Reply
Thread Tools
woody14619's Avatar
Posts: 1,406 | Thanked: 2,960 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
#51
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I thought that the device came underclocked from the manufacturer. The 3530 (am I right?) can be clocked up to 800Mhz and when I got my N900 (PR1.0 era) it had a max of 550.
The processor is actually a OMAP3430, which is spec'ed to run at up to 600Mhz. The default shipped top frequency was 600Mhz, not 550. One thing Nokia did do was over-volt the chip at 600Mhz by just a hair vs TI's suggested voltage for that speed. It's very probable they did that because the prototypes needed the extra voltage to sustain the speed, and it never got backed out.

Realistically, Nokia for the most part stayed in spec. Because of how the chips were made, some can in fact be overclocked up to as high as 1.2Ghz (a 2x of what they're rated at). Most become unstable running over 900Mhz.

Keep in mind, all of this is generally for short-bursts. If you look at standard usage, the device spends most of it's time in it's sleep state and maybe 5 to 7% of it's time at it's highest speed. The built-in scaling system is actually very good about keeping the CPU running at the lowest speed/power level needed to do what it's doing.

If you're using a CPU intensive program (doing ray tracing, running a gaming emulator, etc), then you may want to consider NOT overclocking while doing that, since that's they type of activity that will cause excessive use, excessive heat, and possibly cause damage. For short-term bursts (GUI updating, 3 or 4 seconds of intense computing for a flash app, etc), overclocking isn't an issue.
 
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
#52
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
The processor is actually a OMAP3430, which is spec'ed to run at up to 600Mhz. The default shipped top frequency was 600Mhz, not 550. One thing Nokia did do was over-volt the chip at 600Mhz by just a hair vs TI's suggested voltage for that speed. It's very probable they did that because the prototypes needed the extra voltage to sustain the speed, and it never got backed out.

Realistically, Nokia for the most part stayed in spec. Because of how the chips were made, some can in fact be overclocked up to as high as 1.2Ghz (a 2x of what they're rated at). Most become unstable running over 900Mhz.

Keep in mind, all of this is generally for short-bursts. If you look at standard usage, the device spends most of it's time in it's sleep state and maybe 5 to 7% of it's time at it's highest speed. The built-in scaling system is actually very good about keeping the CPU running at the lowest speed/power level needed to do what it's doing.

If you're using a CPU intensive program (doing ray tracing, running a gaming emulator, etc), then you may want to consider NOT overclocking while doing that, since that's they type of activity that will cause excessive use, excessive heat, and possibly cause damage. For short-term bursts (GUI updating, 3 or 4 seconds of intense computing for a flash app, etc), overclocking isn't an issue.
Here are some quick question: Did anybody overclock the cpu to death?
Is there anybody on this forum who break his device by overclock?
I want solid proof
 
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
#53
By the way i finished installation of nitdroid on emmc, now i'm working on getting meego on sd card.
I already installed ubuntu LXDE and it is pleasure playng with it with a mouse connected on usb and AV cable connected to a plasma tv. (a friend of mine came over and saw ubuntu desktop on the tv, saw me moving the mouse, and he asked "where is the computer that is connected to this tv?" he couldn't belive it is a phone )
 
woody14619's Avatar
Posts: 1,406 | Thanked: 2,960 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
#54
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
Here are some quick question: Did anybody overclock the cpu to death?
Is there anybody on this forum who break his device by overclock?
I want solid proof
The answer to both questions (AFAIK) is no. I'm not an opponent of overclocking, I actually was one of the few folk overclocking with Lehto's1 early overclock kernel. You can do what you like with your device, I'm just giving you advice. Mines been stable and overclocked for 18+ months now, but then I'm not running NES emulators and the like either...

I still subscribe to the idea that one should be cautious about overclocking. We're talking about overclocking a chipset well beyond it's spec, in a device enclosure without much in the way of heat dissipation. Add in that the CPU is in very close proximity to other heat generating/sensitive sources (like the L-Ion battery), makes it concerning for me. Using a little common sense goes a long way here.

