Active Topics

Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
Now when you power on your dead phone (try with keyboard slide opened also), do you see the pinguin ?

If yes, there is an hope for you.
It says: "Loading BOOT MENU" which overlaps the Nokia sign.
Then after about 20 seconds, it turns off.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
I suppose that u-boot is not present.

Sorry you need usb port working

I suppose that u-boot is not present.

Sorry you need usb port working
Is there any change of holding it so.. that it connects?..
Or do I seriously need to repair the damn thing for $100 or so.

But strange, "Loading Boot Menu" would only appear if something was left or is present from bootmenu and/or backupmenu.

Originally Posted by eight View Post
But strange, "Loading Boot Menu" would only appear if something was left or is present from bootmenu and/or backupmenu.
Exactly, and the only thing I restored was the optfs and the rootfs.

Any explanations? Perhaps a potential solution?

Originally Posted by eight View Post
The restored image has backupmenu installed, and backupmenu uses bootmenu.
So bootmenu presence is not strange.

The problem is that he has PowerKernel on his phone nand, but the restored image is not PowerKernel aware and phone can't boot

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
The restored image has backupmenu installed, and backupmenu uses bootmenu.
So bootmenu presence is not strange.

The problem is that he has PowerKernel on his phone nand, but the restored image is not PowerKernel aware and phone can't boot
I had like 6 options on multiboot, some previous versions of PK, BFS and the original one + nitdroid.

Multiboot has been lost when you have restored the wrong image (wrong for your kernel).

Now you have only bootmenu (and I suppose backupmenu).
It is possible that backupmenu is working, but even then, it will work only for 20-30sec

@ Fabry
Thanks for the explanation, espacially for the information that u-boot is able to boot from sd-card.

The Following User Says Thank You to eight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Pondake View Post
Dude, they told me that I had to restore the backup and they gave me a link.

Which was this: http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/Backu...omplete_image/

And yes I had multiboot, but after that I installed backupmenu and the multiboot was gone but I think the kernels are there.

This was a default backup dealing with a non multiboot situation, non power kernel. I had hoped and presumed, that if your decided to restore in case of emergency, you would use you own backup. That's why I asked to you start with making a backup of your own with backup menu. The link referred to by others, was to describe a theoretical situation to restore without USB.

This must be the current situation (Fabry has mostly mentioned it):
- In nand you probably have 2.6.28.10-power49 (from the former situation)
- On rootfs you now have backup menu and the default kernel 2.6.28-omap1 libraries. No multiboot images in /boot, because that imagefile has no multiboot.

Backup menu is the first thing started when keyboard open, so I can imagine it tries to load. It could be the former multiboot situation gives some trouble. Backup menu was not made with multiboot in mind (the creator of backupmenu did't like the concept of multiboot at all, but it could be easly adapted for multiboot).

Pressing the "r" for restore during the backup/bootmenu will probably not react...

I am sorry to see that the technical explanation in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=21 did not end up in the right choice. When you later asked if the image from the link would overwrite the kernel (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=23) I could honestly say no, because it doesn't. I did not expect you where actually gonna use this images for a restore (causing a mismatch), but only mentioned it to described a fictive situation to point out the kernel overwrite.

Again, I feel very bad about the whole situation. I was under the impression the situation was clear and in any case, you would start with making a backup of your own device to be restored in case of emergency.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post: