Active Topics

Nokia has dropped the ball on this one.

One will just have to do something else and come back in a few days/weeks when they finally add more servers/bandwidth, or when the demand finally drops.

Luckily the OS2008 looks great and works well on my n800, so that part is fantastic.

The basic apps. one needs to get started are mostly std in os2008, so we will all just have to be patient with installing the extra programs we want to add.

I finally got Canola, Mapper and Pidgin installed after 5-15 tries for each one. So, if you happen to be sick at home like me, keep trying and you may get lucky.

(I'm loving Canola 2 btw.)

Maemo Repos still with corruptions ...

Maybe before the new year will be fixed ?

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Paderborn / Germany
This s*cks!!!

Isn't there a way to fix this from the community? I mean setting up a mirror or something?

Imagine all the guys who receive their N810 for christmas? No software! Extremely frustrating.
I hope Nokia recognised that, and they fix it in the next days!

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
timeless has been trying to set up a mirror, but there's limited stuff the community can do:
  1. repository.maemo.org is big. Over 8GB big.
  2. If no-one can download files, how could we mirror it? ;-)

The main bug for this is #2620.

It rather looks as if many Akamai proxies got poisoned by the root server sending out error pages with a "200 OK" response during temporal failures - as the proxies registered a success response, they cache the request and will not refresh until their timeout is reached.

That is probably due to insufficient tests during a rush to Akamai - it may have worked out in the past while the server was standalone, and did not get immediately obvious until there was heavy traffic, but in the current situation, failing to to return error responses on failure creates a huge mess.

I tried the 2008 beta when I got my n800 last week but downgraded due to a lack of apps, etc, So I figured I try the 2008 released this week, but Im about to got back down to 2007 till more apps get ported and the server issues get straight....grrrr

C'mon nokia, your not making any friends, get it fixed soon! try using some of the bandwidth you waste on those flashy flash ads on the web pages for somthing useful

bhang

I am new to all of this and have been having trouble downloading along with many other users (in particular Python and Kagu), but I noticed an initial spelling error on one of the repositories when I flashed to OS2008. On a hunch, for the maemo Extra repository, I changed the address to http://repostory.maemo.org/extras/ (catalogue maemo extras, Chinook, free non-free). I was then able to download immediately with no problem.

Could it be a simple spelling mistake leading to all this trouble?

admjo

The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to admjo For This Useful Post:
Awesome, that worked great!

Have changed it as per your spelling, will try install canola and so on and see how it goes.

Will post back how it went for me later...

Thanks for info either way, at this stage anything is worth trying