Just the fact that most can't go above 900Mhz and remain stable is a good sign that sustained run times at overclocked speeds (for tens of minutes or hours) is probably not the best idea. Short bursts, which is what you'll find in common usage, should be fine though. Your mileage may vary, based on your device and the environment it typically runs in.


1 For those who are "new" here: Lehto made the first set of overclocked kernels for the N900. Titan then joined in, improved on, setup, and maintained the kernel-power packages for a long time, followed by Pali who now is doing further improvements and maintenance. Kudos to all involved...
 
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
#55
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
The answer to both questions (AFAIK) is no. I'm not an opponent of overclocking, I actually was one of the few folk overclocking with Lehto's1 early overclock kernel. You can do what you like with your device, I'm just giving you advice. Mines been stable and overclocked for 18+ months now, but then I'm not running NES emulators and the like either...

I still subscribe to the idea that one should be cautious about overclocking. We're talking about overclocking a chipset well beyond it's spec, in a device enclosure without much in the way of heat dissipation. Add in that the CPU is in very close proximity to other heat generating/sensitive sources (like the L-Ion battery), makes it concerning for me. Using a little common sense goes a long way here.

Just the fact that most can't go above 900Mhz and remain stable is a good sign that sustained run times at overclocked speeds (for tens of minutes or hours) is probably not the best idea. Short bursts, which is what you'll find in common usage, should be fine though. Your mileage may vary, based on your device and the environment it typically runs in.


1 For those who are "new" here: Lehto made the first set of overclocked kernels for the N900. Titan then joined in, improved on, setup, and maintained the kernel-power packages for a long time, followed by Pali who now is doing further improvements and maintenance. Kudos to all involved...
as i mentioned before i'm not overclocking it for a long period (about 30 minutes to play a psx game), after that i will set it to default speed. I know overclock drain battery fast
 
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
#56
i will son post a guide here "from newbie to power user"
 
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dublin, Ireland
#57
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
i will son post a guide here "from newbie to power user"
Any progress on the guide - looking to get back in the n900 loop
 
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
#58
Originally Posted by burwat292596 View Post
Any progress on the guide - looking to get back in the n900 loop
sorry, but i've been busy these days, but i will get the guide done as soon as i'm done
 
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2011
#59
Nice Discussion dude. I will participate definitely.
 
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
#60
Hello everybody! I'm back. I see the is more than a year since my last post here. In this time i went through an awful lot of phones: htc x9500 tablet\umpc(i still have it, is a device unique in the world), iphone 4, smsung galaxy s3- none of these phones are so open and feature-complete phones. None have fm-transmitter, qwerty keyboard, infrared port. Except the htc x9500, the other two are nowhere near n900 (from my point of view).
So back in 2012 i exchanged my nokia n900 for the htc x9500(shift) - innitialy i could not make phone calls with it, but then i liberated the windows mobile rom, and now it is a fully functional windows mobile 6.1 device - for the pda side. I said it is a device unique in the world because it runs two operating system at the same time. Winmo for the pda\phone side and any other x86 OS in the pc/laptop side. I have now linux ubuntu, win xp, win 7, meego x86 in the pc side (forgot to say i bought an 120 gb hdd for it, stock one is only 40gb) . However the 7inch screen and 800 grams! makes it quite hard to carry in the pocket ).
Back to n900-(no point to mention about iphone or galaxy becase i did not liked those)-I bought a new one this time- price have dropped a lot since the last time i checked.
And started from flasing to install everythig i needded.
One interesting fact is that reflashing did not work from pc (maybe win7 x64 was the problem), nor the laptop, so i flashed it from htc x9500, but vanilla did not flash properly- it reached 20% and then flasher closed. the FIASCO flashed completly, but when i turned on the phone, the two default videos and all default images were corrupted and could not open them, everything else was ok.
So continued with gparted to repartition memory, 10 gb for apps, rest for files (mydocs). next step kernel power (i see v51 is the latest stable), next nitdroid, next apps needed.
I see last time i promised a detailed guide- from newbie to power user
As soon as i am done installing my apps i will make the guide.
 
Reply

Tags
fremantle, nokia n900

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 PM.