Originally Posted by eflyersteve View Post
The only thing that I don't like is the new way to bring up the thumboard keyboard and the screen seems less sensitive to finger taps.
It is not a "new way to bring up the thumboard", it's a freaking frustrating and inexplicable bug!

well said!

i'm a brand new user of the n800 and i love os2008. thumbs up for the fresh look. it could do with system-wide kinetic scrolling, more finger friendly ui (especially in the browser)and some more easy access buttons.
the os2008 is superb but its rollout was abismal. more repository servers....this is not an experiment anymore, its serious mainstream so everything has to be ready at release.
i love my new n800 so much and os2008. i look foward to the next update with many needed bug fixes and performance improvements.

long live maemo and nokia internet tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to bazanime For This Useful Post:
Like snowlog, I have noticed as well that scrolling has become especially problamatic; the touch screen is barely usable at best. Highlighting instead of scrolling really bugs the heck out of me. Hmm, I really hope that Nokia resolves this issue soon...

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Alberta, Canada
I personally really like OS2008, it feels a lot more snappy to me, plus the gui is a lot more visually appealing. transparency on the home screen, a lot more 'finger friendly' and overall just looks so much nicer. :-)

Thanks to all who posted comments on this thread.
Update 2.
After a week of reading posts, downloading apps and playing with all the new apps I have with the new os2008 it's a truly amazing little tablet. I now have unzip app, spreadsheet app, games, media players and many many other great and useful apps.

But it will be another year before I have another week off to spend repeating this weeks efforts. It was a rewarding experience that I will never be able to repeat. Next time I will pay someone to do it. I just don't have the time. If this tablet is to go to the general public in large numbers it will need to have a simpler and easier way to load apps.

Without this forum I would have returned it and gotten something easier to expand. Great work to everyone who developed the apps and assists all new users. You should be very proud of your work.

Nokia really needs to bring it's resources to make this process simpler and intuitive if they want to rule in the tablet world. It's a great platform that will change the way we compute and communicate. lol

I'm going to have to revise my stance. It seems that the upgrade is causing my battery to drain faster than it did under OS2007. I did a full recharge (10 days/7hrs), put it in soft power off, and let it set for a day (no usage at all). When I came back, it was at 6 days / 4 hours.

Right now, thumbs down because battery life is a major factor in my book.

Originally Posted by harvwallbanger View Post
I love the OS2008. I've only had my N800 for a few months and loved it. There wasn't too ....

So far I've installed:

Canola 2
Mplayer
Camera
Battle Gweled
CrazyParking

- When I use Mplayer the audio is off a bit from the video when using DivX. I started a post on this already. This kind of sucks because I use my N800 a lot for Divx movies.

Hi, I need help on mplayer. I am unable to install it as the OS2007 is not instalable on OS2008. How did you install it, or did you install OS2008 version? If so, from where?

I have another question reg Bluetooth headset. I read on some thread that BT headphones are working now on OS2008. I mean without any external BT transmitter connected to headphone slot. Can anybody confirm this?

Also read other threads, on navigation softwares for N800. Alternates for Maemo Mapper and Built in wayfinder. Maemo Mapper needs internet connection while travelling and wayfinder involves recurring costs (not just one time).

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by dauvis View Post
I did a full recharge (10 days/7hrs), put it in soft power off, and let it set for a day (no usage at all).
Word of caution, soft power-off isn't actually functional right now.

Also: if you're not using it, you might as well just plug it in.

Originally Posted by venubvs View Post
How did you install it, or did you install OS2008 version? If so, from where?
Install the Maemo extras-devel repository.

Can anybody confirm this?
Just about everybody in more than a dozen threads in most of the forums.

Also read other threads, on navigation softwares for N800. Alternates for Maemo Mapper and Built in wayfinder. Maemo Mapper needs internet connection while travelling and wayfinder involves recurring costs (not just one time).
Wrong. maemo mapper is very usable without an internet connection. See my posts on the first page over here. It caches the map data in a database for use while offline. That's actually for 1.4, but everything is pretty much still relevant.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2007-12-31 at 07:03. Reason: Added another reply

Originally Posted by eflyersteve View Post
I'll say 'thumbs up'.

I'm a relative new user to the N800 and waited for the official release of OS2008. Web embedded flash video is much improved and the new look is welcome. The only thing that I don't like is the new way to bring up the thumboard keyboard and the screen seems less sensitive to finger taps.
Actually, that's not exactly the problem; the problem is the touchscreen is actually more sensitive, too sensitive in fact. If you move your finger even the tiniest bit during a click, the tablet registers the event as a drag (resulting in a tiny scroll or select) rather than the click you intended. This is compounded if trying to double-click something, though I am uncertain whether double-click problems are solely a result of the newfound sensitivity or also due to a reduction of the "double-click width" (time and/or space) value.

So, in this case, more sensitivity == less sensitive touchscreen because most human finger movements are outside the new, more sensitive tolerances.