Poll: Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?
Poll Options
Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
I must say my first impressions were that WP would be the main smartphone OS which is really mid range target base (you can't really say iPhone or even Android were made for power users), whereas Meego family was more of the High end power user OS of choice.
Power users will always be a minority segment unfortunately.
Does anyone remember when it was announced that N8 was to be the last N series device to run Symbian, when it was commonplace to misread and assume there would be no more Symbian devices ever?
I hope there are some parallels there, although I have no doubt's regarding Elop being a Microsoft troll.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Banyuwangi, Indonesia
Originally Posted by ajack View Post
I think Nokia will port Harmattan to the WP7, MeeGo is dead to Nokia... The N9 is just a face saving exercise and the N950 is just the older designed "original" N9 that operators rejected and that they have a ton of them in a warehouse somewhere.
"......that they have a ton of them in a warehouse somewhere."

Let's find where that is!

[QUOTE=HanzBlix;1149834]you can't really say Android were made for power users

My NOTE wants to slap your face for blasphemy!

Originally Posted by HanzBlix View Post
whereas Meego family was more of the High end power user OS of choice.
Lol no. MeeGo was meant to be the iOS equivalent, except it packs the necessary features to be more "powerful" than Android. I really do mourn for MeeGo, Mer is no longer looking promising.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Lol no. MeeGo was meant to be the iOS equivalent, except it packs the necessary features to be more "powerful" than Android.
Agreed, kinda.

, Mer is no longer looking promising.
Way too early to be coming to that conclusion.

A lot of speculations here ... I personally believe that Meego (harmattan) is still there, when Mr. Elop is already gone ... but I believe also that Windows was a right choice for Nokia just at the moment ... of course, all that is just an opionion of one single happy N9 owner, who is waiting to have PR 1.2 soon and then, PR 1.3, which proves me that Nokia is supporting and developing Meego Harmattan for the future ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaripi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by jaripi View Post
A lot of speculations here ... I personally believe that Meego (harmattan) is still there, when Mr. Elop is already gone ... but I believe also that Windows was a right choice for Nokia just at the moment ... of course, all that is just an opionion of one single happy N9 owner, who is waiting to have PR 1.2 soon and then, PR 1.3, which proves me that Nokia is supporting and developing Meego Harmattan for the future ...
Of course they are supporting and developing. However, we won't see geeky devices with terminal anymore. Instead we will see topnotch user experience and devkit based on Qt. What's inside the box (OS) will be hidden and not available for customers anymore.

Personally I will happily switch into "dumb phones" if such phones include Qt and swipeUI with some cloud integration. I can do more advanced things with other gadgets.

Originally Posted by HanzBlix View Post
I must say my first impressions were that WP would be the main smartphone OS which is really mid range target base (you can't really say iPhone or even Android were made for power users), whereas Meego family was more of the High end power user OS of choice.
Power users will always be a minority segment unfortunately.
Power users <=> minority
let's see... Audi S8, BMW 760, Mercedes S600...
these are cars full of (not too bleeding-edge) technology, all aimed at top management & the like...
NOKIA communicator? it was THE top manager mobile phone; the last evolution of the communicator series (E7) has a hw kbd too, runs belle...

so why don't we see more S8s, 760s & S600s or communicators?
well, even top managers are customers and if Apple or Lexus come along with a GOOD LOOKING (even though technologically inferior) product and SELL IT WELL, ppl go for it, top management included.

WP <=> main smart-phone OS?
not sure on which planet you have been living (on vacation?) in the past year, but obviously ppl are tired of m@ke$$h!t's crap...
they are simply not buying in it anymore, certainly not if they have the choice... think of it as the US car makers; they sat on their a@@es for too long (even though LostDOS imMobilized was one of the 1st OS to try & compete w/ GEOS / Symbian v6...) and now are playing catch up, even though the comparison is limited in that mobile phone OSes are a different ball game then PC OSes...
well, in a way it isn't... big cars are out, small cars reign and... US car makers have no f###ing clue how to make those

Does anyone remember when it was announced that N8 was to be the last N series device to run Symbian, when it was commonplace to misread and assume there would be no more Symbian devices ever?
I hope there are some parallels there, although I have no doubt's regarding Elop being a Microsoft troll.
got your drift... you hope the N9 will get an upgrade path to Maemo 2012

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
I hope there will be, but I dont think anything else will come out.

If anything Nokia N10 just sounds bad. "En Ten" Doesnt sound like a sleek market-able name.

But then again why did it go N95->N96->N97->N8??->N9

I guess they figured N98 and N99 sounded odd... wow I really got off on a tangent

Originally Posted by jaripi View Post
How was WP a right choice? Nokia had 2 ready devices, N9 and N950. They could have been releasing a 4th MeeGo device now. This changed their whole 99% ready ecosystem, MeeGo + Symbian + S40 + Qt + Ovi services. It would have been a perfectly unified, yet diverse ecosystem. WP is fragmenting Nokia's offering and lacks the basic 10 year old features, such as Mass Storage mode and lack of a PC client (Zune, iTunes).

All this was proprietary. Please do tell me, how WP was a good plan, even for a "moment." Also, if Nokia was smart, they could have just slapped Maemo 5 on a 10 inch tablet and be done with the tablet war (Honeycomb is a M5 wannabe).

There won't ever be another MeeGo device from Nokia, that's for sure. However, there might be a chance for Maemo since there was NO mention of its death.