Originally Posted by afaq View Post
I havent seen any magic on the Playbook so you will have to judge if a web browser for $200 is worth it.
Well for one thing it has the best browser out of any ARM tablet or phone. Its also got a great MultiTasker (in some ways better than the N900). The specs are nice (decent screen, soc, battery, ports) though the design is bad and quite heavy.

But then again $200 is relatively cheap. Just compare this to any Chinese craplet, its much better by a longshot. Its easily rootable, and there are Jailbreak Apps available (nothing spectacular besides weak emulators). I think I will hold unto it until 17th Feb and test out the QNX v2 (aka BB X ??).

Otherwise its a tablet filling a niche part of my use (the NOTE is my Super smartphone, the Toshiba Ultrabook is my Super small personal computer).

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
No electronics are worth 'holding' for their value... you should keep them only if you plan to use them.
Their value goes down on a daily basis...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
i am sure you did a good research in the forum before
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...highlight=ebay
I was thinking about buying from the same seller mentioned in the thread as they had rave reviews. Like neowolf, I went through the seller's history looking for comments from n900 sales. I noted most comments I read were positive though there was a 1 star that mentioned that they got a used n900 but also followed up with that they were refunded their money. Of course there was wasted time and shipping fees involved. Of the positive comments, it looked like they were made about a full month after their purchases, so I'm assuming they received their n900s already. I didn't see any comments about missing or low quality accessories. It looks like that linked thread was pretty old, so maybe things have changed? I'll be looking forward to neowolf's findings...

I also was wanting to purchase a N900 on ebay but most of the listings are from Chinese sellers. I have contacted one of them who swears it is all genuine, at least as far as the phone goes, some of the originally included accessories that normally would have came with the phone if purchased in the US or Europe from official sources for some reason are not included, I couldn't really get a straight answer out of him regarding that. I am still hesitant to buy one from a Chinese seller, they are pretty sneaky on ebay. One of the sellers is obvious that he has 2 or 3 different accounts with identical feedback but different User ID's so you have to be careful with who you buy from on there.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Well for one thing it has the best browser out of any ARM tablet or phone. Its also got a great MultiTasker (in some ways better than the N900). The specs are nice (decent screen, soc, battery, ports) though the design is bad and quite heavy.

But then again $200 is relatively cheap. Just compare this to any Chinese craplet, its much better by a longshot. Its easily rootable, and there are Jailbreak Apps available (nothing spectacular besides weak emulators). I think I will hold unto it until 17th Feb and test out the QNX v2 (aka BB X ??).

Otherwise its a tablet filling a niche part of my use (the NOTE is my Super smartphone, the Toshiba Ultrabook is my Super small personal computer).
All good points. WebOS is a great OS to use but if you have a genuine use for a tablet (i dont) then it becomes a web browsing device.

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
All good points. WebOS is a great OS to use but if you have a genuine use for a tablet (i dont) then it becomes a web browsing device.
I have never owned a Touchpad but have used one pretty extensively as well as having owned a Pre 3 not long ago which is running pretty much the same version of webOS (visually speaking). I also own a Android tablet which I am in the middle of selling as well as an iPad 2 which I am still struggling to have a decent use for aside from the occasional game and Netflix.

Current tablet's and I can speak for all tablets out there regardless of OS's (excluding Windows 7 tablets which there are only a handful of) are purely consumer devices with smartphone OS's loaded on them and that's why I am selling my Android tablet, I cant really use it as I would a netbook or low end laptop (I have the keyboard dock with it), performance is just too sluggish to use in that way without daily frustrations.

The Following User Says Thank You to jdmp10 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
The market that finds them suitable are

- Those who only browse the web (no uploading/download)
- Those who do not need to perform any processor hunger tasks (e.g. photo/video editing)
- Those who need a big screen to check emails whilst traveling
- Those who need to play games/ read books on public transport on a unsuitable device

my sony Z series serves all my mobile needs. Super light and a heavy weight in power nothing comes close. Of course individual needs dictate the device.

I've recently bought an N900 from ebay seller cellphoneforever. The phone is marked as "new", box as "unopened", etc. Cellphone is refurbished, box is not new, tv cable was missing, 2 screws are missing, usb cable doesn't work, and it says that it was made in Finland... Yeah, right, according to IMEI, it was made in Korea. I bought it for 200 USD.

So, I suggest: do not buy "new" chinese phones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diablo_17_bj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
FWIW, my N900's IMEI says it was made in Korea. It was sent directly to me by Nokia. I think that all N900s say they were designed in Finland.

Last edited by geneven; 2012-02-12 at 21:51.

Yes, I know that, but on this model it says literally "made in Finland" under the battery...