Active Topics

Well an interesting development:
I installed kismet and it was able to see my home WiFi, but both WiFiEye and the n900 connection picker still don't see it...

What could that point to?

Edit:
"iwlist wlan0 scan" also does not show my home wireless.

Last edited by Keeper of the Keys; 2011-12-21 at 15:57. Reason: added one other point

The Following User Says Thank You to Keeper of the Keys For This Useful Post:
Well now that is really bizzare. Sometimes my n900 does not see some channels on 13. perhaps you have a funny router?

Have you tried setting up the connection to wep and configuring from xterm?

Code:
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed channel 6 essid <your essid> key <your keyboard>

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Maybe upgrading the router firmware helps? It did for some other guy this week. Anyway, i would prefer OpenWRT if it supports your device; DD-WRT is not the freshest of the bunch, quite the opposite.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
AFAIK reg EU got lower upper frequency limit for channel 13, than JP channel 13 (that is, EU channel 13 is "thinner" than it should be). Maybe, by some bizarre reasons, decreased hoping range + Your router preferring upper parts of channel result in such weirdness?

I'm using channel 13 for my home wifi (Linksys WRT54G:, using Tomato unofficial firmware), without any problems in N900.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Well the problem was solved but not in the classic sense of the word...

Thanks to Murphy I managed to brick the router while flashing the firmware, so I got a nice new WR1043nd and installed openwrt on it.

The n900 sees the new network no problem and when I have the time I'll try to revive the old router and use it as a devel/toy board.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keeper of the Keys For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
"this is the future" - the test tube baby guy from crysis 2

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Keys View Post
Well the problem was solved but not in the classic sense of the word...

Thanks to Murphy I managed to brick the router while flashing the firmware, so I got a nice new WR1043nd and installed openwrt on it.

The n900 sees the new network no problem and when I have the time I'll try to revive the old router and use it as a devel/toy board.
If the new router runs on a Broadcom SoC, install Tomato (or if you now like to use TEH BLEEDING EDGE, OpenWRT). DD-WRT is simply god-awful to use.

Installed the kernel (2.6.28.10-power49) and observed the exact symptoms aforementioned by the original poster. I am sure this is a bug - not some obscure router configuration error. I repeated the process twice with exactly the same outcome where returning to the Nokia kernel remedied the problem instantly with no other system variables or configurations being altered.

Too bad, I recently received my first N900 and was hoping to use this kernel.

Tell me if I can be of any assistance with logs or a list of installed packages et cetera.

Thanks for the hard work guys,

Abe

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Germany ...
802.11n
what - the n900 can 802.11n ? not only b/g ? try to change your china plastic wlan router to b/g wlan.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaelxy For This Useful Post:
Could you change Your china plastic quotation, to include where it is quoting from? I have no idea what post you're referring to. Thyanks in advance.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!