Active Topics

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by cloudstrife1ph View Post
i bought a xperia pro. it may be not be as powerful as glide nor got a better screen but the not so generic design unlike most sammy and the best looking slide-out hardware keyboard w/ android sealed the deal for me. i don't have to worry about the ICS update as it's already included in the list...
I dunno about that but I guess it packs a QUALCOMM chip right?

EDIT: Yep, QUALCOMM again.

Posts: 202 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ France 55
i don't understand, did you buy a n900 just for hardware spec ? Because, the most inportant thing for me is the linux system. I'm surprized to read that some of you just want a hardware keyboard...(blackberry? muahahah).
For now, i can't move to another phone, because i love maemo too much, even if i'd like to have a biggerscreen.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turbovomit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by turbovomit View Post
i don't understand, did you buy a n900 just for hardware spec ? Because, the most inportant thing for me is the linux system. I'm surprized to read that some of you just want a hardware keyboard...(blackberry? muahahah).
For now, i can't move to another phone, because i love maemo too much, even if i'd like to have a biggerscreen.
I bought my N900... because my iPhone broke.
^Ironic, I know

That was the best thing that ever happened to me.

As long as Mer doesn't run on it using 100% of hardware potential, it isn't and alternative for me, even if they pack 10GB of RAM and dual core @ 3GHz
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
It has to be considered essential to create a working adaptation of Mer to this one, it's hardware is actually Impressive!
(Or Fremantle/Harmatan?)
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Last edited by strange1712; 2012-01-01 at 05:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to strange1712 For This Useful Post:
On the train I was pondering today, do we really need the linux kernel on mobileOS ?!?!?

I mean its wicked cool and all, but lets say if we could get full support for native/C++/Qt on Android wouldn't that work just as well?

Because it seems no matter what, traditional nix programs would still need porting (ARM architecture and all).

I dunno, just asking, what do you guys think?

With ICS devices just coming out now, it seems like an awful time to buy a 2.x android device with a hw keyboard, hoping it gets upgraded. ICS has virtual on screen buttons that reorient themselves with the screen, making hardware buttons on the screen an ugly and pointless waste of screen real-estate.

Though I haven't seen anything announced, if you are going to go android with a hw keyboard, I think it's worth waiting for the next generation which may also include the tegra III chip. There may not be a hw keyboard in the next batch, but it sounds like flagship devices are going tegra III (quad core) to boot.

The Following User Says Thank You to jschan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
On the train I was pondering today, do we really need the linux kernel on mobileOS ?!?!?

I mean its wicked cool and all, but lets say if we could get full support for native/C++/Qt on Android wouldn't that work just as well?
Well, Android has a Linux kernel, they just don't allow users to see it. (For that matter, iOS is built on top of the Mach kernel, so it has a Unix heart as well.)

The manufacturers (other than Nokia) have all seen fit to lock down their devices, that's the only reason traditional Unix distributions have taken so long to get established on them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post

Because it seems no matter what, traditional nix programs would still need porting (ARM architecture and all).

I dunno, just asking, what do you guys think?
almost all linux apps are compiled for arm(el) already...check debian reps

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-01-01 at 13:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Samsung Galaxy Note is the bestt. I am just waiting for the Tmobile to get it. Once Samsung Galaxy Note supports AWS Spectrum or someone recompiles the modem drivers, I will buy the unlocked version. Hardware wise the Samsung Galaxy Note supports AWS. Only software need to be tweaked.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meme For This Useful Post: