Notices

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Originally Posted by bilofsky View Post
The documentation says "When an unlocked version of the puzzle comes out, you can continue your partially filled-in puzzle ...". It might be clearer to say "When an unlocked version of the puzzle comes out, you can open that unlocked version in xword. Your filled-in answers will be there just as before, but now you can use the "check/solve" functions."
I'll work on rewording the web page.

I would suggest that if the puzzle is locked, you gray out the Check and Solve menu items rather than producing gibberish. (Especially since the XXX's from doing a Check on a locked puzzle are not removed when the Check is done again on the unlocked version.)
I'm not entirely sure what makes a puzzle encrypted. There are a few bytes in the file that are different (in addition to the answer key), but I really haven't investigated the issue. We currently don't have code to detect if a puzzle's answers are encrypted or not, so we can't gray out the check/solve buttons. If I could figure out the encryption method, I would simply decrypt the puzzle.

As for the XXXs, I think I just need to "re-check" those spaces when the puzzle is reopened. (Currently, it would add those little red/black triangles though.) I'll try to work on a fix for the next release.

This morning, my N810 offered me updates to the OS and to xword.

Is there anything interesting in the xword update? The Application Manager says 1.0.9-2 is installed, but About says it's 1.0.9-1.

The OS update seems to have erased my saved puzzles. I was done with them anyway. But is it appropriate to flag them so Backup saves them?

Originally Posted by bilofsky View Post
Is there anything interesting in the xword update? The Application Manager says 1.0.9-2 is installed, but About says it's 1.0.9-1.
That's my mistake. I had to update xword to 1.0.9-2 since I messed up the autobuild process and omitted one line of code, but I neglected to update the version number within the application itself. The version number within xword should probably be just 1.0.9. It will go back to 1.0.10 for the next release (not sure when that will be though).

The OS update seems to have erased my saved puzzles. I was done with them anyway. But is it appropriate to flag them so Backup saves them?
I'm not familiar with the Backup flagging system. I'll have to look into that.

.....it sure would be nice to have xword functional on my N900...

I tried a year ago, installed it with dpkg -i
and it borked my system pretty bad!

If someone can help me I have a nice link to a daily free crossword archive that works oh so well with xword!!

p.s. if you want the link I could also just give it anyow....

dcarter

I never bought an N900 so I don't know what is involved with getting xword to work on that. In fact, since I moved to an Android phone, I haven't used my N800/N810. I'm not sure what the primary developer owns, but I'd say development on xword has pretty much stopped.

The xword program is actually just one big python script located in /usr/bin/xword. The rest of the package is stuff like the icon and linking .puz files with the program. If you can get the python dependencies to install on the N900, you can simply copy the /usr/bin/xword program over and run it without having to use dpkg.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post:
Is anyone using this application with the Diablo5 theme? I am having trouble viewing the keyboard as the background and text colors are both white. The configuration files don't appear to have an option to edit colors.

I did launch it with the previously mentioned command using personal launcher, it did not help.

Code:
/bin/sh -c 'GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Diablo5/gtk-2.0/gtkrc xword'
Has anyone found a solution? Thanks in advance. (screenshot attached)
Attached Images

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Best to ask the user kroll on that one.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
So I finally got around to getting xword to run on my N900. I am by no means proficient enough to devise a "proper" installation (i.e., .deb package, click-to-open icon, etc). But, I did manage to get it running via xterm. Here are the steps I took:

1. Go to the garage page for xword (https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=620)

2. Download the latest tar file and extract. I extracted it on my PC, and moved the "trunk" folder onto my N900

3. Go into the "trunk" folder in xterm and enter the command "python xword"

It works reasonably well for the most part. You do have to be careful to manually close the puzzle you are working on from the menu and exit the program from the menu, or the program will crash if you try running it again. However, if you do the manual puzzle close and program exit, the program does run again and your work-in-progress puzzle will be there when you load it again.

(Edit to add: I'm assuming that I ended up with the proper python dependencies as a natural artifact of my 2+ years of N900 usage)

Last edited by klinglerware; 2012-02-03 at 23:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post: