Originally Posted by ade View Post
This was a default backup dealing with a non multiboot situation, non power kernel. I had hoped and presumed, that if your decided to restore in case of emergency, you would use you own backup. That's why I asked to you start with making a backup of your own with backup menu. The link referred to by others, was to describe a theoretical situation to restore without USB.

This must be the current situation (Fabry has mostly mentioned it):
- In nand you probably have 2.6.28.10-power49 (from the former situation)
- On rootfs you now have backup menu and the default kernel 2.6.28-omap1 libraries. No multiboot images in /boot, because that imagefile has no multiboot.

Backup menu is the first thing started when keyboard open, so I can imagine it tries to load. It could be the former multiboot situation gives some trouble. Backup menu was not made with multiboot in mind (the creator of backupmenu did't like the concept of multiboot at all, but it could be easly adapted for multiboot).

Pressing the "r" for restore during the backup/bootmenu will probably not react...

I am sorry to see that the technical explanation in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=21 did not end up in the right choice. When you later asked if the image from the link would overwrite the kernel (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=23) I could honestly say no, because it doesn't. I did not expect you where actually gonna use this images for a restore (causing a mismatch), but only mentioned it to described a fictive situation to point out the kernel overwrite.

Again, I feel very bad about the whole situation. I was under the impression the situation was clear and in any case, you would start with making a backup of your own device to be restored in case of emergency.
Thanks for the explaination, I'm pretty sad the phone is unuseable at the moment.

Luckily, I did backed up my entire phone before doing it.

But the only change to get it fixed is to fix the USB port which would cost me over $100.. well.. it's time to search for a new phone.

Goodbye Maemo. :'(

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
Originally Posted by Pondake View Post
But the only change to get it fixed is to fix the USB port which would cost me over $100.. well.. it's time to search for a new phone.

Goodbye Maemo. :'(
Maybe this can help you...
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

I've repartitioned the EMMC, changed file-systems, added partitions, ended up at boot-loops, flashed rescue initrd's of maemo and meego, and combined_images (just to install backupmenu).

Is there really no hack or workaround to get the system into booting from SD-Card, without an USB-Port?

Could anybody explain in a few words why this is impossible?

I can talk bullsh|t here, so take it with grain of salt, but AIUI, in his current layout (vanilla), every part of booting process expect something to load from N900 internal storages (either correct modules from rootfs = NAND or eMMC = optfs), and to change it - to except something from SD - he would need a USB cable.

It isn't entirely tragic, though. He can establish connection using testpads beneath the battery - safely. Of course, it requires some care when preparing, to not mess something up, but it's perfectly doable.

@Pondake - as for re-creating connection from test pads, search forum. If You're interested in more permanent fix for USB port, I've sent You a PM.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-01-12 at 02:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I'm wondering if it could work if he opens 20110619-2247-rootfs.tar.gz file with 7-zip and then delete all files inside \lib\modules\2.6.28-omap1\ and then in same folder paste all modules (files) for kernel-power he uses (in nand)?

EDIT: I see now, he is not able to access backupmenu. Very bad.

Anyway, I would like to know if this clean rootfs image can be used for device with flashed KP49 if I just replace content of 2.6.28-omap1 folder with files from 2.6.28.10-power49 (from KP49 modules package)? Or should I remove whole 2.6.28-omap1 folder and put there 2.6.28.10-power49 instead?

Last edited by kolos; 2012-01-12 at 00:08.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by kolos View Post
I'm wondering if it could work if he opens 20110619-2247-rootfs.tar.gz file with 7-zip and then delete all files inside \lib\modules\2.6.28-omap1\ and then in same folder paste all modules (files) for kernel-power he uses (in nand)?
To work files must be in /lib/modules/2.6.28.10-power49 and you don't need to delete 2.6.28-omap1 folder (two folders = two kernels usable)

Anyway, I would like to know if this clean rootfs image can be used for device with flashed KP49 if I just replace content of 2.6.28-omap1 folder with files from 2.6.28.10-power49 (from KP49 modules package)? Or should I remove whole 2.6.28-omap1 folder and put there 2.6.28.10-power49 instead?
NO, replace method NOT works, for reason already given.
But if you add the new modules folder it should work with KP49

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post: