Active Topics

okay....after more than a month of research i came to the conclusion that n900 has a problem with the sim card slot. initial it starts as a hardware problem(sim card slot) and than it goes to be a soft error.
all this is because the sim card is moving...or the connections under the slot are bad, when the phone is on.this will trigger the soft error.
if this keeps happening, the error will not allow the recognition of the sim.
when my phone start having the problem, a reboot would fix it.
after a while it was harder and harder to recognize the sim.
eventually it was not recognizing the sim at all.
i got a different phone,but i didn't gave up on n900.
i took the board out, and with a heat gun, i heated around the sim slot, i erase the hole memory, and format it.
after that i had the pleasant surprise of my n900 recognizing the sim, after i month of no sim.
i try to create the problem back, so i can convince that is the slot the problem, and i put the n900 on a table and start pounding the table to create hard vibrations....and then boom...the n900 lost connection, and after i stopped , it came back.
so the problem it is still there with the slot.not as badly
i did put some rubber between the battery and the sim slot ,so it holds it in place good, even in case of hard vibrations.
this is week 2 after i fix my phone, and it performs good

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doarmihai For This Useful Post:
Hi All,

My N900 started to have the same issue, when I pressed in the middle of the bottom side of the screen bezel when the keyboard was open, it would recognize the sim card so i knew it was hardware related.

I then tried this:
"i did put some rubber between the battery and the sim slot ,so it holds it in place good,"

This seems to be working fine, thanks!!!
Too bad the simcard reader is badly soldered or something, my phone is now about 1 year and 10 months old but I planned to be using it a lot longer. Thanks for the suggestion doarmihai!

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Rochdale UK
thanx very much dormehai that works solve my problem. put some papers under the battery and fow top of the battery not a problem at all anymore.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by windows7 View Post
is this what you guys seeing?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66870

if yes, send it back to nokia to be fixed under the 2 year warranty, should be back within 10 days approximately. i beleive you can arrange this also via web site and someone collects it, but intructions are on the site, nokia shop process mine instead.
Well. If you are lucky then you may get your phone back. I got an E7 in return... "Sorry we could not repair your N900..."

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Senegal
No sim card is recognizing on my N900. Please, Who can help me out immediately. Thanks in advance.

N900 Problem: hard to start

i have a problem tooo... i ve flashed for all firm disponible... and ;;...doest wrk...mabe se the network mabe not...

n900 conected on pc does t have a problem...mabe out the cable doest recognized...very crazy telephoun

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
Originally Posted by doarmihai View Post
okay....after more than a month of research i came to the conclusion that n900 has a problem with the sim card slot. initial it starts as a hardware problem(sim card slot) and than it goes to be a soft error.
After reading the whole thread about "SIM Card Not Recognized", I wasn't keen on changing provider with a new SIM.
Last friday, I received the new SIM and checked the card slot thoroughly.
It looked very solid and the SIM is like embedded, and anchored, so no hardware problems.
After testing and using my N900 for 2 days, no problems at all, just used the sync time now widget and that's it.
Here's my post on the MV thread.
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

Originally Posted by doarmihai View Post
all this is because the sim card is moving...or the connections under the slot are bad, when the phone is on.this will trigger the soft error.
if this keeps happening, the error will not allow the recognition of the sim.
when my phone start having the problem, a reboot would fix it.
after a while it was harder and harder to recognize the sim.
eventually it was not recognizing the sim at all.
i got a different phone,but i didn't gave up on n900.
i took the board out, and with a heat gun, i heated around the sim slot, i erase the hole memory, and format it.
after that i had the pleasant surprise of my n900 recognizing the sim, after i month of no sim.
i try to create the problem back, so i can convince that is the slot the problem, and i put the n900 on a table and start pounding the table to create hard vibrations....and then boom...the n900 lost connection, and after i stopped , it came back.
so the problem it is still there with the slot.not as badly
i did put some rubber between the battery and the sim slot ,so it holds it in place good, even in case of hard vibrations.
this is week 2 after i fix my phone, and it performs good
Hello guys...! I bought from my friend an Nokia n900 and until now it worked properly. But 4 days ago it started not recognizing my Sim card.

I flashed my nokia n900, and now it is working, but sometimes when I try to make a call, i see the SimCard icon with the red slash and I am forced to reboot my phone.

I read the posts about this problem, and as I see, my problem is going to be bigger and bigger . And I read your post "doarmihai" and I wanted to ask you, did it still works (if you have it, of course)? Did your method worked? Did you hold the heat gun near the board or far from the board?

Tags
n900, not recognized, problem, sim, sim card, sim problem