Hi!
My Nokia 770 recently stopped charging when the battery is almost empty but usually it worked after a while.
Now the battery is completely empty and it won't charge...

Does anybody know the problem?

Buchinho

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
It is possible that the battery has given up its Ghost. Maybe the many charging and discharging cycles have finnaly led the battery to stop charging completely.

These batteries have only just so many limited hours of life time. If you have used the Nokia 770 for quite a while then perhaps the life of your battery is finally over. You may need to think about buying a new battery.

Also if your battery falls under a certain category then you may get it replaced free by Nokia. Do check the Nokia website for the details about this.

I think you should also check your Nokia 770 Charger / Wall Adapter. Maybe that is not working. Using a Multimeter, try to see if there is any kind of output voltage in the tip that you connect to the Nokia 770 to charge it. You can also check the battery using the Multimeter.

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-12-20 at 15:40.

did you remove the battery and make sure there is no build up on any of the contacts???

I don't have a multimeter but the device is only half a year old. It fell down once or twice but it shouldn't stop charging then...
@Jaustin: I just had a look at the contacts and they seem to be normal as far as I can tell...

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When you plug it in, battery dead or not, does it turn on?

Age on a Li-Ion battery doesn't matter that much, it's more about the charge cycles on it. Most Li-Ion batteries have a cycle life of 500 charges. If you've had to charge the battery multiple times a day after doing deep discharges it's possible the battery is dead.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mine is constantly plugged in when not in use and after 2 years it still lasts 4 hours (playing media, etc.)

From what I remember about ancient battery related threads here, it's deep cycle charging that hurts Li-Ion batteries (ie draining completely and charging)... they work better if you consistently top them up.

But yeah, nothing lasts forever.

It's a miracle. The thing is charging again. I don't know what happened. Maybe I have to flash it once again to get it "clean".