Active Topics

There were rumors Nokia is going to bring only one more Symbian Phone, the successor to N8. Nokia/MSFT is scared sh*tless because sales of WP7 flopped so badly.

There are still a lot of people who have a lot of trust in Nokia, in emerging/ developing markets where they are still big. And those people are buying Symbian when they buy a Nokia smartphone cause that is what they know. And if they are looking for a different platform than Symbian, they look at iOS, Android and blackberry, and mostly move to Android and iOS. That is what is happening in India, traditionally one of the biggest markets and stronghold of Nokia

So now they probably will kill Symbian, so all those people who are going to buy Nokia smartphone have only one option: WP7. This way they want to make sales of WP7 higher artificially.

By the way , don't you think it is funny that Mynokiablog.com always are trying to present the sales of Lumia as if they sold very well, always focusing on small markets like The Netherlands? I live there and I can tell you I don't see much WP7/ Lumia around here. All iOS, BB, Android here.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

I see it in Poland, but unlike the rest I take into account some 100M people whose contracts are about to end in next few months. They will leave nokia, but there is 1B following who will end up with WP they are not tmo fanbois, they will keep to a trusted maker, this is what M$ bought, not iTechie fanbase, people accustimed to high quality will unknowingly build WP

Posts: 1,238 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
Indeed... no matter how much symbian would improve, still its success would completely dictate nokias fate. If it fails, nokia fails. If WP fails, nokia can just stop paying license payments to ms at the same second, no need to wait for an year or more to get rid from paying own (ex)employers..
Symbian is still profitable for Nokia but Elop still want to kill it. there are also rumors that successor of Nokia N8 will be the last Symbian device. I believe if this is true then in the same year (2012) Microsoft will buy Nokia for sure as they will have nothing except WP.

Selling their ad branch which Navteq uses to show ads on Maps and also sold many Patents to other companies wireless related. Wait and watch what will happen next. Nokia will die painfully.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
Symbian is still profitable for Nokia but Elop still want to kill it. there are also rumors that successor of Nokia N8 will be the last Symbian device. I believe if this is true then in the same year (2012) Microsoft will buy Nokia for sure as they will have nothing except WP.

Selling their ad branch which Navteq uses to show ads on Maps and also sold many Patents to other companies wireless related. Wait and watch what will happen next. Nokia will die painfully.
Windows Phone sucks and it'll have shitty sales. Elop will blame everything, look for excuses. Maybe he'll say that N9/N8/whatever is responsible for bad sales and kill it once and for all. Then still no one will buy WP. Then Nokia will be financially a living dead. Then someone decides (Elop? Gates? whoever) to buy Nokia and return to MeeGo/Symbian as a successful systems and Nokia will get value. This way, the buyer will get a great load of $$$.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Windows Phone sucks and it'll have shitty sales. Elop will blame everything, look for excuses. Maybe he'll say that N9/N8/whatever is responsible for bad sales and kill it once and for all. Then still no one will buy WP. Then Nokia will be financially a living dead. Then someone decides (Elop? Gates? whoever) to buy Nokia and return to MeeGo/Symbian as a successful systems and Nokia will get value. This way, the buyer will get a great load of $$$.
From the rumblings deep in the bowels of Nokia, WP7 is already enjoying shˇtty sales. It's gonna be an uphill struggle for them to cling to the fraying rope that is WP7. What's HTC's stance on WP7, are they enjoying better sales or are they struggling to push their devices with it on.
Nokia, on the other hand popped the champagne corks a few weeks ago when they announced that they had sold their 1.5billionth S40 device to date.
Seems the options are to cling to a platform that's just barely staying afloat or take a couple of steps back and go back to Meego or Maemo. I'm not sure about Android at this moment in time, after reading of their latest attempts to integrate everything Google into one "ecosystem". And yeah, I hate that word, means nothing to me, sounds just like a passing fad.

I wouldn't wanna have an Android phone... (one great spied user experience - now they're gonna register e.g. from where we log in to Gmail, etc.)

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
one "ecosystem". And yeah, I hate that word, means nothing to me
I think 'ecosystem' is a euphemism for prison, it's the worst imaginable kind of vendor lock-in.

I originally thought Elop was deliberately driving down the value of NOKIA so M$ could buy it at a knock down price and use NOKIA's extensive patent portfolio as a stick to beat Apple and Google with.

As revealed by the defence in the Barnes and Noble case though there seems to be evidence to suggest Elop has already transferred thousands of NOKIA patents into a third party company in Canada where they are already being exploited to the benefit of M$. If this is the case it means an M$ purchase of NOKIA is probably no longer necessary, Elop will just continue to cream off any patents M$ want.

It's hard to see where NOKIA can go from here, without their prime patents to protect them even if they dumped Elop/WP7 and went back to a high quality, high functioning OS Apple and Google would undoubtedly use their lawyers to give them a kicking.

I'd be very interested to know what motivated NOKIA's board to go along with all this.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
As revealed by the defence in the Barnes and Noble case though there seems to be evidence to suggest Elop has already transferred thousands of NOKIA patents into a third party company in Canada where they are already being exploited to the benefit of M$. If this is the case it means an M$ purchase of NOKIA is probably no longer necessary, Elop will just continue to cream off any patents M$ want.
...Sendo, anyone?

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I think 'ecosystem' is a euphemism for prison, it's the worst imaginable kind of vendor lock-in.

I originally thought Elop was deliberately driving down the value of NOKIA so M$ could buy it at a knock down price and use NOKIA's extensive patent portfolio as a stick to beat Apple and Google with.

It's hard to see where NOKIA can go from here, without their prime patents to protect them even if they dumped Elop/WP7 and went back to a high quality, high functioning OS Apple and Google would undoubtedly use their lawyers to give them a kicking.

I'd be very interested to know what motivated NOKIA's board to go along with all this.
Very interesting... Where did you found it out?

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I wouldn't wanna have an Android phone... (one great spied user experience - now they're gonna register e.g. from where we log in to Gmail, etc.)
I'm not sure what data is collected on stock Android but I'm pretty sure custom ROMs mean nothing is collected.

Pretty much all OS collect your data though so Nokia is no longer safe. WP7 has a habit of collecting data even when you opt out of everything, they were taken to court and denied it for months until Rafael Rivera showed that it was sending location and Wi-Fi data to MS without the users permission. Then further delaying a fix they admitted it was a bug that they would get round to fixing in the next major release. Then another privacy bug was found after the first was fixed ,in the Me hub, which also sends your wi-fi data to MS.

MS argue that they (much like Google and their Streetview cars) "unintentionally" collected this data from you, do you think MS are going to delete the data now that they have it? Fat chance.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows