Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Dan_F View Post
Hi kai_en, I think there's no need to read the whole thread jalyst was recommending.
The thread's actually a worthwhile read...
There's several points of interest, some sw related, others hw.
Including discussions in the latter half...
Which serve to highlight what his issue's most likely about.
(which I've already alluded to)

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-02 at 18:49.

hi, i will try to get whole on my brother's unit but i won't be seeing him until for another week.

jalyst, i've read the whole thread, the lg vs Samsung point someone raised was about comparing lg panel made for lg phone vs omnia 7 panel, something similar, i think we have strong case to claim warranty especially when i can physical show the difference in panel behavior to nokia care

The Following User Says Thank You to kai_en For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Prague, Czech republic
Nevermind, I think there's a time. But if Nokia really changed the panel type (and the new one doesn't have these issues), there should be quite a serious reason for many users to try to get the newer batch

for jalyst: I agree, but if there is really a chance that they've changed the panel type, the things could be much more interesting than the zilion post discussion about who's got the lines and dots (yes, we all have them, bigger or smaller and my unit is also creaking in the middle of the left side).

Originally Posted by Dan_F View Post
Hi kai_en, I think there's no need to read the whole thread jalyst was recommending. But if it's possible, can you please borrow your brothers N9 and take a look if:

1. for example in browser, or Gtalk/Skype, where's a light or white background, this effect appears? - http://blip.tv/ossi1967/nokia-n9-display-issues-5657368

2. when you take the phone to the completely dark room, wait for some time so your eyes can adapt to the level of the light, do you see some darker/lighter spots on the screen?

It seems, that Nokia maybe changed the panel supplier/fixed the N9 screen issues on the newer batches. So once again - please can you confirm if these aforementioned issues appears on your brothers N9, or if it's just the color tint, that's different.

Any reply will be strongly appreciated! Thanks.
Regarding point number 2, is it only apparent when you have dark background? If that's the case, does it show on the lock screen? As the whole screen is black in this case.

Actually, I didn't find the 2nd issue on my device, but I think that on the standby screen is the black part of the screen completely off, instead of the camera app, where the screen is probably on, just dark. There are some more pics in the thread jalyst was recomending (i know jalyst, you were right, it's wothwihle read...).

The Following User Says Thank You to Dan_F For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
hi, i will try to get whole on my brother's unit but i won't be seeing him until for another week.
jalyst, i've read the whole thread, the lg vs Samsung point someone raised was about comparing lg panel made for lg phone vs omnia 7 panel, something similar, i think we have strong case to claim warranty especially when i can physical show the difference in panel behavior to nokia care
IIRC konttori also talks about panel types at one point in that thread.
I've been saying it for wks, but very soon now (time permitting) I'll summarize the whole thing.
And then I'll contact the Nokia display expert konttori referred me to.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-03 at 06:39.

Would be good to wait with it for kai_ens results.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ New Zealand
Dam you I have only one complaint about my N9; well I did until I read this thread. I too have the green tint to my screen. I have none of the other issues mentioned here, or on other threads linked to here. The green tinge is visible when the user tilts the screen, mildly annoying.

Otherwise the phone is beautiful.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Thanks for the pictures Kai, this is an issue and deserves a separate thread.

It reminds me of the N8 situation: first reviewers got perfect Amoled screens then later many of the displays had an unacceptable pink tint (not under angle - just straight forward)
It took a lot of hammering from consumers on the Nokia forums to have them finally acknowledge the problem.

"Nokia is aware of that some C7 and N8 users are experiencing a slight purple color tint on their device screens. We are looking into the reports from users. If you have any queries regarding this, we suggest you contact a Nokia Care point. Nokia apologizes for any inconvenience caused."

http://discussions.nokiausa.com/t5/N...n/td-p/1229073

If you consider that your N8 or C7 device displays any of the symptoms, then your first course of action should be to consult your local Nokia Care point. If after doing so you are unhappy with any aspect of the service that you have received, then you should contact the Nokia Care line for your country. You can find contact details via the link below, simply choose your country or region from the "Call or email Nokia Care" from the drop-down menu:

After this the shops are still selling mostly pink screen infected N8's.

So what's going on? Instead of recalling the faulty devices Nokia just waits for the knowledgeable or demanding users to complain in a Nokia care centre to replace the screen under warranty.

That saves them a lot of direct cost because most people don't identify the issue, declare the soon to be end of life phone to be of the lesser quality, or lack time and motivation to have the thing exchanged. Cost saved, not rep, but do they care?

Backed with the knowledge there are better screens on the market I have just walked into the care center and got my N8 screen exchanged immediately. Problem settled.

in December I could find none of 2 new and 3 second hand N8's in the screen to NOT have this pink screen issue. It is a huge issue. Most users just take it for normal that the screen color quality is off the charts.
But it is being serviced under warranty, yes.

Only the level of service depends on your location, communication skills, the knowledge of the service people and the availability of correct replacement displays, as many report to have received the same or worse screen after so called replacement.

Since many of us have purchased N9's in Lumia infected regions, we may not even be lucky to enjoy this kind of warranty service to be available free of charge.

My N9 has been bought abroad so I am afraid that as soon as the problem is recognized by Nokia I will still have to pay for the screen (might be around 150 USD)

And yes, I have been waiting to "upgrade" my N9 display from the first moment I got my hands on it. Removing the green tint may be removing the purple edges, the black spots.. It's a gamble but worth a try under warranty.

The first thing I did when seeing the awful display of my N9 was running to all shops in town to get their advice on this pentile crap.
Nobody in the 5 shops including 1 repair shop could confirm the level of the N9 green tint to be normal for any device they were selling.
I have checked some other Amoleds and the effect seems to be magnified on the -or should I say my- N9.

Since better units seem to appear I suggest we keep this a separate thread and transfer it to the Nokia support forums for all to see.

Thanks for the pictures Kai.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2012-01-03 at 11:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
pentile != crap... it's not as simple as that...
You should've worked out that much by now, just by seeing the different experiences with displays.
*side-note*
There's a guy that will be posting a guide on how to replace the panel soon IIRC.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: