Active Topics

Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
I think going for windows 7.5 was a great idea, nokia would have died on synbian but dicthcing meego is was down right stupid!
Having Meego devices along with WP7 wouldn't have hurt them.
Symbian is still selling. It took them long to make it sparkle, but Belle, Carla and Donna could have been top sellers in their segment. However, after the burning memo, the opposite is a given.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
yeah. ram was the biggest problem in S60v2 and v3 devices. that was resolved in later devices running S60v3 Feature Pack 2. My Nokia 5320 was having 128 mb ram and was much high than the requirements of Symbian. The great thing about symbian is that its not resource hunger nor battery hunger.
RAM issue was resolved with Feature Pack 1, not 2. N95 8GB, N82, N93, E90 (OMAP 2420 devices), they all had 128MB RAM with demand paging (free ram was ~85MB on boot). S60v5 lacked RAM and a GPU and so did the FP2 devices. If Nokia was smart and added RAM and GPUs, even N-Gage would've still been alive. I love the app and its store. Job done well with no support whatsoever.

I don't like fanaticisim and as I said in my last post, n900 and maemo based devices were a gift from Nokia.

Nokia was always in mind of everyone because they were the most important and they were always with new products.

each new product generated comments and comments.

now I enter in Nokia site and see 0 interesting products.

I remember the days when nokia 9300 , nokia 9500 , nokia 7710, nokia 770 were in their site.

OOOOOHHHH my S80s...

One of the problems of actual Nokia is that it has lost its SOUL.

Its FAITH doing things in different ways...now they are just copying products.

the only thing I can say now is long life n900.

regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to 48GX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
I don't have an issue with symbian but it did not have the advertising power that WP7 has "/ i loved all my symbian phones.

And to be fair i do really like WP7 it's too locked down for me and quite unpleasant to use, that is why i love my N9 <3

http://www.osnews.com/story/25569/No...selling_Lumia_
This article seems to say that for 1lumia sold 3 N9's were sold!
that 3 to 1 (N9 to Lumia) comes from the numbers Ahonen uses...
according to Ahonen's math and estimates, Nokia sold 600000 Lumia's last quarter (Q4)
even though the number is controversial in its definition (number of devices shipped versus number sold) there seems to be about 1'000'000 Lumia's shipped/sold 'til recently (possibly including some in Jan, though...)
the 1'500'000 (2 million?) N9's are not quite clearly defined neither (selling started in October, i believe whereas Lumia's only started shipping in late November or even December...)

for sure, N9 sells amazingly well for a device that is not supposed to whereas the "saviors" Lumia are far from a roaring success they should be...
but that's hardly NOKIA's fault, now, is it?
there are simply running m@le$$h!t's LostDOS Paralyzed

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
even though the number is controversial in its definition (number of devices shipped versus number sold) there seems to be about 1'000'000 Lumia's shipped/sold 'til recently (possibly including some in Jan, though...)
It's hard to have sales when Lumia 800 costs €490 in my country and a Nexus costs €510. Some idiot managed to buy the Lumia. I got excited for short and thought it was a N9. But then, I saw the buttons....

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Setok View Post
The assumption of a 'cult' being behind Apple's success is dangerous, and a trap many companies could fall into. I'm sure there must be some Tru Fanboys out there, because everyone talks about them. I've yet to meet one, though. The fact of the matter is Apple makes really great products.
Reliable, happy customers should be the goal of any company. Nokia has them, but lesser now than say in 2007 - despite the world population growing.

Regardless; you should look at how Apple did it. Innovation, great marketing, research and development around UI/UX, materials and distribution channels.

OK, I'm using an N9 right now. I love the look of the device, the buttonless operation, double tap to open, swipe...
I loved it too. It's waiting on PR 1.2 before I switch back to it - felt incomplete but fun to use.

But the reality is my iPhone is way more stable and much easier to set up. The battery on it also lasts clearly longer and the antenna seems stronger (antennagate was mostly FUD). The font rendering is also better (or, possibly, the selected fonts have better defined properties in a typographical sense), the screen more precise and colour rendering is nicer.
That's your experience. I get what you're saying but as it stands, to sell the masses what you're selling (Apple) instead of offering folks stuff they may not want (Nokia) - there's a big difference. Nokia didn't adapt to the changes in the markets as fast as the others. Same for RIM/Blackberry.

Nokia is where it's at because it had rubbish products in comparison. My S40 wasn't horrible, but I switched to an iPhone as soon as the 3G came out. But even before the iPhone I suffered just looking at people using S60.
I blame the management.

Having said that, I think the N9 is the best product Nokia has produced in many, many years.
The N900 crowd will disagree with you. The N9 was the first time Maemo was a mass customer facing/directed attempt for Maemo. And it's dead mainly due to management.

One that really shows the huge potential there could have been, and one that appeals to people's imaginations. The moment I saw an early prototype, I was immediately keen on it. Its fate is a sad thing.
Management should have funded it. Fire the management. Fire the board of directors.

Last edited by gerbick; 2012-02-02 at 19:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
gee, me was thinking of Flop as the zealot...
Ollila: Reactions to Nokia Lumia positive...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
It's hard to have sales when Lumia 800 costs €490 in my country and a Nexus costs €510.
4.95 € with contract or contract prolongation at T-Mobile D. Just like any other highend Android or iOS phone. But despite of that usual price, I have not seen any people using Lumia in Germany.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I wish all Lumias go bankruptcy.

The Following User Says Thank You to ENNINE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
i did not see any lumia in romania, only N9.
problem with N9 is that i only saw 16gb version, and for a device without sd, the 64 gb is a must. ( at least for me ).

The Following User Says Thank You to ioncelmare For This Useful Post:

Tags
dirge, marionettes