killer-app" Most people are looking for something like that.

I also was working on the appearance of the project like folder icons.

@Marxian: Let me know if you could use them. I made them in Photoshop and Illustrator after the rules of Nokia Icon illustrations and they can be modified in any way (form, colors etc). Every folder could also have it's own folder-icon (games, docs, etc). My example just uses the general 4-square-application icon (as found in settings/applications). So this way media apps could be stored in a purple/pink Media folder, Navigation apps in a green Nav-Folder etc… Hope you understand my logic behind

Here's an example:

Let me know if interested
Those icons look great. I would very much like to use them for the folders. It would be great to have a different folder icon for each folder.

My website

GitHub

Yeah, those icons look awesome!

Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
i dont own n9 yet, so a youtube demo of this app is appreciated
http://nokiagadgets.com/2011/12/18/m...ur-n9-or-n950/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Does Marxian accept donations for all his hard work?

One immediate suggestion for improvement: if you open a folder, then open an app, the folder sub-app disappears. This is good, and 'correct' behaviour. However if you swipe the sub-app away to get back to the main app screen then it doesn't disappear but remains in the background. Indeed, if you open the sub-app again there will be two of the same sub-apps open in the background! You can potentially open an unlimited number.

Also, if you swipe the sub-app down to close it on purpose, it does close, but you are left in the open-app view instead of back at the main app screen.

The best solution would be for the sub-apps to check whenever they are in the background, and close themselves if so. They basically should never be open and in the background.

There is also a slight delay when opening the sub-app 'folders'. Any way to speed this up?

The Following User Says Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Another few comments (sorry to be monopolising the thread here).

Anybody who wants can easily disable the icons they have put in folders by going into /usr/share/applications and (as root) renaming the corresponding .desktop file (AFTER putting the app in the folder) to something else, e.g. skype.desktop to skype.desktop.off. That won't affect the visibility of the icon in the folder. Of course this requires you to be comfortable with command line, modifying system files, etc, and I am sure Marxian will get around to implementing this automatically quite soon.

Feature request: I would like to modify the names of the Folders, *and* the names of the applications I've moved into folders. Where are the files located that will enable me to do that? I tried adding a new .desktop file in /opt/meefolders/desktop but it was ignored by the Meefolders app. EDIT: I found a workaround. I can change the names of applications by editing the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications BEFORE adding them to the folder, and I can change the names of the folders by editing their .desktop files in /home/user/.local/share/applications AFTER creating that folder.

Last edited by noetus; 2011-12-18 at 16:37.

Some more updates/comments.

It appears only icons from /usr/share/applications appear within the Meefolders application itself for adding to folders... none of the icons from /home/user/.local/share/applications appear, e.g. web shortcuts added by the user. Can you add these too (except the icons Meefolder itself adds there, of course). EDIT: I found a workaround for this, too. I can copy any .desktop files from /home/user/.local/applications to /usr/share/applications I want (this requires some messing with permissions though), then add this to the folder I want, then delete the newly created .desktop file in /usr/share/applications (doesn't affect what I put in the folder).

Last edited by noetus; 2011-12-18 at 16:49.

Tags
folders, organise