Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
MS might be paying Nokia 250MUSD per quarter. Quite a good amount.
That's just loose change to MS. It is a chicken feed of an amount to pay in return for being able to buy up Nokia in a year or two for next to nothing.

If all those blog-appraisals of sales figures are correct, M$ should buy Harmattan from Nokia and invest its money into a kickass open-sourced product and become the holiest company out there. Charity of founder is just the start, only way they can kill Apple/do-no-evil google is by becoming opensource avatars. This would be not only super from PR perspective, this would free the mobile world. Maybe a petition to Bill?

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Other information in the results:
MS might be paying Nokia 250MUSD per quarter. Quite a good amount.
i don't know where you learned math or accounting (if at all), but 250 M$ pampering versus 1400 M$ loss sounds like a pretty bad deal to me

i don't want to add to the number speculation about the N9's sales; only thing i can say for sure (along whatsa's line) is that in one of those markets where the N9 is not (officially) distributed it can both be bought directly without contract from various online shops and the largest carriers in the countries (with contract)...
i don't think they'd brave Flop just for the sake of the fun; there must a real demand for the thing, otherwise it wouldn't be offered (@ horrendous prices, nonetheless...)

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Fidelity (Magellan) is a big MS shareholder also and owned quite a bit part of Nokia before the Trojan Horse was inserted in Nokia.
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
It was the old fashioned "take-over" of the company by "MS". Now Nokia is *owned* as it has made the restricting binding agreement with MS and burned all the bridges behind it.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing this info! Got more? That Elop is a Microsoft shill has been clear from day one

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
AFAIK the N9 sales have not been mentioned. I very much doubt anything more than 100.000 . The N9 is relatively expensive, not marketed well, and hard to get outside of select markets.
Originally Posted by aRTee View Post
Guys, from where do you have those N9 sales numbers? Esp. compared to the Lumia / WP sales numbers.
You can doubt, but every rumor or stats I've seen are between 1 and 2 million for Q4 (mentionned elsewhere in this thread too).
It really sold quite well, just not in the "major" markets.
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
If it gets its **** up and N9 sales turn out to be great (as everyone is suggesting without any data) it might have some money to spend on investment and unfreezing things like maemo/meego.
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
There is some reasoned speculation online that N9 outsold Lumia. N9 may have sold 1.4 million and Lumia just over a million.
There was this story a few days ago:

Nokia Lumia Sales Seen Topping 1 Million in Relief for Stock

Jan. 23 (Bloomberg)
The Lumia handsets, which went on sale in Europe in November, probably sold 1.3 million units globally to operators and retailers by the end of last year, according to the average estimate of 22 analysts compiled by Bloomberg.The projections range from 800,000 to 2 million and only one analyst predicted sales of fewer than 1 million handsets.
Sales of the Symbian smartphone line declined 36 percent in the two quarters between the Lumia announcement and launch, and will likely have a bigger effect on revenue and profit. Nokia, which reports earnings Jan. 26, probably had a fourth-quarter loss of 92 million euros ($119 million), as sales may have fallen 21 percent to 10 billion euros, separate surveys of analysts showed.
Nokia's shares fell 52 percent in 2011. Today, the stock fell 0.5 percent to 4.32 euros in Helsinki trading as of 4:05 p.m. Since the beginning of this year, Nokia has gained 15 percent, while Apple rose 3.8 percent and HTC was down 1.7 percent. The Lumia models won respect from reviewers and bloggers, including 13 awards at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
Lumia sales may reach 3.2 million units this quarter as the handsets ramp up in Asia, according to the average of 16 analyst estimates. Estimates for full-year sales of Windows Phones have reached as high as 37 million units from Morgan Stanley.
Nokia's fourth-quarter results will also include the N9, a Lumia 800 lookalike running Nokia smartphone software called MeeGo, which began shipping in September at prices from 480 euros. The N9 may have sold 1.4 million units last quarter, Pareto Oehman analyst Helena Nordman-Knutson said.
Edit: This bit really pisses me off:

the N9, a Lumia 800 lookalike

Last edited by Lomax; 2012-01-28 at 05:02.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
...a Lumia 800 lookalike running Nokia smartphone software called MeeGo, which began shipping in September
It actually didn't ship in decent no's to many launch countries till the beginning of Nov.
There was huge debates in the epic N9 thread about poor availability, and what was going on.
We worked out there was some kind of "ramp-up" issue in the main factories, it was eventually resolved.
So by mid-Nov/Dec limited distribution had mostly been rectified for the 1st countries.

Oddly enough, the Lumia models did not appear to suffer the same "ramp-up" issues.
But they were only delivered to a few countries to start with, but so was the N9 (it was phased etc).
Dunno......

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-28 at 15:41.

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Lumias came very late in 2011, so no wonder they didn't sell a lot of them. No point in comparing Lumias to Samsung or Apple devices which enjoy much more popular availability in the world, mostly because they were launched *months earlier* (plus, the popular knowledge of 'iphone' comes in years while Nokia has jut started promoting the whole Lumia/WP thing just recently).

Anyhow, I don't believe they sold even a million of N9s. Where are these phones then? N9 owners are very rare while pretty much every second person owns an iPhone, at least as it may seem in any bigger European city.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
What will they do? Continue on the doomed path of WP7.

What *should* they do? Tell M$ to P.O. and go with Meego Harmattan.
Its too late to change the course.

Meego/Maemo team was mostly dismantled, the small crew doing Meltemi work are concentrating on low-end devices. Marketshare is plummeting down, commercial 3rd party developers are leaving (mobile) Qt and so on.

By the time Nokia would have something new ready for smartphonemarket, it would have already lost remaining marketshare, whatever is left at the bank, Qt ecosystem, brand recognition etc. Its about being a boring Microsoft OEM or shutting down/selling the business for Nokia from now onwards.

OPK era Nokia did the right things badly, Elop era Nokia does stupid things idioticly.

Last edited by Rauha; 2012-01-28 at 16:35.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
No point in comparing Lumias to Samsung or Apple devices which enjoy much more popular availability in the world, mostly because they were launched *months earlier* (plus, the popular knowledge of 'iphone' comes in years while Nokia has jut started promoting the whole Lumia/WP thing just recently).
Anyhow, I don't believe they sold even a million of N9s. Where are these phones then? N9 owners are very rare while pretty much every second person owns an iPhone, at least as it may seem in any bigger European city.
We're talking about compared to the L800 or 710....
I think it may (or could) have done quite well, despite the many roadblocks it's faced.

It's irrelevant anyway, as sales rates will gradually get much better for the Lumia's (if they haven't already).
It's constantly being rolled-out to new countries... & more importantly...
It started in the the largest economies, & the ones with the highest smartphone uptake rates.
At one point it was promised the N9 would be rolled-out to some countries it's blocked form.
That was about 3-mth ago, but we've heard nothing since...

All we hear about, is new countries that the Lumia series are going to, & Nokia fast-tracking roll-outs to x countries.
And all we hear about, is the massive telco subsidies, & schemes to award salespeople for selling Nokia WP's etc.
With way more love it could've been a sales success, but N9 ultimately doesn't have a chance.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-28 at 17:05.

I still think Elop is a shill and that this is basically a take-over of Nokia by Mircosoft. No-one can be that incompetent and bullishly arrogant at the same time. Eliminate competing product. Check. Run company into the ground. Check. Offer helping hand. Check. Unless the Finnish government steps in I think knife in the back comes next.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lomax For This Useful Post: