Active Topics

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Code:
gconftool-2 -R / | grep passphrase
will show it.
tnx a lot bro

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 2,574 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Egypt, Cairo
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
guys help me to know how to hack into swiss national bank...i promise i wont steal much
It seems some people's main focus was how to make fun of the guy instead of bothering to even understand his question. He was asking how to read a wlan key that is already entered and stored on his phone, and not how to break into his neighbor's wifi! So eventually you only made fun of yourself. Congrats!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgalal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
That is _your_ opinion, and you are entitled to it. Howewer, it was clearly stated that his neighbors didn't want to provide the password again. (and therefore with high possibility didn't want him to have unsupervised access every time he wants by just entering the password once, therefore my "post-it note" remark).

So at least for me, it is clearly an attempted act of security circumvention ("breach") without consent provided by the affected party. Providing him with the ability to read-out stored passwords is just a nice sugar coating on top, to soothe your mind.

May you present it however you like it, those are the facts.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-02-21 at 10:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
That is _your_ opinion, and you are entitled to it. Howewer, it was clearly stated that his neighbors didn't want to provide the password again. (and therefore with high possibility didn't want him to have unsupervised access every time he wants by just entering the password once, therefore my "post-it note" remark).

So at least for me, it is clearly an attempted act of security circumvention ("breach") without consent provided by the affected party. Providing him with the ability to read-out stored passwords is just a nice sugar coating on top, to soothe your mind.

May you present it however you like it, those are the facts.
And who are you to be the judge? Retrieving information that is stored in your phone is not a crime - that was all this guy asked for. Obviously English is not his/her first language so maybe better words could have been chosen, but this is an 'international' community right? And we're happy to help people?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Rinse, repeat: "That is _your_ opinion, and you are entitled to it." You helped, others (including me) did not. Each to his/her own reasons. Language issues aside, IMHO they play a minor part here.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Rinse, repeat: "That is _your_ opinion, and you are entitled to it." You helped, others (including me) did not. Each to his/her own reasons. Language issues aside, IMHO they play a minor part here.
Yes, this is a public forum. Of course it's my opinion, your opinion and everyone else's opinion. As John Cleese once said: "10 out of 10 for stating the bleeding obvious"...

It's just sometimes my opinion happens to be correct

Yes, this is a public forum. Of course it's my opinion, your opinion and everyone else's opinion. As John Cleese once said: "10 out of 10 for stating the bleeding obvious"...

It's just sometimes my opinion happens to be correct
You are wrong his exact quote was

'Can't we get you on Mastermind, Sybil? Next contestant - Sybil Fawlty from Torquay. Special subject - the bleedin' obvious'

It's all in the details........

The Following User Says Thank You to ziggadebo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ziggadebo View Post
You are wrong his exact quote was

'Can't we get you on Mastermind, Sybil? Next contestant - Sybil Fawlty from Torquay. Special subject - the bleedin' obvious'

It's all in the details........

Thanks for the correction. Yes, details are important

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
And who are you to be the judge? Retrieving information that is stored in your phone is not a crime - that was all this guy asked for. Obviously English is not his/her first language so maybe better words could have been chosen, but this is an 'international' community right? And we're happy to help people?
it may not be a crime by law, but the morality of it is highly questionable

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
Interesting debate!

It "sounds" to me like the OP wants to get access to the neighbours' wifi via another device. Probably his laptop.

He somehow got the neighbour to give him the pass for the N900 thinking it's harmless (that's what you get for not knowing what N900 is) and now he can't see the chars to type into his laptop wireless network config.

... the plot thikens!

The Following User Says Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:

Tags
password