Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Right, from Ari Jaaksi and Peter Schneider on down, everyone avoided denying voice capabilities. That was exactly my point.
It was even the same inside Nokia for those not part of the core Maemo program: "oh yes, data will be there, and that's all there is to be said."

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It was even the same inside Nokia for those not part of the core Maemo program: "oh yes, data will be there, and that's all there is to be said."
Well it was on the need-to-know basis. Nothing like good old operational security.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Well it was on the need-to-know basis. Nothing like good old operational security.
Yep, and with my last role I didn't always need to know.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by turbowei View Post
huh? I think even you don't believe that buying nokia is an act of monopolies on microsoft end. Monopoly on what exactly?
Oooo, someone actually addressing me specifically. Yay.

Anyway, monopoly in the sense that Microsoft already has dominant control of the end-user computer market, AND with control over the cellphone production capabilities of a giant like Nokia, they would have a much stronger presence in an environment where there isn't as much competition. (I'll admit, however, that this argument grows weaker as the Android handsets start to become popular enough in Europe and the rest of the world.)

But more importantly, if it were to make such an acquisition, it would be a massive risk for other businesses, especially developing/small ones, in terms of patents - Nokia has one of the biggest patent portfolios around (at least, so I keep reading people say on talk.maemo.org), and the acquisition of a sizable chunk of them would help Microsoft crush competition from smaller companies rather easily, simply by harassing them with lawsuits (they don't have to win. Large corporations just need to sue long enough, often enough, and small businesses run out of money sooner than they do).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This happens, the EU will probably block it. They've sued Microsoft enough times to want to prevent something like this.
Does not apply here.

EU has repeatedly sued Microsoft for abusing monopoly status. In example when they make their media player integrated in the OS in a way that no other media player is allowed to be.

However, Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly in cell phone hardware or software. Thus they wouldn't be abusing it. There's no law against big companies in EU.

Anyway, it's not like Microsoft ever cared. They usually just change a letter in a title and a few definitions, and waits for EU to reevaluate from scratch, which will take a couple of years. By which time Microsoft has a new OS anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
The latest rumor (Eldar via SlashGear):

Rumors of Microsoft buying Nokia‘s smartphone division have resurfaced, with claims that the key execs at the firms will meet in Las Vegas imminently to finalize the sale. Steve Ballmer and Andy Lees from Microsoft and Stephen Elop and Kai Oistamo from Nokia plan to transfer the smartphone section over, where it would be run under a new Microsoft-led name not as Nokia, arch insider Eldar Murtazin*has claimed today, leaving the Finnish firm pushing a portfolio of dumbphones and would-be smartphone alternatives.
Nokia's response:
“We’ve put these rumours to rest a long time ago. The focus for Nokia is on executing on our partnership around Windows Phone and growing the ecosystem, and each company has the tools they need to do so”

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Eldar makes claim about Nokia & Microsoft deal that makes no sense for Nokia's long term existence, Nokia denies everything, Fanbois go on an outrage.

Kind of reminds me about something that happened roughly 12 to 11 or so months ago...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Companies deny everything before the official announcement.

What if Microsoft really bought Nokia's smartphone division leaving Nokia in Finland to produce dumpb-phones and would-be smartphone alternatives?
Wouldn't Nokia have more reason to concentrate on Maemo/Meltemi for those would-be smartphones then?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The funny part about this... how many times Eldar has been wrong about Nokia and people still take him serious.

I suggest patience and less rumormongering.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
What if Microsoft really bought Nokia's smartphone division leaving Nokia in Finland to produce dumpb-phones and would-be smartphone alternatives?
Wouldn't Nokia have more reason to concentrate on Maemo/Meltemi for those would-be smartphones then?
Nokia's patent portfolio would be the crucial factor here. IF MS buys the smartphone unit, what would happen to the patents? If Nokia sells away (most of) the smart phone patents, it would be virtually impossible for them to re-enter the smartphone market.

All in all I think it is very unlikely that Nokia sheds off the smartphone unit. More realistic is that a group of investors buys up all of Nokia, divides the company and sells all parts individually. No Nokia left in this scenario.

Tags
nokia, rumor